Holland Line Opinions Please

mteacher

I have sailed many times on HAL, mainly on their smaller ships. Have been on the sister ships Volendam and Zaandam several times, including Zaandam last year southbound from Anchorage. The cabins are roomy, the ships are clean and well maintained. The food in the dining room and the lido is well prepared and tasty with variety enough that most people find something they enjoy. The staff are pleasant and efficient and go out of their way to please.

Have I ever been disappointed with something on a HAL ship? Sure, but they do their best to make it right. In the final analysis, I think HAL is a great value.

The only way you will know if HAL is right for you is to book a cruise and compare whether it meets your needs as well as the others you have tried.

]

If you have kids and you want them to be well entertained, HAL is not a good choice. .

I very much disagree with the above. My family just spent 24 nights on HAL. My 7 year old and 13 year old had a fabulous time. Club HAL is excellent!

I very much disagree with the above. My family just spent 24 nights on HAL. My 7 year old and 13 year old had a fabulous time. Club HAL is excellent!

I'll second that. Club HAL is the best kept secret I think they have.:)

For the OP - for Alaska - HAL and Princess are the two key lines that excel in Alaska - HAL has a notch up because of some stops.

They've been doing this for a while and know how to do it. The smaller ships make some of the things easier (that the bigger ships can't do).

enjoy:)

I think Jaguarstyper back at post #11 made some valid points. While many of us love HAL, it is not for everyone.

Re: the kids facilities, RCCL might offer more and usually does have more kids, therefore the age groups for activities are narrower and probably more appropriate. On the other hand, when there are only small numbers of kids onboard, the Club HAL program offers a lot of personal attention and kids seem to love it.

I'll second that. Club HAL is the best kept secret I think they have.:)

For the OP - for Alaska - HAL and Princess are the two key lines that excel in Alaska - HAL has a notch up because of some stops.

They've been doing this for a while and know how to do it. The smaller ships make some of the things easier (that the bigger ships can't do).

enjoy:)

A few years ago I read in a travel book that, for cruising, HAL and Princess are your best choices for cruising Alaska as they're the lines that have been doing it the longest. (Don't remember which travel book, I no longer have it)

Archived