Post-cruise Harry Potter?

gladguy

After our cruise (next week!!) on the Freedom, my family will have a full day Sunday to enjoy Orlando. We will have a rental car, and a hotel to crash in at day's end. Our flight home is Monday morning.

My 10-year-old daughter is Harry Potter crazed, and really wants to see the attraction at Universal. I'm hoping for some guidance here (not much useful info I could find through Google, surprisingly!): things like, are the queues typically atrocious the first weekend in September? Could we get through the whole park in one day? Is it worth the $90/person entry? Anybody know of any 1-day ticket discounts?

Our "plan B" is to just spend the day at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

After our cruise (next week!!) on the Freedom, my family will have a full day Sunday to enjoy Orlando. We will have a rental car, and a hotel to crash in at day's end. Our flight home is Monday morning.

My 10-year-old daughter is Harry Potter crazed, and really wants to see the attraction at Universal. I'm hoping for some guidance here (not much useful info I could find through Google, surprisingly!): things like, are the queues typically atrocious the first weekend in September? Could we get through the whole park in one day? Is it worth the $90/person entry? Anybody know of any 1-day ticket discounts?

Our "plan B" is to just spend the day at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

Really depends on how much you want to do at Universal. If the Harry Potter area is the main thing, you could do this in a day. This will be Labor Day weekend though, so it will be crowded and lines for rides will be long. Personally, I would not pay the $90 for 1-day, for just the Harry Potter area. We're the type who wants to get their moneys worth.;)

However, if you know you won't be back to Orlando anytime in the near future, I say go for it! Your daughter will love it!!

a 10 year old's wants can be hard to ignore so if you decide to grin and bear it keep a few thoughts in mind

hours next Sunday are 9AM to 8PM according to their web page - you'll be hard pressed to make it by opening (getting off FREEDOM and then picking up a car) but it is possible. You won't be very late. (don't forget to figure in the parking cost and a LONG walk from parking to the actual park enterance) CityWalk is open much later.

I'd buy tickets in advance off the web .... save time.

head straight to HP - get it out of the way first if you can, and you can always go back for a second dose later (it really isn't that big IMO)

The Universal store in Orlando airport has most of the popular HP stuff like wands and the candy ... save time by saving the shopping.

to get bang for your buck consider the express pass - it is no good for HP but can help on most of the other popular rides. You do not have to buy this b4 you enter the park IME, they sell it all over the place UNTIL they sell X amount for the day, then no more.

can you "see it all" in one day? subjective question - living here, when I go it is usually spending a few hours in each of the two main areas, and lunch in City Walk - but I have a pretty good idiea of what I like and don't really care for. I think you can make a pretty good dent in one park in one day - BUT if you spend time in shows that can compete with ride time . . .

it has been plenty warm here of late, be prepared for HOT - DRINK LOTS OF WATER - and expect an afternoon thunderstorm to pass thru (which will temporarily close outdoor rides)

Ugh I feel your pain on this one. All I can tell you is, it is going to feel more like work than pleasure on that Sunday. It is going to be hot, humid, packed and a very, very long day. None of us know "how Harry Potter crazed" she is . . . but if she is truly a diehard Potter fan you may have to bite the bullet, because it truly is an awesome attraction especially for hardcore fans.

Me, I love Typhoon Lagoon . . . I have a blast there everytime I go.

The Harry Potter park is an area within Universal Florida, as mentioned above. You're definitely able to get through it in a day. I absolutely LOVED the land. I had taken my cousin for a high school graduation trip and we both loved every inch of that place. I even bought myself a wand and I'm 36! The butter beer was amazing and the food was pretty good. Felt like you were eating in the dining hall. I highly recommend going if she is a Harry Potter fan!

I've been able to see all of Universal in one day, but I am handicapped and used a scooter that day, so I was able to go through the handicapped entrance, which helped with time. It's not as big of a park as EPCOT. The price is close to the same price as Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon, unless you already have AP passes.

I think you probably should just bite the bullet and go to UA and WWOHP. Ten year olds who are denied are a pain to be around (I've been teaching middle school 27 years.....)

Archived