Rape on Carnival

purplemusik

I hope this pushes Carnival to set a curfew since a lot of parents seem to think it is okay & safe to let their kids roam all night on a cruise ship.

It doesn't say in any of the news articles what time of day or night this happened. It could have just as easily happened in the middle of the day, when curfews would make very little difference, or at 7 PM right after dinner.

What would probably really help protect kids in this situation would be if there was some kind of stricter child monitoring system. They have these for cell phones now, for example, where parents can set their phone to alert them if their kid leaves a certain area or radius. Also, does Carnival have phones in the bathrooms? It says that the girl's friend was locked in the bathroom while the girl was raped. You have to think if she had a phone, she could have called for help. Or if she had some kind of a pager device that contacts ships security? Like a Life Alert for kids on board.

Don't want to be misunderstood - definitely NOT blaming the victim here...I just think parents need to really be more careful with their kids on trips like this...just too risky - and the fact that she was "plied" with alcohol...clearly indicates nobody supervising a group of teens who were given alcohol by a sicko with disgusting motives....

Thank you.....she deserved to be protected.....

I truly wish that all of the criminal POS get what they deserve in this matter, life in prison, but they will not. But this needs to be a wake up call to parents, THE CRUISE SHIP IS NOT YOUR BABYSITTER. When you take your kids on vacation it is to spend time together as a family, not to let them run around as they please just so they stay out of your hair. Every cruise I go on I see kids running freely with no adult around. I could not imagine the guilt I would feel if something happened to my daughter because i was to wraped up in my own world to spend my time with her. The last cruise we were on my DW and I met a woman cruising with her 15 year old son, we seen her several times at dinner, lunch or wine testing. Not one time did she know where her son was while on the ship.

Thank you! Well said...

That's probably true, especially because, while sickos do walk the Earth (unfortunately), women and men are much more likely to be raped by someone they know than someone they don't. And much less likely to report it, especially when they have to see that person on the ship every day. Not to mention cruise ships are full of foreign employees who could think they risk losing their jobs if they reported assault from a passenger (I hope Carnival trains its employees about what to do in these situations, and would take the employee at their word, but I can see how this could easily happen).

And the truth is, you can set curfews (does it even say what time this happened?), you can insist people go in groups (note that she was accompanied by her friend and a group of boys her own age), you can make rules about going into cabins (very sensible, IMO), but honestly, people are raped because rapists rape them. If this guy/these guys hadn't lured the girl into their room with the intent of raping her, if they hadn't thought it was ok to treat a person like a sexual toy instead of a human being, if they weren't rapists, she would have been spared the ordeal. I'm sure she thought she was a smart girl who knew who to trust and who not to trust. Blame for these events rests squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrators and I hope they go to jail for a long, long time.

I agree with everything you said here. But, rapists do exist (sadly) and we women (especially young women) need to always take precautions. This should never be sugar-coated, especially to teenagers. And these days (not that it never mattered) it does not matter that they are with teen boys their own age. Young girls (or anyone, male or female, regardless of age) should be aware (or made aware by their parents) of strategies that can help keep them safe. Nothing is ever failsafe, but risk can, at least, be mitigated by what we do and often by what we DO NOT do. I am not talking about blame here; I am talking about risk. Not EVER going into anyone else's cabin is crucial. Also, not EVER letting anyone in their cabin is also paramount to safety. Not accepting alcohol or other beverages from someone they don't know (a kid they just met on the cruise is someone they don't know). I am only naming a few protective measures; there are countless others. Bottom line is trying to lessen one's risk of becoming a victim. The bad guys are lazy, but shrewd, and look for those most vulnerable.

Will not go into detail about when or what ship, but I know a person who's daughter was raped several years ago on a cruise by crew members. This does happen so please stress to your daughters that this is not only passengers but crew members as well they need to watch out for.

It doesn't say in any of the news articles what time of day or night this happened. It could have just as easily happened in the middle of the day, when curfews would make very little difference, or at 7 PM right after dinner.

