MEN: What are you reading?

javamom

If he likes sports:

Loose Balls - it about the old ABA basketball league in the 70's.

Dixieland Delights - its about traveling to each SEC stadium during the 206 season and the tailgate traditions.

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer - its about tailgate travel the and the characters that follow the Alabama football team.

He might also like books by Bill Bryson such as:

At Home: A Short History of Private Life - history of each room in a house like how the kitchen came about as a separate room.

A Short History of Nearly Everything - takes the sciences to the level of the average person.

My DH is not an avid reader but I thought I'd pick up something for our upcoming cruise. He usually reads trade magazines (leaving those at home!) and Tom Clancy.

What is new and exciting on your reading lists?

Joel Osteen - all

Philip Carlo - The Butcher

Albert DeMeo - For The Sins of My Father

Tom Brokaw - The Greatest Generation.

I do not have a NOOK but I can read books online on my phones web ... my question is since I am not downloading the book. Does anyone know if will I get charged the crazy fees the ship charges for internet to open and read a book on my phone? Don't get me wrong , I am not going to read a book on my smart phone.. but I was just wondering.. and do I get those fees to open and read a text message ? while on ship ..

Not a man, but I recently recommended "Blind Your Ponies" by Stanley West to my Father (after reading it myself) and he couldn't stop talking about how much he loved it. It's kind of a Hoosiers-esque story about a basketball team in a small town in Montana that hasn't won a single game in five years (0 wins, 93 losses). The town is now considered too small to support a high school and its students are going to be consolidated with a rival school, so this is the last season for Willow Creek basketball and the coach has already decided to quit. Then he discovers that a 7 foot tall Norwegian exchange student has moved to town, but there's a catch...the kid has never played basketball, or any sport, before. But he joins the team and slowly they start to actually win games, and all of a sudden they're making a run toward the state championship. Can they do it, folks? You'll have to read to find out.

I really like this book, my Dad did too. It is about a basketball team, but really it's about this cast of great, funny, sincere characters in this small town that has nothing going for it, and suddenly starts to win something. The book was originally self published and sold out of the author's car and it became such a hit that it got a proper publishing run. The title refers to an Indian legend, where the Indians blind their ponies and ride them off a cliff, symbolizing that sometimes you have to do crazy things and trust that they'll turn out.

Fictfact.com is a great resource for books as well. Have to create an account and can track your books read. It will alert you when new books come out. It also give books to try based on what you like. Helpful if you read a lot of series books so you don't miss one or forget about an author. Happy reading.

My DH is not an avid reader but I thought I'd pick up something for our upcoming cruise. He usually reads trade magazines (leaving those at home!) and Tom Clancy.

What is new and exciting on your reading lists?

Travel books on the destination...and virtually nothing else. I love books but take a vacation from those too.

Archived