Flea Market outside port area

elektrawmn

Saw a couple of posts about a flea market just outside of the secure port area. Do they accept US Dollar there?

Thanks!

yes they do, and there are some great items there so be sure to barter! And like someone else said, make sure your change is in american, or just make sure you take enough small bills not to have to deal with change

I definitely want to go to this flea market, but I keep hearing about it being dangerous outside the port gates and all the hawkers trying to sell stuff to you. On the other hand, I've also heard that you just have to be careful, as in any place, and if you go after about 1:00 PM, the hawkers are usually gone. Anyone have any recent experience like this in Belize?

You will see the shops right outside the gates. There was some good stuff. We walked by with no harassment and went into the city to dine and shop. We found items just as good and at times cheaper more deeper in the city. We walked into stores that seemed more non-touristy and these had much less of a pressure sale. I was looking for certain bottles of rum produced in Belize. Even with commob rum like Barrel 1, which is not bad at all, the price was cheaper in the city than it was at the Liquor shop in the Tourism Village. Town felt safe and folks were very nice.

I definitely want to go to this flea market, but I keep hearing about it being dangerous outside the port gates and all the hawkers trying to sell stuff to you. On the other hand, I've also heard that you just have to be careful, as in any place, and if you go after about 1:00 PM, the hawkers are usually gone. Anyone have any recent experience like this in Belize?

It is RIGHT outside the gates of the secure port area and everything is right in plain sight so I really don't think security is a problem. If you exercise normal safety habits I don't think you will have any problem. My daughter and I had no weird feelings at all about walking around there alone. We were there probably around 3pm after touring the city and all the stalls were full. The hawkers for the braided hair and bracelets hanging off their arms were indeed gone but we saw that as a large plus

You will see the shops right outside the gates. There was some good stuff. We walked by with no harassment and went into the city to dine and shop. We found items just as good and at times cheaper more deeper in the city. We walked into stores that seemed more non-touristy and these had much less of a pressure sale. I was looking for certain bottles of rum produced in Belize. Even with commob rum like Barrel 1, which is not bad at all, the price was cheaper in the city than it was at the Liquor shop in the Tourism Village. Town felt safe and folks were very nice.

GREAT info! Thanks so much!

We were there last summer and walked out to the craftsmen's market. Like others have said....some of the hawkers were a pita. But we liked the market and bought several very nice woodcarvings....be sure and barter! We're going back in November and we'll be checking out the woodcarvings again. ;)

Although not really recent- we were there in Dec of 2011. Yes they took American $. But like someone said, try to have correct amount. We were there later in afternoon, felt perfectly safe. Some good bargains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just off the Liberty last week and spent some time going thru the few stalls outside the port area..much of it is SSDP ( Same Stuff, Different Port)..but the carved mahogany piece we bought with US dollars was worth the $27 we paid for it in the details alone... Most of the jewelry is imported from everywhere but Belize,as we saw the same stuff in Roatan...

Just stay together..the shops are not that far from the port entrance. We were fine. I didn't find them to be overly pushy at all.

We've been outside the secure area to catch a cab to the airport. Yes there were a few aggressive hawkers. But an assertive and polite NO was all it took. Also told them we were going to the airport.

In fact, I may use that same line next time.:p

After flying back that afternoon we got cheap Belikins outside the gate.

Archived