Wheeling & Dealing in the Caribbean

azappraiser

Here's a question for the "professional" shoppers... When you want to make purchase in the Caribbean, do most vendors expect you to pay the posted (given) price or should you haggle a bit before breaking out your wallet?

I'm particularly interested in the local shopping customs of San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martaan and Samana.

Jewelry definitely has plenty of haggle room. Unless you are very knowledgeable about pricing, you won't get a good deal, just a reasonable price.

As for other products, I am not sure. Souveniers are priced pretty fair for the most part.

It depends on where shoping. The grocery store in Cozumel likely won't negotiate on the price of milk :)

However, in most cases a simple "that's nice, but that's a lot more than I planned to pay" is always a nice ice breaker into negotiating. If they are disinterested at that point, there's likely not much room (e.g. on that $8 t-shirt). However, with gemstone or silver jewelry (not necessarily watches) there's a healthy amount of room in the price.

If you can, do some price research before you go. If you're looking for a Tag watch, know what you can get it for from an authorized seller at home or online. Then price it on the ship (good deals), the check the port. Gemstone jewelry can always be a little more risky because you can never be positive of the authenticity or quality. However, homework again will help quite a bit.

Similar to the other poster, I was able to buy my daughter some earrings marked as $65 for under $20

If you can, do some price research before you go. If you're looking for a Tag watch, know what you can get it for from an authorized seller at home or online. Then price it on the ship (good deals), the check the port. Gemstone jewelry can always be a little more risky because you can never be positive of the authenticity or quality. However, homework again will help quite a bit.

Note also that some of the Autorized Retailer stores get that way by signing contracts which prohibit discounting beyond a certain percentage.

Thanks for all the input, although no one has specifically addressed the islands I'll be visiting... Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Martaan and the Dominican Republic. I've been fortunate enough to score quite a few deals over the years in places that have been traditionaly known to "negotiate... Greece, Spain and Mexico to name a few, which is why I'm curious about the Eastern Caribbean.

We're not looking to purchase watches, diamonds, gold or any other precious gems. I realize finding deals on t-shirts are more likely to be had if I'm buying a quantity, such as five or more... and I certainly didn't expect to "haggle" for food or drinks. :rolleyes:

I do like "sdmike's" ice breaker though... I think I'll use it. ;)

Can you haggle the price of jewelry on the ship?

Never thought to or tried it. The ship stores are more like normal stores, like haggling in Target. We always made sure to get our Latitudes discount though

Archived