I want to rip my hair out!!

We just got back from Belize (just before Hurricane Ernesto). We went to Goff's Caye through Island Marketing...Sun Kissed Beach and Snorkeling and it was a dream day. Beautiful snorkeling and beach. Lobster from the grill for $8.00 with beans, rice, and corn. Free punch and water. There are no chairs or umbrellas, but a few picnic tables. We brought our own umbrella. It's a small island and there were not many people. Will definitely go again and use Island Marketing.

This sounds amazing!! I will look into it thanks for the suggestion!

AS stated before Belize is not a beach port. If I were to go again, I would stay on the boat. The compound area is JUST OK, not really great. It is warned not to leave this area. On our last trip to Belize, we went Cave Tubing which was ok. We drove through the city and I no understand why they say DO NOT LEAVE the COMPOUND. I really wish Carnival would choose another port... as this is my least favorite. I would love to somehow get over to Ambris Caye... Good luck

I seem to not be able to figure out what to do in Belize.

We would like to go to a beach to snorkel and lay out

I went to the ports section but I am not getting a straight answer

Please help me!!

The Carnival beach break excursion sounded wonderful but it got terrible reviews.

What to do??? What to do??:confused:

Don't pull your hair out -- then you will have to applu sunscreen to your scalp the entire cruise:rolleyes:

AS stated before Belize is not a beach port. If I were to go again, I would stay on the boat. The compound area is JUST OK, not really great. It is warned not to leave this area. On our last trip to Belize, we went Cave Tubing which was ok. We drove through the city and I no understand why they say DO NOT LEAVE the COMPOUND. I really wish Carnival would choose another port... as this is my least favorite. I would love to somehow get over to Ambris Caye... Good luck

I have heard that it is a bad port but we will not stay on the ship but we will def do an excursion. This seems to be the one port where an excursion is a neccessity. Cozumel, G.C., and Roatan seem like we can just go on our own to a beach.

YAY Spaniel Lover, I thought that I was the only one that hated cave tubing. It was beautiful during the small glimpses of light that you had but other than that it was cold, dark and dreary! The bats were just creepy, we kept hoping our daughter wouldn't notice them lol

If you want to snorkel and swim on a beach, do yourself a favor and book the Bannister Island Beach Break, but NOT through the ship. We tendered into Belize and met at the bar right on the pier. We then rode in a small boat, passed our ship and arrived at Bannister after about 25 minutes. When we got there it was Packed with people from the ship. However, we got back in the boat and spent the next hour snorkeling. When we arrived back again the island was deserted, and the 10 people on the boat had the run of the island. It's a very nice beach, they don't charge for chairs, and there's plenty of shade, restrooms and a bar and grill. Also free kayaking. I think you can book this through Island Marketing and you won't be disappointed. The guides took us to the barrier reef and one of them was in the water the whole time, pointing out different marine life and even bringing some to us to hold in our hand. I would do this again without thinking twice.

I've been to Belize 4 times. Twice we booked the snorkel excursion through Carnival out to Goff's Caye. Beautiful reef and water to swim. Few amenities but if you didn't want to snorkel, you could enjoy the water and beach. Not crowded.

Has a tendency to rain in Belize so you may want to bring ponchos. Glad we had them on the cruise in which we just toured the tourist area.

Last trip we did the Cave tubing excursion through Carnival. Good time! I hesitated booking through a local vendor only because I was concerned that if the vehicle broke down, and we're an hour from port, we'd miss the ship. Not worth the stress!

Bannister island is another option.

Don't miss this beautiful port!

We did the cave tubing last year, it was just ok IMO. This year we are doing a private tour w/ NCQ excursions. They are pricey, but have a variety of options & are experts on anything Belize. I am hoping to see more of the country this time.

I've been to Belize 4 times. Twice we booked the snorkel excursion through Carnival out to Goff's Caye. Beautiful reef and water to swim. Few amenities but if you didn't want to snorkel, you could enjoy the water and beach. Not crowded.

Our day at Goff's Caye in 2011 was one of our favorite excursions ever, but this year it was no longer an option offered by Carnival--replaced with Rendezvous Caye. The swimming was definitely better at Goff's Caye!

