Rape on Carnival

purplemusik

If this is the couple I am thinking off, and I apologise now if it is not them. They complained of a very loud noise/vibration in their cabin that interrupted their sleep. I think from memory it may have been a balcony cabin, and the ship gave them an interior cabin to sleep in but they requested to also retain their balcony which the ship allowed. Their major compaint was they had to go from one to the other to enjoy the amenities they had payed for.

This seems pretty bizarre. Anytime I have heard of anyone changing cabins, they always have to give up the first one.

Your comment makes sense, so the ship must have had several empty cabins.

I wonder if the guy's wife was fooling around with other men while he was sleeping with other women.

I don't believe anyone has judged her, have they ?

When someone writes "she should know better than to go to a room with strangers" and the like...that is judging her. So yes, there have been some within this thread that have judged her.

She is a VICTIM of RAPE for god's sake. :(

You're right, no one should ever be assaulted like this no matter what they do, but this was a 15 year old young woman. She should have known better than to go into the cabin of a stranger...and especially along with 4 or 5 males. Unless she and her friend are special needs individuals they should have known the dangers of going into the room with all those guys. That does not condone the rape but she willing went into the cabin to party and drink with those strangers. I didn't read anywhere where the females were forced to go into the room. I feel sorry for them both and hope they will be able to recover.

Seems there should be some video of the group taken somewhere on the ship. I thought there were cameras all over the ships. Were the girls drinking of there own accord, or did the guys slip stuff into their drinks? I hope they find enough evidence to get the males locked up.

Curfew is not a 'cure all'..

think back to YOUR teenage years.. Like me, you probably NEVER missed a curfew... Think about all those times you were out in places you KNEW you shouldn't be...but you could take care of yourself....

but if your parents knew what you were doing BEFORE curfew...

well, lets not go there, shall we? :p

The blame lands everywhere here -- yes, the girl is 15 and yes, it's HORRIBLE that this happened to her. But with social media the way it is and public awareness of rapes, murders, kidnappings -- kids have to have some awareness that taking alcohol from strangers in a strange cruise ship cabin is probably not the best choice...and seriously, adults, were you living under a rock when the Natalie Holloway case broke???? NO child is going to be the exception to the rule. NO, they are NOT. Because Joe Sicko (or Josephine Sicko for that matter) does not take how sweet OR innocent the kid is into consideration. Look up the definition of sociopathic behavior. No remorse. No guilt. No concept of right or wrong.

I work in the media -- it is IMPOSSIBLE to be unaware of the dangers out there unless you are living in Deliverance-land. As much as kids may be sullen and ticked off when you inflict punishment - oh well! too bad, so sad! They might live to have a job and a boss someday too!

When someone writes "she should know better than to go to a room with strangers" and the like...that is judging her. So yes, there have been some within this thread that have judged her.

She is a VICTIM of RAPE for god's sake. :(

Yes...she is a victim. But she did something foolish. If she didn't do something foolish, she wouldn't have been a victim.

Please understand...my heart goes out to her. But if she hadn't been doing whatever she was doing @ 4:30 am this wouldn't have happened.

It's just a lesson...be careful....wherever you are....no matter what your age is!

The blame lands everywhere here -- yes, the girl is 15 and yes, it's HORRIBLE that this happened to her. But with social media the way it is and public awareness of rapes, murders, kidnappings -- kids have to have some awareness that taking alcohol from strangers in a strange cruise ship cabin is probably not the best choice...and seriously, adults, were you living under a rock when the Natalie Holloway case broke????

That piece of human excrement will have a defense lawyer saying the same things as you.

And saying you work in the media as if it leads credance to the pathetic social position you're taking just adds to the sorry state of affairs we are in. Please tell me you're from somewhere other than Texas, I'd like to think we would have a different moral fiber when it concerns the rape of a child.

Seriously a couple of years ago we were on a 5 day cruise on Inspiration out of Tampa...our roll call was small...but this guy came on and told us he was travelling with his wife and young family and his mother in law was also coming along to take care of the children....but they were interested in meeting some women who would be interested in joining them for some sexual activities.....now it actually infuriated me because CC is so quick to *** out words...but somehow doesn't see this as a problem.........we were offended and told him so..........but none the less......he sailed and although no one on our CC group agreed....I can only imagine if they found some inebriated women or actually helped some women to become inebriated to help their cause..........it happens folks........be aware........I actually found myself on this cruise looking for such a couple to see if I could warn people.....

There are so many "kids" out there that see older folks having fun with alcohol and then some guy comes along and says...hey come on back to my room and have a drink....not a problem...and they want to experience it and bam....they guy has them....maybe CC should be seriously reading the posts not just bleeping what they consider bad words...but what may be a personality type that could be a predator.....

this young lady and indeed her friend who must have been totally freaking out knowing what was happening out there and not being able to help and even wandering about her own fate.......and the boys...hormones raging....this guy that led the pack needs to be stopped and reading that he was one of the "complainer" to JH.....just makes my toes curl.....JH is too nice sometimes.......just to be politically correct....when can we just call a spade a spade folks........and not have to worry about reprecussions....this guy sucks....not JH...the rapist..

Yes...she is a victim. But she did something foolish. If she didn't do something foolish, she wouldn't have been a victim.

Please understand...my heart goes out to her. But if she hadn't been doing whatever she was doing @ 4:30 am this wouldn't have happened.

It's just a lesson...be careful....wherever you are....no matter what your age is!

I'm sorry but did you really just imply that rape is 'just' a life lesson?? Please tell me that I misunderstood ...