What would probably really help protect kids in this situation would be if there was some kind of stricter child monitoring system. They have these for cell phones now, for example, where parents can set their phone to alert them if their kid leaves a certain area or radius. Also, does Carnival have phones in the bathrooms? It says that the girl's friend was locked in the bathroom while the girl was raped. You have to think if she had a phone, she could have called for help. Or if she had some kind of a pager device that contacts ships security? Like a Life Alert for kids on board.

Apparently it was at 4:30 am and what would help protect kids is their parents realizing a cruise ship is not safe and making sure their kids were in their rooms at a reasonable time .

I have a couple of questions here. Since Carnival registers its ships in Liberia or Panama and the rape occurred at sea, under what laws can the perpetrators be charged? We are dealing with, I suppose, the laws of Liberia or Panama and/or maritime laws. Does anyone know how this works, or how this will work? I'm thinking that if a US citizen attacks another US citizen in (as an example) The Bahamas, Bahamian law would prevail, not US law even though both parties were US citizens. How does this work on the high seas with Panamanian or Liberian registered ships?

Pamela

OMG!! What a tragedy! Poor girls - this is the end of their childhood for sure! Predators like this need stiffer penalites - like 25 yrs or more in jail no exceptions. I live near this area and we have seriously considered taking our child on her first cruise with us - no way now! Not till she is much older and can defend herself! You never know about people and this is a prime example. :mad:

And this is why I have said over and over on CC to people that ask the stupid question, "Should I let my child/teenager roam unsupervised on the ship" I don't care how responsible you may think your child is, there is always going to be some idiot that could give them alcohol, or even offer them a coke with something slipped in it! You are on a boat with thousand of strangers, not in your hometown where you let them play outside till 11:00 at night. Jeez people, wake up and have a dose of reality!!!!:mad:

Apparently it was at 4:30 am and what would help protect kids is their parents realizing a cruise ship is not safe and making sure their kids were in their rooms at a reasonable time .

I'm just saying that I haven't seen any times listed in any of the news articles on this incident. If you've seen one that had the time in it, then I must have been mistaken. I searched quite a bit before posting and didn't find it. I agree that parents should be responsible for their kids and know where they are and where they go, but my point is that people automatically assume that things like this can only happen if you negligently let your kid wander around late at night, which isn't necessarily the case. There's as much risk in the day time as there is at night on a cruise ship.

I agree with everything you said here. But, rapists do exist (sadly) and we women (especially young women) need to always take precautions. This should never be sugar-coated, especially to teenagers. And these days (not that it never mattered) it does not matter that they are with teen boys their own age. Young girls (or anyone, male or female, regardless of age) should be aware (or made aware by their parents) of strategies that can help keep them safe. Nothing is ever failsafe, but risk can, at least, be mitigated by what we do and often by what we DO NOT do. I am not talking about blame here; I am talking about risk. Not EVER going into anyone else's cabin is crucial. Also, not EVER letting anyone in their cabin is also paramount to safety. Not accepting alcohol or other beverages from someone they don't know (a kid they just met on the cruise is someone they don't know). I am only naming a few protective measures; there are countless others. Bottom line is trying to lessen one's risk of becoming a victim. The bad guys are lazy, but shrewd, and look for those most vulnerable.

I agree with everything you've said too. Does that ever happen on CC anymore?

I remember hearing about this couple complaining on JH's page..but now to find out the complainer raped a young girl.. what a sicko.. I hope he goes to jail where "Connie" justice will prevail...sicko!!!

Can we have some follow up on this, what did the rapist complain about?

As a former juvenile hall staff member, I can say these boys knew damn well what they were doing. I would give each 20 to life also....

Yeah the part about the rooms made no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I agree with that since they say all ships sail full. If nothing else, they should have been made to forfiet the first room. Definatly a disaster in the making.

It is disgusting...these people are all over the place.

