questions about taking the train from Venice-Rome

happier

can someone help with this?

staying near the St Lucia station in Venice overnight after the NCL Sept 19 cruise this year.

need to know, do we need to book the train in advance to Rome or can we just buy a ticket at the station?

we plan to travel 2nd class and I see on cc sites that it should take about 4 hours if we take the quicker train -

will there be someone to ask which is the 'quicker' train?(we have hotel reservations in Rome for that evening.)

does anyone know about how much this trip should cost to get from Venice to the roma termini?

looked at the trenitalia site, but felt unsure how to proceed.(reservation? no reservation? quicker train? cost,etc):confused:

how soon before the train ride should we be at the station?

thanks for any help with these questions

Sue:o

Normally I would say that since you are going to be staying near the train station, you could simply stop in after you've checked into your hotel and buy your tickets then. There is a train every hour throughout the day so there's no risk that you won't get a seat. However, one benefit of purchasing in advance over the internet is that you may be able to get a reduced fare, which can be as much as 50% less, so it's worth considering.

Most trains between Venice and Rome are the fast Frecciargento trains, which take just under four hours to make the trip. Only about one out of every five each day are the slower IC trains, which take six hours to make the trip.

The Frecciargentos cost 80 Euro per person in second class. Discounts can bring this down as low as 39 Euro for tickets purchased in advance.

Since Venice Santa Lucia is the first stop on every train leaving from there, the train will usually be on the track well before your departure time. I would plan to be at the station at least 15 minutes before departure in order to get your luggage on and secured.

Trains leave hourly from Venezia St.Lucia for Roma Termini via Firenze S.M.N. .

Departures from Venezia St. Lucia from 0827 hourly at 27 minutes past the hour. Travel time is 3 3/4 hours. Seat reservation is compulsory . (No standees).

You can just front up and try and book but if the train is booked out you might wait many hours to a departure with available seats. So always best to book in advance both the travel ticket and seat reservations .

The trains involved originate at Venezia St.Lucia and as a security measure the platform of departure and boarding does not commence until a usual 20 minutes prior to departure .

Get your TA to book the tickets and seat reservations for you .

Venezia St.Lucia is the terminal station and located in Venice proper on the Grand Canal . After crossing the causeway linking Venice to the Italian Mainland there is a second station called Venezia Maestre, which only a few of the high speed trains stop at . So book and get on in Venice proper at St.Lucia.

I recommend printing them at hotel or home. I was lost at the station at the kiosk and the lines for the tellers are long. A nice Italian helped me get tickets at the station but on the way back I just printed them at the hotel and then you dont have to get to the station too soon before.

Venezia St.Lucia is the terminal station and located in Venice proper on the Grand Canal . After crossing the causeway linking Venice to the Italian Mainland there is a second station called Venezia Maestre, which only a few of the high speed trains stop at . So book and get on in Venice proper at St.Lucia.

Although this may not be relevant to the OP, for the benefit of others who may be reading this now or bringing the thread up in a later seach, all of the Frecciargento high speed trains between Venice Santa Lucia and Rome stop at Venice Mestre.

If one were to disembark a ship in Venice and wanted to make their way to Civitavecchia for embarkation the next day, what would be the least stressful way to travel with a suitcase and carryon each?

Since the most direct train options require a change in Rome, I'd take the train from Venice to Rome on day one, spend the night in Rome, then take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia on day two.

You could take the People Mover from the cruise port in Venice to Piazzale Roma, then walk across the bridge to the Venice Santa Lucia train station. However, I think it's easier, although more expensive (assume 25 - 35 Euro), to pay for a land taxi to the Venice Mestre train station. That way you avoid waiting for the People Mover and dragging your bags up and over the bridge.

The train from Venice to Rome takes just under four hours, so a 9:00 train from Mestre gets you to Rome at 12:40 PM, just in time to drop your bags and enjoy lunch in Rome. Staying overnight in the city is so much nicer than Civitavecchia, even if you've been to Rome before. It's a wonderful walking city, especially at night.

You have lots of options for trains from Rome to Civitavecchia. For maximum comfort you could spend more for an IC or Frecciabianca train to Civitavecchia. While these cost more (the regional costs 5 Euro, the IC 9,50 and the Frecciabiana 14,50), you'll be guaranteed a seat and will have more room for luggage than on a regional train.

Since the most direct train options require a change in Rome, I'd take the train from Venice to Rome on day one, spend the night in Rome, then take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia on day two.

Thank you very much for the advice. Do you think that flying would be an easier solution?

Thank you very much for the advice. Do you think that flying would be an easier solution?

Not really. If you were already at the airport it would be different, but if you fly you'll need to get to the airport, and then from the airport in Rome into town. It's probably about even in terms of time, but the air route is higher in terms of aggravation, in my opinion.

can someone help with this?

staying near the St Lucia station in Venice overnight after the NCL Sept 19 cruise this year.

need to know, do we need to book the train in advance to Rome or can we just buy a ticket at the station?

we plan to travel 2nd class and I see on cc sites that it should take about 4 hours if we take the quicker train -

will there be someone to ask which is the 'quicker' train?(we have hotel reservations in Rome for that evening.)

does anyone know about how much this trip should cost to get from Venice to the roma termini?

looked at the trenitalia site, but felt unsure how to proceed.(reservation? no reservation? quicker train? cost,etc):confused:

how soon before the train ride should we be at the station?

thanks for any help with these questions

Sue:o

thanks everyone for your help

will book early and hope to get a discount, too!

I'd go ahead and book as soon as possible, before the lowest fares are sold out. Right now you'll easily get the half-off fares for early October. You're in a great position to do this as you'll be staying in a hotel in Venice the night before the train, and so are not at risk of a late arrival.

Not really. If you were already at the airport it would be different, but if you fly you'll need to get to the airport, and then from the airport in Rome into town. It's probably about even in terms of time, but the air route is higher in terms of aggravation, in my opinion.

Yep.

In June, my wife and I took the train from Rome to Venice and then flew back to Rome to connect with our flight home. Book the train online in advance and just show up and get on the train. No security or check in like airlines. Also no baggage fes. The prepaid non-refundable tickets for 1st class were about the same as second class seats. The train trip is very nice. The train schedule shows the depart and arrival time so the fast and slow trains are clear. Since we were flying out of the Rome airport the next morning, flying late directly to the airport was better than the train and then getting to the airport from Termini. Alitalia is like a cattle car airline, very basic, even had to walk up the steps from the tarmac since not parked at a gate. If you are looking for a nice side trip on the way, stop in Florence for a few hours and take a late train to Rome. Florence is half way between Venice and Rome.

Just beware of any pending transportation strikes. I nearly got stranded in Florence one year because of a strike that was supposed to start that afternoon. I had to cut my visit short and rush back to the Florence train station to get back to Livorno. They ended up delaying the strike to that evening, but who was to know? Here is a useful link to keep track of those things:

http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/italy_transport_strikes/

Archived