Goff's Caye 2011--lots of shallow area with white sand:

5877637405_7f8bc3557e_z.jpg

Rendezvous Caye 2012--more sea grass than sand:

7414494562_fd0c0352ea_z.jpg

Last time in Belize, we did the Altun Ha excursion through a private company and we liked it as well as the drive there. It's in a park, and I will tell you the restrooms there were sparkling clean! Very well organized. Someone else already mentioned the good shopping just outside the park. My niece brought home a bottle of the cashew wine, now there is something you are not going to find here in the states every day. I bought nicely made native wood containers and some other wood items that were really appreciated by those I gifted them to.

This cruise, since we are doing something else at every other port, Belize is going to be a resting day for a friend and I. We're going to the Wet Lizard for a good Belizean meal and a couple of ice cold Belikan beers, shop a little bit, then go back to the ship and hang out on deck or in the pools (which I will enjoy since they won't likely be packed with folks) Others in our group are going cave tubing and ziplining (if that is a real word).

It's really up to you how involved of an excursion you want to do, if you want to do one at all.

Glad you aren't as concerned now!

Have a great cruise!

Our day at Goff's Caye in 2011 was one of our favorite excursions ever, but this year it was no longer an option offered by Carnival--replaced with Rendezvous Caye. The swimming was definitely better at Goff's Caye!

Goff's Caye 2011--lots of shallow area with white sand:

5877637405_7f8bc3557e_z.jpg

Rendezvous Caye 2012--more sea grass than sand:

7414494562_fd0c0352ea_z.jpg

If Goff's Caye was that memorable, the next time you visit Belize, just take an independent tour there and you can enjoy it again and save money over what Carnival charged you previously.

• 2 weeks later...

This response is to nobody in particular - just to the "more than a few" who have made disparaging comments about Belize City.

The reason you're given warnings not to leave the compound is because the areas outside of the compound sell the same items you see at the mall and port areas at a much cheaper price. The cruise lines make a percentage of profits on what you buy at port. The warning has nothing to do with people being attacked while in Belize City. If it did, there wouldn't be a cruise port there -or at the very least you would be forced to not go into the city by the cruise line which could be held liable if you run into danger while at port.

There's nothing wrong with Belize City. I have been there before and the locals there are nice and actually just leave you alone for the most part.

The people here need to stop making Belize City out that it's the worst city in the world just based on looks and the economy of the area. If you were poor, life isn't as happy as "It's A Small World" after all. That doesn't mean though that the people of Belize City are criminals out to rob from you as some here have suggested.

What gets me is you made the decision to cruise by boat around a thousand miles in distance over thousands of feet of depth of water and you're too scared to do a little bit of walking near poor people. That's just sad.

If you don't want to go on an excursion that takes about an hour of driving to get to, then don't just stay on the ship. Go out and get a little bit of culture.

I agree that people seem to be afraid of the ports that have not been all "prettied up" for the tourists. You are not seeing anything authentic in most ports any more. I did not go into Belize when we were just there because we ran out of time. However, we did go on the Carnival excursion to Sargents Cay for snorkeling and had a great time. The guide we had was very excited to help us see the sea life. I would highly recommend it due to the enthusiasm to ensure we saw as much as possible.

Aleece

The fun challenge is trying to find the authentic-ness on Port days, Hang with locals, eat gibnut in Belize, drink guifidi in Roatan, wander beaches where no other tourists are seen. Then visit common places like grocery stores, schools, churches etc...

This has always been our plan on all 3 cruises for the most part. If we see other folks from the boat while in port, we feel we need to move inland more. Best trips are ones where locals suggest where to go or when we eat with locals.

• 4 weeks later...
Where or which area will the ship port? Does anyone know the time it takes to Ambergris Caye? Would like to see San Pedro also.

TIA :)

You'll anchor offshore near Belize City. Tenders will run back and forth. It's a longer tender of about 20 minutes each way. A lot of folks complain, but I see it as a nice boat ride in beautiful turquoise water.

I'd also like to visit Ambergris and have read some tales of folks here taking flights over for the day. For me personally, that's WAY too much risk of missing the ship if a thunderstorm or some other unforseen issue were to delay the flight back. The sail into Belize is amazing. One of my favorites watching the hundreds of tiny cays you wind through to get around the reefs to the anchor point.:)

Archived