Formal Night

swimjimmom

Some do, some don't, you will see everything from Tux and gown to shorts and golf shirts. I personally do not bring a sports jacket, nice slacks and a dress shirt. The first "elegant night" we are going to the Steak House.

Not very as Carnival now calls it Cruise Elegant Night.

You may see some tux's and suits but sports jackets, shirts and ties or shirts and slacks are more commonly seen on the guys. Very few evening gowns but dresses and even slacks/capris and blouses for women are more the norm.

Please help! How formal is Carnival's 5 day cruise out of Jacksonville? Do people really dress up formal for 1 night on a 5 day cruise? Help

I'm thinking a "small church", dress. I'm taking one nice (non-wrinkle) black dress and dressing it up with jewelry. Easy and light to pack!

People will usually dress up, even if just a little, for Cruise Elegant night if they're eating in the MDR. You always have the option of eating elsewhere (Lido buffet, pizza, room service, etc.) if you don't feel like dressing up a bit. It doesn't have to be much: slacks instead of jeans, nicer shirt, etc.

I really don't like dressing up, but on Cruise Elegant nights I'll want to wear slacks and a nice shirt. My mom, who likes a bit more formality, will strongly encourage me to wear a suit and tie, though, on our upcoming cruise. :) (She doesn't like Norwegian because they basically have no formal nights at all, yet she doesn't like Holland America because they require a jacket every night at dinner. I'm guessing she wouldn't like Cunard AT ALL. :) )

On the Splendor last year, I just wore a shirt and tie with decent slacks and shoes. This year, on Legend, I plan on wearing a nice charcoal jacket with black slacks and decent shoes (and shirt and tie). I saw people dressed in all manners. The maitre d actually thanked me for dressing a bit.

Some do, some don't, you will see everything from Tux and gown to shorts and golf shirts. I personally do not bring a sports jacket, nice slacks and a dress shirt. The first "elegant night" we are going to the Steak House.

You might want to reconsider the sport jacket if eating in the steakhouse on elegant night.

We did this once and hubby wore slacks, shirt, and tie. The server came by a put a jacket on the back of his chair to make it appear he had worn one. I was a bit insulted but let it go. Any other night the attire was not questioned.

Never heard of that, jacket is not required, and not our first Steakhouse dinner. The suggested dress code on the website is casual elegant, jackets are only suggested. If someone put a jacket on the back of my chair, it would be on the floor.

I guess the server in the Steak House took his initiative from:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Perhaps that particular Steak House decided to require Carnival's suggested dress code.

I don't think required and suggested should be in the same sentence. I have seen many people in the MDR on "elegant"nights night wearing a jacket, same rules apply to the Steakhouse. I am pretty sure they will take our $70.

On the Splendor last year, I just wore a shirt and tie with decent slacks and shoes. This year, on Legend, I plan on wearing a nice charcoal jacket with black slacks and decent shoes (and shirt and tie). I saw people dressed in all manners. The maitre d actually thanked me for dressing a bit.

I wouldn't like wearing a jacket every night on Holland America either.

I'm glad that rule wasn't in effect when we cruised on them a few years ago.

I wonder why they changed the dress code to more formal but everybody else is going the opposite direction?

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of that, jacket is not required, and not our first Steakhouse dinner. The suggested dress code on the website is casual elegant, jackets are only suggested. If someone put a jacket on the back of my chair, it would be on the floor.

I am trying to remember if this was when it was still call "formal" night and not elegant night. Maybe that was why.

Seriously folks. We can dress with the best of them, but we are in the Carribean for crying out loud. Putting restictive panty hose on menapausal women and jackets on overweight men is asking a bit much for the climate.

A cocktail dress with cute sandals and a button up shirt with or without a tie should be sufficient.

The fascination is the only ship I have been on that everyone went all out, dressed to the nines, for elegant night. I was wearing a nice cocktail dress and my hubby a nice jacket and slacks and we felt completely under dressed. Even the little kids were in tuxes. Saw lots of formal ball gowns and white tuxes. Many military uniforms also. It was actually the best elegant night I have ever seen.

DH and I dress like we are going to a wedding. I wear a cocktail type dress and DH wears dress slacks, dress shirt, and sometimes a tie. The majority of people are dressed similar to us. You will also see those that are dressed in ball gowns and tuxes and those in khakis.

fascination does not have a steakhouse, if i am correct!

Archived