Diving in La Romana/Bayahibe?

BigRed93

Limited info out there, so if anyone could help I would sure appreciate it-

-if you went diving as a ship excursion, were you picked up at the dock, or transferred to Bayahibe? Which dive op was used? How was it? We are on Carnival if that makes a difference.

-if you went with a local dive op, who did you use, what was the taxi fare to get to their shop, how many people on your boat, how was it?

we usually go with someone other than the ship, but sometimes time and logistics just make sense to go with the ship. I just don't have enough info about this port to make an informed decision and most info out there is re: multi-day land based diving, not 1/2 day stops.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide! :D

Well, I will share what I have found out so far since info is pretty non-existent. The dive op that Carnival uses is ScubaFun and they do pick you up at the ship, do The Wall and The Aquarium off Catalina.

Comparing prices -the 2 tank plus the excursion add on - the prices are comparable and when you add the taxi fare and r/t travel time you won't be paying, I think you almost come out ahead with the ship:eek: The ship also includes all gear in their price. We, however, will be lugging ours around. The only concern I would have is the 20 divers that can sign up, and having just come off a boat in the keys with 28 divers, not sure I want to experience that cluster again soon.

Still looking for info if anyone has any experience in DR.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I know that there are different options for those divers coming to La Romana on a cruise ship.

I know that the guys from Coral Point Diving in Bayahibe can come to pick you up directly at the dock in the morning and bring you back before your Ship leaves again. They don't offer just Catalina Island but they are willing to take you to Bayahibe and let you dive some dive sites in the National Park too (the reef is beautiful and even better that the Wall in my opinion). They are not expensive and you will be most probably diving in small group which is always a good thing. Have a look at

http://www.coralpointdiving.com/ENG/Diving/Cruise.html

I hope this helps

Archived