Nassau-Where can we go for fresh conch?

morningglorymish

• 2 months later...
Go to the "fish fry" right past Junkaroo beach. It is within walking distance, or you could get the #10 jitney (bus) for $1.50 each way. Great fresh, local fish. Several restaurants are there to chose from and they all have conch. Enjoy!

Lu

oops... I spelled it wrong. It's Junkanoo Beach

Lu

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed a restaurant on our way to Junkanoo that I think was just called "Conch Fritters". It looked interesting. I really wanted to go there for lunch but my BF is allergic to shellfish so he was afraid to go there. :(

Conch Fritters is not really authentic bahamian.. it's very americanized, and the food is just OK.

If you want real bahamian the fish fry is the spot. (goldies, oh Andros, Frankies gone bananas).

Festival Place also has good conch fritters .. booth all the way to the right as you enter..near the restrooms.. but they are not always open.

You can find them on nearly every menu.. not always good.

If you're boyfriend is allergic to shellfish.. make sure he lets the wait staff know.. Most kitchens cook everything on the same grill etc.. so cross contamination can be an issue. My friends who have allergies ask that the chef cook in a fresh, clean pan.. not on the grill.

Conch Fritters is not really authentic bahamian.. it's very americanized, and the food is just OK.

If you're boyfriend is allergic to shellfish.. make sure he lets the wait staff know.. Most kitchens cook everything on the same grill etc.. so cross contamination can be an issue. My friends who have allergies ask that the chef cook in a fresh, clean pan.. not on the grill.

Oh, well I guess I'm not TOO bummed that we didn't make it then! I mostly just really wanted to try conch, period.

That is exactly why he didn't want to go - because most restaurants cook everything on the same grill or use the same oil. I'm sure he would've been fine (he gets chicken and fish from Long John Silver's all the time and it doesn't bother him a bit), but he didn't want to risk it. The last thing we wanted was to have to visit a hospital on vacation!

• 1 month later...

Try Doc Sands Fish & Conch at Potter's Cay (just beside the bridge to Paradise Island). Fresh conch salad made to order right in front of you by Nicola Sands. Salad and two nice cold Kalik beers for $16.00 So delicious! The cruise ships funnel traffic to those places that they will get kick-backs from, and the stall owners at Potter's Cay are not part of this scheme. Go local and low key; it's much more authentic.

• 7 months later...

Senor Frog's surprised me last week. Did not go in there looking for fresh conch but they had a conch salad on the menu that was prepared tableside. Conch was broken out of the shell right in front of you and prepared into a salad. Was beyond what I expected for that particular spot. It was very good.

Archived