47 days aboard Riviera

jjeffjb

that said I would choose a PH or above

On our first ever Oceania cruise, my in-laws opted to join us at the last minute, with an older Aunt in tow.

In order to be nice, and keep costs down for the Aunt, who was on a fixed income, they booked an A3, for a 14 day cruise, Barcelona to Istanbul, on the Insignia.

r-staterooms-3d-veranda-sm.jpg

Being older, settled people, they made it work, but by week #2, Dad was banished to the Veranda for long stretches of time, "while the ladies dress".

He decided to meet the challenge jovially, but they would have been so much more comfortable in a Penthouse....

r-staterooms-3d-penthouse-sm.jpg

I have a different point of view having done a crossing with my 16 yr old on Marina in May. She had a fantastic time!

She was spoiled by the staff being the only teen on-board. She only had to find a lounger by the pool and a staff member would bring her a virgin pina colada (her favorite drink)!

She loved the quiet and quickly adjusted to being "unplugged" from her many devices. She read on the balcony or public areas, she loved all 4 specialty restaurants (Toscana was her favorite). She enjoyed the food in every venue. Almost the entire boat seemed to know her by name.

We had very diverse table-mates and she enjoyed chatting with folks from the UK, South Africa and Northern Europe. One evening we were seated with Colin Firth's aunt.

Claire saw 4 different types of whales while on the crossing.

She did however find the shows "lame". She liked the cooking classes and attended all the lectures from the whale expert on-board.

You know your teen best. If you believe he would enjoy a beautiful and somewhat quiet ship with very few people his age, that serves outstanding cuisine. . . . go for it!

I have a different point of view having done a crossing with my 16 yr old on Marina in May. She had a fantastic time!

She was spoiled by the staff being the only teen on-board. She only had to find a lounger by the pool and a staff member would bring her a virgin pina colada (her favorite drink)!

She loved the quiet and quickly adjusted to being "unplugged" from her many devices. She read on the balcony or public areas, she loved all 4 specialty restaurants (Toscana was her favorite). She enjoyed the food in every venue. Almost the entire boat seemed to know her by name.

We had very diverse table-mates and she enjoyed chatting with folks from the UK, South Africa and Northern Europe. One evening we were seated with Colin Firth's aunt.

Claire saw 4 different types of whales while on the crossing.

She did however find the shows "lame". She liked the cooking classes and attended all the lectures from the whale expert on-board.

You know your teen best. If you believe he would enjoy a beautiful and somewhat quiet ship with very few people his age, that serves outstanding cuisine. . . . go for it!

In case you haven't noticed, boys are considerably different and at 16 this is not going to be a warm and fuzzy time.....really

I guess I should have clarified. My son is 16 but has asperger so perfers company of adults. He is NOT a typical teen. He perfers to be on his own Or with us. He would never do clubs or programs on a boat. Last year we took him on a small tour of Italy with 11 people and he was the only teen. He had a fabulous time and that trip even included a wine tasting lunch at a castle in Tuscany. we are really more destination travelers rather then cruisers hence the only reason we've only been on one short cruise in 2008. We were looking to explore different Mediterranean ports and looking for a higher end cruise without thousands on board. We are deciding between Oceana and Windstar. I had a booking in Sirena In a penthouse suite for the Saints and stars tour August 19, 2016 but looking for something less expensive. We are now considering some seven-day Mediterranean cruises on the Riviera next summer

Edited by Michaelsbuddy

I guess I should have clarified. My son is 16 but has asperger so perfers company of adults. He is NOT a typical teen. He perfers to be on his own Or with us. He would never do clubs or programs on a boat. Last year we took him on a small tour of Italy with 11 people and he was the only teen. He had a fabulous time and that trip even included a wine tasting lunch at a castle in Tuscany. we are really more destination travelers rather then cruisers hence the only reason we've only been on one short cruise in 2008. We were looking to explore different Mediterranean ports and looking for a higher end cruise without thousands on board. We are deciding between Oceana and Windstar. I had a booking in Sirena In a penthouse suite for the Saints and stars tour August 19, 2016 but looking for something less expensive. We are now considering some seven-day Mediterranean cruises on the Riviera next summer

Perhaps consider a PH on Riviera and then spend some time on land before or after, taking advantage of the weak Euro. The PH on the O class ships would be comfortable enough for a close family. It has a large walk in closet and good size bath. Western Meds can be very port intensive, so many passengers just enjoy a nice leisurely paced dinner and rest up for the next busy day in port.

Michaelsbuddy,

I am not knowing for being fond of children (I confess it!) but it sounds like your son could do well on such a cruise. As has been said, YOU know your child better than we do. Just because most teens wouldn't be happy on an O cruise doesn't mean your son won't be. If you son enjoyed that Italy trip, he most likely will enjoy an O cruise.

On our BCN-Rio TA a couple of years ago there was a young teen on board -- I guessed he was around 13 or 14. His father was an officer on the ship and he did look bored at meal times when I saw him (only dining with adults), but he was impeccably behaved.

Good luck on making your decision.

You probably will see many comments advising you to stay away from O. It is my opinion that you know your son and what will please him, and so YOU have to make the decision about what would be the best trip.

I guess I will add that a cruise on Marina or Riviera MIGHT be better for the two of you just because the less expensive cabins are more spacious than they are on the "R" ships.

Mura

OTOH, I can understand your wanting to cut the budget a bit but I'd recommend the PH for the two of you. Of course, that is based on MY desires for room! A smaller room might do very well if it is just the two of you. It depends on YOU.

Mura

We are booked on Marina later this fall for 25 days.

We were delighted when our daughter asked if she could join us, assuming she would have her own room. (She's 31).

Due to the huge cost of a long cruise for a single person, she is sharing our balcony cabin and we are so excited and looking forward to our time together.

It's going to be so much fun!!!!

Mo

We are booked on Marina later this fall for 25 days.

We were delighted when our daughter asked if she could join us, assuming she would have her own room. (She's 31).

Due to the huge cost of a long cruise for a single person, she is sharing our balcony cabin and we are so excited and looking forward to our time together.

It's going to be so much fun!!!!

Mo

As long as your expectations are realistic, it should be fun! :D

You are in a partially better place than the OP, however, as the standard cabins on Marina & Riviera are 242 square feet, versus 173 square feet for the R ships.

The thing is though, that as with everything in life there are a number of compromises which will need to be addressed, even in those slightly larger cabins.

These are some of the key concerns:

1) Assembling and disassembling that third berth (the sofa bed) every morning and evening is a huge expenditure of time and effort for the Room Steward.

1 B) As they bond with their Steward, and after seeing how much work is involved, many passengers will eventually suggest that the bed "be left open" during the day as the cabin is typically empty by day, anyway.

2) Three people washing up and dressing in that space can be challenging, moreso if there are time deadlines, or if the bed is "left open".

3) The modesty levels required by family members morph with age.

4) The addition of a third person, their clothing, toiletries and personal effects makes keeping the cabin tidy a much greater effort. This bothers some people more than it bothers others....you know who you are ;)

4 B) The Stewards will step up their game, but the resultant clutter often becomes a low level source of stress towards the end of a longer cruise.

5) With the staff working harder (and this is VERY apparent with a third person in the room), some people will determine that they wish to leave a larger tip than they might normally.

5 B) This can become contentious because the third person agreed to the "sharing deal" in the first place in order to save money, whereas the original two people are thinking that "standard tips" would have been perfectly adequate if they hadn't shared.

Nothing is perfect, either way, but it will be easier if you discuss these things before they are a reality.

Edited by StanandJim

I would never intentionally leave the bed for the steward in the am. So that's a non issue.

We always tip extra so that's a non issue. DD is also very generous. Sometimes I question her generosity. [emoji6]

My husband often goes to the spa showers anyway. I am the master of the 1 min shower unless doing my hair. I am exceedingly lucky with aforementioned hair as it gets done q5days[emoji33]

And did I mention that I would never do this with my other 2 offspring?

Counting down the days....

Mo

with Stan and Jim..... It can be very stressful with 3 in a cabin... and no matter how you slice it there is only 1 bathroom!!!

Might it be better to get 2 inside cabins just for the sake of sanity because after a week with 3 in the box, it becomes a contest to see who is going to kill who first....