Who cares about QE2 tapestries?

BindarDundat

Last month, it was reported that crew members had vandalized QE2 and thrown overboard a section of tapestry. Response on this board was prompt and emotional...among others, "cunarder" thought flogging and jail time would be appropriate; "CGT", "mufi", "guernseyguy", "rjms74", "mtbny7" also responded to that report. Last week, "sea-sea" posted a report from Cruise News Daily that the tapestry had been found (see thread "QE2 tapestries found")...no details, and none of the quick-to-judgement above seemed to have cared enough to comment. So, is it a hanging offence or not?

No one responded because after someone's been hanged, it's rather hard to undo it....

Actually, more than likely, these people were looking for support when grieving the assumed loss of a cherished artifact, but are quite capable of experiencing the relief of the tapestries being found in private. And, afterall, none was on the sentencing panel for the alledged miscreants. The offenses that seemingly were committed, however, might still justify jail time.

And I, too, am guilty of hyberbole once in a while when posting, so I tend to forgive others theirs more readily.

Hope the tapestries are truly found and restored in short order.

BindarDundat,

You should go back and read that thread. CGT and Godfreyb had mentioned about the flogging, charges, and jail time. I was refering to their thoughts on my post.

As far as the tapestries, I was brought up to respect other people's property. I have seen far too often that people do not repect other people or their belongings. It appalls me to see anything ruined for any reason - especially something that is priceless. Mindless acts of destruction has no excuse. Just because they found the missing tapestry doesn't mean we should all say that things are fine. They aren't! The damage has been done.

Ed

I would be pleased the tapestry has been found, however it says very little re the quality of the staff on Cunard that any member would behave so badly. I think the quality of staff at all levels has gone down including "the suits" in their corner offices in CA

Have just come off 12 day QE2, suffice to say the first thing I did next day after my return was to E mail my TA to cancel a 2006 cruise I had booked on QE2 .

Jimsgirl: Sorry you had an off-putting experience. Would you care to post more details? There must have been significant shortcomings.

Cunarder: my point in the original post was that there was great, sometimes emotional, interest in the original reports of vandalism, but that now there has been a post that tapestries have been recovered, nobody seems to care enough to comment.

Bindar

IF, the following were true.....

"A report in today's news states that during a White House reception for Republican donars, a drunken GOP official damaged historic and valuable antiques. One of the damaged items, a chair dating back to the Administration of Thomas Jefferson, was broken. Reports indicated that a portrait of Theodore Roosevelt was sliced in several places by a knife...."

I think people who are fond of the White House, as an American icon, might be entitled to be somewhat upset.

none of the quick-to-judgement above seemed to have cared enough to comment.

BindarDundat,

Do you not think you might be indulging in the 'quick to judgement' you accuse others of? If you read the posts carefully, you will see that some were questions of clarification - and since almost no new information has emerged since the 'found in where you least expect' I'm not sure what point further posts would have made. Talking of which, what exactly was the point of your post?

Peter

It would be a very long list indeed, but here is a selection. I booked my hotel and air through Cunard in order I would not be "left to wing it alone"

Arriving at Gatwick, no rep, no transportation to hotel - after managing to contact the agency used by Cunard I was told "there are plenty of cabs outside, hire one , get a receipt and give it to Cunard on the ship" Never mind that I had already paid for being met etc.

Hotel no rep there either. Next day rep had been booked to be in two places at same time . She chose the other location. I was told "sit in lobby, listen for a driver to call out your name"

There was a serious problem with my luggage, It was supposed to have been delivered to the ship by seperate carrier, but no one knew if it had arrived, not the baggage master or the security officer. took 90 mins of stress to find "its in your cabin" - fine, got to cabin to find I also had two cases belonging to other passengers.!

Dinner Menu said "exotic tea " took 3 nights and two sessions with Maitre D' to obtain my choice of tea . One night waiter even CUT OFF THE TEA BAG LABEL thinking he would get away with not giving me my tea of choice. naturally I spottted the deception, and he then said "you cannot have that tea in this dining room only in the Queens Grill" This is fact was a deliberate lie.

Several time at Breakfast the service was deplorable. No Napkins, no juices "we have none ", wrong food served, viz Eggs Benedict with English sausages ordered,- got just scrambled eggs! Another day Western omelet ordered got sausages with baked beans!

We were to pass QM2 one night. Cruise Director announced "In 15 mins on the starboard side " Passengers crowded outside, waited shivering to see this event. After 30 mins of nothing we all just gave up in disgust. ONE HOUR AFTER the announcement the the QM2 passed by ON THE PORT SIDE. How could the Captain (Bridge staff) make such an error in this technological era? Are we supposed to believe they really did not know where these two ships were in relation to each other - and other ships at sea?

One tour advertised "special event "afternoon tea in local hotel. The time for this special afternoon tea - 11AM in the morning!

Complete chaos and utter indifference from poor quality staff . a Mack Sennet Keystone cops cruise.

NEVER AGAIN

It would be a very long list indeed, but here is a selection.Complete chaos and utter indifference from poor quality staff . a Mack Sennet Keystone cops cruise. NEVER AGAIN

Jimsgirl....that sounds dreadful! Not unlike the QM2 before they put in Princess Maitre'D to sort it out....do you know where the Maitre'D was from - original Cunard, or a recent import?

Peter

I care about the QE2 tapestries! And I rather enjoyed the prompt and emotional responses to the incident. Ah, the ethos of rum, buggery and the lash! Yes, off with their heads! Such response is emotional, yes, the fan response. Then the passion indulged subsides.

Yet I do agree, BindarDundat, there were not a lot of posts of relief that the tapestry was found. Most odd.

What I find more odd is no general wonder. WAS a tapestry or piece REALLY found? When? How? Where? Was it a torn lower-left-hand corner of the left panel? Was it the full center Panel? In what condition was whatever found? From where the report?

Given the visissitudes of the internet and the rather widespread unreliability of much input, many sites, newsletters and even newspapers, I want to know more: what was found, if anything? Source it, someone, please; tell me more!

It would be a very long list indeed, but here is a selection. I booked my hotel and air through Cunard in order I would not be "left to wing it alone"

Complete chaos and utter indifference from poor quality staff . a Mack Sennet Keystone cops cruise.

NEVER AGAIN

Jimsgirl:

I'm very sorry to hear that you had such an awful time...just out of curiosity, why did you post this item on this particular thread ???

The topic of this thread is the QE2 tapestries and Mr. Bindar's amazement at our reactions to such.

Tom:confused:

We arrived home yesterday after a Norwegian Fjords cruise on the QE2, and while on board, I asked about the tapestries. I was told by a crew member that they had been found in the Funnel Bar in good condition, but they were not displayed. The crew member was unhappy because crew parties have been discontinued since the incident.

Archived