Just Returned from Magica - May 9th to 16th

Jo42

Just returned from a great cruise. Any Questions? I'll be happy to answer them. We had a great time, enjoyed the food and most of the entertainment. Some ports of call were better than others but overall a great time was had by all.

Rome was the only 'organised' excursion we took this time and Barcelona the last time, but between our table mates and ourselves we must have covered all of them. Everyone enjoyed them, the only negative was going it alone in Palermo - not a very pretty place. On the Tunisia tour the local guide took them to his brothers carpet shop - needless to say this was not on the programme! They were very late back!

For me Rome was the highlight. Malta was great too and I feel we benefitted from doing Barcelona on our own as last time we seemed to spend most of the time on the bus.

Hi Jo42,

Welcome back! Glad to know you had a great cruise, as we'll be doing the same itinerary in July. What in your opinion was the best and worst port? Anything specific I should know about this itinerary. (good, bad or otherwise) How far is the port from the center of Rome? Any helpful info will be appreciated! Did you eat at the specialty restaurant on board?

Hi everyone! I'm back too. Had a great, but 'exhausting' time. I was too tired to even sign in on-line till now. (Also had to go back to work the next day after the cruise--jetlag). I embarked in Rome the night before Jo42. Did 4 ship tours> Tunisia, Palermo, Mallorca and Genoa. We managed to do Barcelona & Malta on our own. Didn't bump into you on the ship, Jo42, but am glad to hear that you, your mom & aunt had a great time, too.

Hi TDOTCRUISER,

Glad you had an amazing time, same with you, Jo42.

TDOTCRUISER, which excursions did you do in Tunisia, Palermo, Mallorca and Genoa? We are leaving on the Magica this Sunday. So far have only signed up for the Caves of Drach tour (I believe in Mallorca). Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks

Palermo - I went ashore alone at this port of call (on foot) with the intention of doing some shopping. There were some nice shops but mixed in with others not so nice and the streets were very dirty. Palermo city had a strange grey light. I just didn't feel comfortable (perhaps because I was alone) and returned to the ship after an hour or so. Others who did the same had a similar opinion. Those who took a shore excursion enjoyed it, particularly the capuchin friars - Mysterious Palermo, I think its called - I am doing a similar itinerary in July and will def choose this excursion.

Rome - This was the highlight IMO. The bus journey was a pleasant 1.5 hours there and 2 hours back. We chose 'Rome on your own'. Rome is not to be missed!! Sadly this is not on my July itinerery. Some folks picked up a private taxi at the port for 200 euros, they were then taken around all the sites and had lunch (extra for them and the driver!)

Barcelona - We took a taxi at the dock then walked the length of Las Ramblas. La Boqueras (sp) Market was amazing. Last time we did Panoramic Tour and Shopping, was good but too much time on the bus as I said.

Malta - Took a taxi up to the main city gate and went shopping, ate ice cream and cheesecakes and peascakes - great!

Food - Food was good, particularly the pasta and risotto. We breakfasted on our balcony each day except the last when we went to the rest - very nice too. We did go to the speciality resturaunt - a small but very nice menu - could not fault the food, the service or the ambiance, well worth it.

Palma, Tunisia - sorry did not disembark, will do so next time.

TDOTCRUISER - glad you had a good time too!

Hello TDOTCRUISER,

I will embark in Rome in July. Could you tell me what time we can get in? Can we arrive to the port arond 10 or 11? Or we have to wait till afternoon? We will be in Rome few days before our cruise, so we would like to be on Magica as early as possible.

Hi theman1: My plane arrived at 10:30AM, but we had a long, long wait to get through immigration. We didn't arrive at the dock till after 2PM. We were assigned a number on the bus & had to sit & wait in the tented holding area till number was called. There were a lot of passengers. I have read on prev threads that if you show up later, the line ups are a lot less. It is a toss-up on whether you want to wait in the tent area or show up later to avoid the crowd. I did read somewhere about a boarding time, but can't recall where. Will let you know if I come across it.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, we had a great time! we took the excursions in Tunis, Palermo and Mallorca. Mysterious Palermo is not a good tour- the two churchs are arabic and not complete and the Catacombs are ok but you are better off to do the city on your own.Boat was great- no complaints. We traveled to Barcelona before the cruise and extended in Rome after- entire trip was just about perfect.all the complaints about Costa food are wrong- How can you complain about 5 courses and 3-4 choices on each course!

Latex: Great to hear that you had a fabulous time! You picked the perfect itinerary--I would love to have had more time in Barcelona & Rome. Unfortunately, I embarked in Citavecchia & saw none of Rome. Didn't have time to extend. Maybe next time & next time better come soon! This cruise addict is already starting withdrawal. Reliving my trip through the msg board.

Looks like we all had a ball! Shame you did not get to see Rome, next time you should board at Savona and do Rome by excursion which means you don't have to extend your trip - this can be difficult - there never seems to be enough days in the year! I too am reliving the cruise through the board! My family (whom I am taking my July trip with) think I'm mad, but hey they'll be glad of all the tips etc that I pick up here.

Jo42: Unfortunately, the tour operator for Costa in Canada only books the flights into Rome--One disadvantage of the rolling itinerary. You're definitely not mad for going again in July, afterall the May trip was only a 'trial run', was it not? It can only get better!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived