Hal vs Carnival

brainyblonde

Yes it probably did back in the 20th century (1970's), however, it is now the 21st Century and Carnival has come a long way. Variety is the spice of life. Like someone else said, if we listened to what others say, we would never have sailed on the line of the "nearly dead"! Sometimes it's good to get out and try other things, you never know what you're missing!

This is so true!

I know there are some who cruise the same line or even the same ship over, and over, and over again. For them it must be a comfort level they enjoy. They had a good experience and they are sticking with it. And that is fine for them! (although it doesn’t hurt to step out of the box once in awhile)

For me, I want to try something new and experience it for MYSELF, not take someone else’s word or opinions. This means when I try a different ship/line I can’t expect it to be like other cruises I have been one.

I have never had a bad cruise because I don’t try to compare or expect the same experience on every cruise. They all have their good and bad points. JMHO :)

As the OP, I have to say this board has been fun to read. DH and I may "pull the trigger" to book the Oosterdam from New Zealand to Seattle in the Spring, more our style. (37 Days)

As for the chocolate melting cake, it varied from evening to evening on the Legend. It seemed one of us eleven ordered it every night. A couple of times it was very runny, like soupy pudding.

I hope everyone read my post to the end, because I stated we had a wonderful time! My grandchildren thought it was "awesome". my sons and spouses voiced similar remarks.

My friends who saild Oceania say they would never go back to HAL. I stand by my statement, "It is easier to "go up" in one's cruise experience than to "go down."

Brainyblonde

I've never been to California , but I just know the phrase" Gnarly Dude" originated there.

Doesn't mean I paint everyone in the state with that broad brush , and wouldn't mind going there if the opportunity arose

I don’t mind go on Carnival ,but I have to admit I never saw so many drunk people on any other line as I saw on Carnival:eek: If you check Carnival forum you know the main concern there is how to smuggle the booze on board:rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I don’t mind go on Carnival ,but I have to admit I never saw so many drunk people on any other line as I saw on Carnival:eek: If you check Carnival forum you know the main concern there is how to smuggle the booze on board:rolleyes:

Probably because on HAL you can freely carry CASES of wine onboard without having to hide it! ;):eek:

Probably because on HAL you can freely carry CASES of wine onboard without having to hide it! ;):eek:

Believe it or not, some people go on cruises to TRAVEL from one country to another, to experience other cultures, try different foods, see exotic sights, and meet new people.

Therefore, it is somewhat hard to understand those who cruise to booze and party, but whatever floats your boat!

Believe it or not, some people go on cruises to TRAVEL from one country to another, to experience other cultures, try different foods, see exotic sights, and meet new people.

Therefore, it is somewhat hard to understand those who cruise to booze and party, but whatever floats your boat!

Do you have to understand why people like what they like to accept it? I don't understand how anyone can like rap music, but a lot of people do. Does that make them bad people? In fact, I don't understand how anyone could like country music, but a lot of people do. Does that make them bad? I prefer to let everyone float their boat however they wish to float it. If it means going to bed early to be the first one off the ship to explore an exotic port of call or being the last one to leave the bar at 2am, stumbling back to your cabin and sleeping to noon. It doesn't matter to me. Enjoy your cruise however you see fit. Being someone who goes on cruises to TRAVEL from one country to another, to experience other cultures, try different foods, see exotic sights, and meet new people does not make you a better cruiser than someone who cruises to party their ass off for a week.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Believe it or not I do know that, having been cruising since 1992. My comment was towards the poster who said that people on the Carnival board talk about smuggling and not on here. Thus the reference to the cases of wine. No need to talk about smuggling when you are ALLOWED to bring on your alchohol.

Unless you have sailed a particular cruiseline or ship, please don't listen to what others say. Like I said before, had I listened we would never have sailed on HAL!

OP, with all due respect, you commented on the plastic cups and plates in the Lido. On our last HAL cruises they also had plastic in the Lido. As to food, Carnival is very comprable to HAL's current food product! Since our first cruise on the Noordam in 2006 until last year on the Veendam, we have noticed the quality of the food on HAL slide down and Carnival's actually slide up a bit..

Agree with you! The food is very good on both lines. I give Carnival an edge when it comes to desserts.

WOW, I just don't understand why everyone has to "travel" the same way you do!

We have done many cultural cruises, but we have done just as many "lets get out of Ohio in the dead of winter" cruises! On those cruises all I want is a fruity drink and a lounge chair in the sun. :)

I'm on the Carnival board daily and while there are smuggling threads, it is not the main concern of Carnival cruisers. Right now there are 40 threads on page 1 and 2 of them are about smuggling.

I have been on 7 Carnival cruises with number 8 a month away, I have seen drunk people on all cruise lines. How did you know they were drunk? Were the stumbling or throwing up? Did they have a sign around their necks telling you this? Maybe they were just being loud and having a good time. Doesn't mean they were drunk. :rolleyes:

I can not immigine taking a Carnival ship and not expecting anything less

Than seeing lots of the budget families and economy minded lounge lizzards on the make. A very "interesting" group

I have been on a Carnival cruise and was amongst the youngest of passengers in my 40's. I have been on a few HAL cruises, overhwelmed by the number of chidren in Alaska.

There are lounge lizzards on most 7 day cruises, all cruise lines.

I have seen one Hairy Chest Contest, on HAL at the aft pool. The lounge lizzards dragged themselves off their stools and it was SRO.

Sometimes a Carnival cruise will be pricier than a HAL cruise with a similar intinerary. Sometimes not.

Time of year, length of the cruise, departure ports/intinerary and good ole passenger dynamics make for variable experiences.

I'm on the Carnival board daily and while there are smuggling threads, it is not the main concern of Carnival cruisers. Right now there are 40 threads on page 1 and 2 of them are about smuggling.

Booze smuggling threads are common on all mass marketed cruise lines forums.So are threads about the Upgrade Fairy ( aka how can I get a better cabin than I am willing to pay for). Nary a week goes by that someone does not start a smoking thread cause to the best of my knowledge, no cruise line completely bans smoking.. ( Anyone who has observed a Celebrity or Princess ship in port at night knows people are smoking on balconies. )

Do you have to understand why people like what they like to accept it? I don't understand how anyone can like rap music, but a lot of people do. Does that make them bad people? In fact, I don't understand how anyone could like country music, but a lot of people do. Does that make them bad? I prefer to let everyone float their boat however they wish to float it. If it means going to bed early to be the first one off the ship to explore an exotic port of call or being the last one to leave the bar at 2am, stumbling back to your cabin and sleeping to noon. It doesn't matter to me. Enjoy your cruise however you see fit. Being someone who goes on cruises to TRAVEL from one country to another, to experience other cultures, try different foods, see exotic sights, and meet new people does not make you a better cruiser than someone who cruises to party their ass off for a week.

I never implied I was a "better" cruiser, just different. I don't enjoy loud music, wild parties and raucous people. I want to relax, in peace & quiet while on board. That's why we sail with HAL, not Carnival. Carnival's type of fun is not our type of fun. Many people enjoy that type of fun, many don't. That's why there are many cruise lines.

I also replied "whatever floats your boat". That means do whatever you like. I will do what I like, which is travel, not party & drink.

For me, the ship is a means to get to the destination, not the destination itself.

Booze smuggling threads are common on all mass marketed cruise lines forums.So are threads about the Upgrade Fairy ( aka how can I get a better cabin than I am willing to pay for). Nary a week goes by that someone does not start a smoking thread cause to the best of my knowledge, no cruise line completely bans smoking.. ( Anyone who has observed a Celebrity or Princess ship in port at night knows people are smoking on balconies. )

Which was my point. I was responding to a post that stated booze smuggling was the main concern on the Carnival boards. Which I understood as everyone on Carnival board is a bunch of cheapskate party animals, definitely not the case. Maybe I misconstrued the meaning of the post, and if I did, I am truly sorry for my error.

Archived