I read this to mean that it is a lesson (or a caution) to any of us (women and girls no matter our age) to be even more vigilant as something like this could happen to any of us. Reading about this incident has prompted my travel companions and myself to revisit our rules for our own safety. Being on vacation, it can be easy to let one's guard down. We are very safety conscious, but this incident (although we are much older than the victim) has put the issue of safety on the front burner for our upcoming cruise in a few weeks.

I'm sorry but did you really just imply that rape is 'just' a life lesson?? Please tell me that I misunderstood ...

I believe she meant it was a lesson for others in safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Seriously a couple of years ago we were on a 5 day cruise on Inspiration out of Tampa...our roll call was small...but this guy came on and told us he was travelling with his wife and young family and his mother in law was also coming along to take care of the children....but they were interested in meeting some women who would be interested in joining them for some sexual activities.....now it actually infuriated me because CC is so quick to *** out words...but somehow doesn't see this as a problem.........we were offended and told him so..........but none the less......he sailed and although no one on our CC group agreed....I can only imagine if they found some inebriated women or actually helped some women to become inebriated to help their cause..........it happens folks........be aware........I actually found myself on this cruise looking for such a couple to see if I could warn people.....

There are so many "kids" out there that see older folks having fun with alcohol and then some guy comes along and says...hey come on back to my room and have a drink....not a problem...and they want to experience it and bam....they guy has them....maybe CC should be seriously reading the posts not just bleeping what they consider bad words...but what may be a personality type that could be a predator.....

this young lady and indeed her friend who must have been totally freaking out knowing what was happening out there and not being able to help and even wandering about her own fate.......and the boys...hormones raging....this guy that led the pack needs to be stopped and reading that he was one of the "complainer" to JH.....just makes my toes curl.....JH is too nice sometimes.......just to be politically correct....when can we just call a spade a spade folks........and not have to worry about reprecussions....this guy sucks....not JH...the rapist..

The fact that he came on CC and announced his intentions makes him anything but a predator to me, sicko maybe, but he wasn't out looking for 15 year old girls. Some people are just in to that kind of sexual stuff. And if you or anyone else on CC thought he was you should have alerted the authorities and Carnival.

Anytime I have heard of anyone changing cabins, they always have to give up the first one.

I wonder if the couple claimed to have lost a room keycard to the first cabin, but really kept it so they could still use the cabin?

If so, I also wonder why security didn't electronically "change the lock" on the first cabin once the couple had moved to the new cabin?

I wonder if the couple claimed to have lost a room keycard to the first cabin, but really kept it so they could still use the cabin?

If so, I also wonder why security didn't electronically "change the lock" on the first cabin once the couple had moved to the new cabin?

The report stated that Carnival allowed them to keep BOTH cabins.

It floors me that anyone is blaming this girl in any way. As a child, and 15 is still a child, your mental functions are not fully developed. Particularly reasoning abilities. That is why parents not only have to set ground rules but they need to monitor their children constantly to make sure their kids are following these rules. From what I have read on these boards a lot kids are given WAY to much freedom on cruises and a lot of parents seem to have a false sense of security. Hopefully more parents will realize this and start better monitoring their children while on a cruise.

Also, it is not the responsibility of the cruise line to 'parent' or monitor your children for you. The staff are strangers that shouldn't be trusted with your children anymore than a fellow passanger should be.

It floors me that anyone is blaming this girl in any way. As a child, and 15 is still a child, your mental functions are not fully developed. Particularly reasoning abilities. That is why parents not only have to set ground rules but they need to monitor their children constantly to make sure their kids are following these rules. From what I have read on these boards a lot kids are given WAY to much freedom on cruises and a lot of parents seem to have a false sense of security. Hopefully more parents will realize this and start better monitoring their children while on a cruise.

Also, it is not the responsibility of the cruise line to 'parent' or monitor your children for you. The staff are strangers that shouldn't be trusted with your children anymore than a fellow passanger should be.

There is not a single person on this thread blaming that poor child. The blame is on the SITUATION. We as parents can direct until we are blue in the face about rules and regulations, and its all we can do.

I know I was pretty damn indestructible as a teenager... but in truth,

I was damn lucky. Plain and Simple. Took growing up and being an adult to realize it.

Amen. For those who think that Carnival should impose a curfew: Just who do you think will be marching your teenager (teen girl) back to their/your cabin at midnight? Probably a male security guard, right. Someone in a uniform that is an authority figure that may be intimidating to a teen girl (or boy). These kids need the supervision of their parents even if it means booking the kids in the parents' cabin, making the kids go to sleep when the parents retire, or staying up late to meet the kids outside the venue if they have a late night activity.

Amen. For those who think that Carnival should impose a curfew: Just who do you think will be marching your teenager (teen girl) back to their/your cabin at midnight? Probably a male security guard, right. Someone in a uniform that is an authority figure that may be intimidating to a teen girl (or boy). These kids need the supervision of their parents even if it means booking the kids in the parents' cabin, making the kids go to sleep when the parents retire, or staying up late to meet the kids outside the venue if they have a late night activity.

Finally, someone besides me who doesn't think it's Carnivals job to parent people's kids Lol

Finally, someone besides me who doesn't think it's Carnivals job to parent people's kids Lol

I also agree it is not Carnival's job but too many parents on this forum think a ship is safe and allow their children free access at all hours .Last year there was a review of an Aunt or took her niece on vacation and allowed her to not only pull all nighters but to sleep on deck with other teenagers . That is insane !

Archived