cruise vs. trip to key west

bogforce

We've done both; we've been to KW several times off a cruise ship and have driven down from Miami a few times and spent several days. It all depends on how much time you'd like to spend there. Off the cruise ship, you have limited time in port, so need to choose usually one activity. Snorkeling from KW requires a boat snorkel, as you need to sail out a ways to get to a reef. A great trip is the ferry to the Dry Tortugas from KW, but this is an all-day excursion, and so not doable if you are off a cruise ship.

Becki

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to spend a few days exploring the keys with your teens you may want to check out Pennekamp for diving. It is on Key Largo, the prices are reasonable and they provide a great diving or snorkling experience. Key Largo has quite a few quaint dining places for seafood and baked goodies.

Here is a link for more information.

http://www.pennekamp.com

After a day in Key largo go on over to Key West and spend a night there. The night life in Key West is far different than when the cruise ships are in. Sunset is a traditional fun event.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

CaribbeanBlue

RCCL Enchantment of the seas - stopped in Key West, Cozumel, and Belize

I have a life's "to-do" list. A list I'm made of things I have to do before I die. One thing on the list was "drive a red convertible Mustang down route 1 to Key West.

Low and behold, unbeknownst to me. When we got off the cruise ship, my husband surprised me. As we were disembarking, there sat a BEAUTIFUL, shiny red convertible Mustang. He pulled me out of the bus line and said "Oh, let's just take this to Key West for a couple days..." and threw our luggage in...

He's a keeper...

Anyway - we spent 3 days in Key West. That's the BEST way to do it. honestly, DO THAT. And spend the little extra to get a convertible (and we did it in the middle of July with over 110 heat index and loved every second.)

It's actually pretty affordable - RCCL offers a little 3 night Friday-Monday cruise out of MIA. Rent a car afterwards and drive down. We stayed in the Day's Inn for only $59 a night. It was on the other side of the island from all the "action", but we made it work. We drove into Duval as far as we could and walked from there. Had NO problems! Even with the 5 day cruise and the expensive car, and upgraded-cabin we spent less than $3000 on the whole shabang - spending money and all.

• 2 weeks later...

"Anyway - we spent 3 days in Key West. That's the BEST way to do it. honestly, DO THAT"

Funny thats what were doing too, 'cept were taking our car that were driving to the cruiseport!! In July too!!!

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I would choose the cruise over the land trip. I personally found Key West to be the least favorite port of call on our trip and I can't imagine being entertained for 3 days at KW (IMO). We were on a Majesty of the Seas cruise, and snorkeling at CocoCay was the best. Remember - on a cruise, you can snorkel at most of the stops you make. Also, if you were to go to Nassau, you could stop by Atlantis, which is just fantastic.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I would choose the cruise over the land trip. I personally found Key West to be the least favorite port of call on our trip and I can't imagine being entertained for 3 days at KW (IMO). We were on a Majesty of the Seas cruise, and snorkeling at CocoCay was the best. Remember - on a cruise, you can snorkel at most of the stops you make. Also, if you were to go to Nassau, you could stop by Atlantis, which is just fantastic.

I posted in another thread entitled "If you could eliminate one port, what would it be?" I chose Key West even though it's my FAVORITE place in the world. Seeing the island from a cruise ship is NOT the way to do Key West. You're rushed, and have very limited options compared to the experience it is for a few days! :)

<Copy of my post in that thread...>

Eliminate Key West

Now, REASONS - First of all, please know that Key West is probably my favorite place in the entire world. We always have such a BEAUTIFUL, fun, wonderful amazing experience staying down there. Most of the island really doesn't like the cruise ships. We found (after staying there many times AND having stopped there on a cruise ship twice) you get much better treatment, hospitality, and experience so much more going down there to stay even a long weekend. (By the way - our hotel only cost us $65 a night in off season.)

Now I'm sure most all ports are also like this... much better if you stay for a little (or long) period of time but this is the one I've experienced. I've stayed at length in Jamaica as well and LOVED EVERY SECOND. I'm looking quite forward to the Jamaica stop, but wonder if I will be treated differently being a cruise ship passenger as were in Key West. (We have some friends in Key West and have heard them talk about the cruise ships. Many don't have nice things to say about tourists in general, but especially not cruise ships...) When in Key West staying, we just got much better treatment than we saw the cruisers getting. Therefore, THAT'S why I chose that stop. Key West, to me, is just not a "cruise ship" stop as much as it is a long weekend getaway. It just, I don't know, is not "getting out there" enough for this cruiser. But hey, we all have different ideas - whatever drowns your worm. I will not stop cruising nor will I stop going to Key West for long weekends. I would just rather spend a port day at a more southern locale that I wouldn't necessarily stay for an extended period of time.

• 3 weeks later...

HI! We had been to Key West 7 years ago when my son and his friend were 15 and 14 respectively, and both were Jimmy Buffett fans. They had a great time at Margaritaville where they could eat cheeseburgers and explore the gift shop. However, both agreed that they could have enjoyed Key West a lot better if they were 21. They were kind of disappointed in what it had to offer those who were underage, not to mention some of the things they saw on the streets afterdark! We are going to Key West in three weeks. Now my son is 22 and cannot wait! Hope this helps! Hope you have a great trip!

I would have to agree with PAMURCHU. If you're not 21 I can't imagine you would enjoy it for more than a day. I would definitely cruise and not necesssarily to Key West if snorkeling is what you're interested in. We really enjoyed our 4-night stay in Key West but spent most of our time bar hopping. Not sure if Tropical Storm Arlene had anything to do with that!:o

Have to agree with being over 21 to really enjoy Key West. I will be there on September 4 as part of a cruise and am just going to get a day-pass for one of the guest houses and sit at the pool and drink. I've already seen all of the tourist attractions from previous vacations there and just love relaxing by the pool and sucking down frozen drinks!!!

Archived