They think they need a vacation too, so do thieves.

A cruise ship is much the same as a small town, with all the good and bad that comes with

We just wish, and even feel safe, Not sure why...

I like to think the best of people, but I also know not everyone deserves that trust.

He needs to go to Prison, and those boys need to do time

if they were "Drunk" but still acted like that, they knew they were doing an awful thing.

They need to have the SEX OFFENDER label Tattooed on their foreheads.

If thy were still able to "perform" they were not drunk enough not to know right from wrong. I am sure they were encouraged by the adult, but at 15, still should have known better.

If thy were still able to "perform" they were not drunk enough not to know right from wrong. I am sure they were encouraged by the adult, but at 15, still should have known better.

Know right from wrong? Yes, by our standards. But, at that age, the hormones kick in, and they think with their "organ" and not beyond that, especially when you have friends rooting you on. It amazes me how people think they can get away with it in the first place, but on a ship where there's no place to run?

OMG!! What a tragedy! Poor girls - this is the end of their childhood for sure! Predators like this need stiffer penalites - like 25 yrs or more in jail no exceptions. I live near this area and we have seriously considered taking our child on her first cruise with us - no way now! Not till she is much older and can defend herself! You never know about people and this is a prime example. :mad:

I would not let a predator be the one to decide weather or not to take my child on a cruise. Thousands of kids go cruises every year without incident. And BTW it doesn't just happen on cruises. YOU just need to be a responsible parent and do not let your child run around the ship unsupervised.

I would not let a predator be the one to decide weather or not to take my child on a cruise. Thousands of kids go cruises every year without incident. And BTW it doesn't just happen on cruises. YOU just need to be a responsible parent and do not let your child run around the ship unsupervised.

Know right from wrong? Yes, by our standards. But, at that age, the hormones kick in, and they think with their "organ" and not beyond that, especially when you have friends rooting you on. It amazes me how people think they can get away with it in the first place, but on a ship where there's no place to run?

I'm pretty sure I was 15 once, yeah, I'm almost certain. I have never thought about, had the desire, or could have ever been "rooted" into the rape of another person. I started drinking at 13 ( not that I'm proud of that), but if I don't say it that will be the next excuse as to what led them to do that. I'm a believer that even if takes something or someone to push you to do something that violent, you already had it in you.

This reminds me of the mother of 3 boys (12-16) who allowed them to roam the ship freely 24/7, even though they always got in trouble in school. On the ship, then they got in trouble for, as I see it, almost starting a fire in their cabin.

Her excuse was that, in school, they got in trouble only because they talked back to the teachers, and of course, it was the "new friends" that they let into their cabin who had the cigarettes and alcohol.

I got flamed for my opinion...just about everyone else defended her.

I'm wondering how her 3 angels would have reacted in this situation.

And now people are saying NOT to let you kids roam unsupervised.

The bottom line is you have to know your kid.....really know your kid. And if your child needs supervision....then supervise.

Good to see nobody is blaming Carnival directly for this incident. Except for the poster who stated they should put a curfew on kids? Do know from personal experience these incidents are treated VERY seriously by Carnival.

Three people involved in the incident I refer too, two Italian Officers, and my daughter, employed by the entertainment department on the ship. Would like to add she was in her third year of working for Carnival at this time so not new to ship life, use to taking care of herself in many situations. She thankfully was not molested, but accosted late at night returning to her quarters. She was grabbed, held and and verbally abused when she resisted the advances of the the two officers but managed to break away and alert a friend. (Very distressed calls to mum on the other side of the world).

Carnival interviewed all three parties, because there were no witnesses, they then advised the FBI would be called in as officers denied it ever took place. (Incident happened in international waters). Each was advised FBI would be required they take a lie detector test. Daughter was happy to comply as she stated "I am not lying". Officers indicated they would refuse the test and were dismissed at next port of call.

Yes if incidents are reported correctly Carnival handle them.

Archived