Gulet Cruises in Bodrum

emilee

Hello, has anyone arranged one right from the port? If so, any recommendations? Is it safe to eat and drink on them? I am curious as it seems that we should be able to hop on one for 6 to 7 hours for 30 euro per person (78 U.S/couple) which is considerably less than what is being offered by the cruise line ($340/couple but includes a stop at the castle - which is not of much interest to me.) Our travel agent is recommending the cruise excursion thinking it will be more reliable and safe than picking one up in the marina. i have posted in the destination section but I thought that I would post here as well since we will be on a Windstar cruise. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Emilee

I also had the same questions as you... I was interested in seeing the Castle and then going on a Gulet cruise. I could not find much info on chartering our own gulet cruise (we are only one couple) so I opted for the Windstar excursion - we are leaving next week and will post a full report when back.

I am looking forward to that day! A day for me to relax and for Windstar to organize everything :)

Eileen

We did the castle/gulet cruise while on Windstar last week - it was a wonderful day. The castle was one of the best ever - so pretty and romantic I could have spent all morning there. The gulet was comfortable and the food was fantastic - all freshly cooked then and there by our charming Turkish captain and his son. well worth it.

If you want to do your own thing there are dozens of gulets lined up on the quay for hire - but I guess it might be a bit short notice. why not try the tourist office for Bodrum - they must have one. If it helps, the guide that Windstar uses is from a company called Sea Song There is also another company which we used in Ephesus for a half day tour called Sea Spirit' and they were very good. Both websites are worth checking out. Christine and Mehmet from Sea Spirit are very helpful and efficient - Mehmet is just back from a few years living in Australia.

For those who like to read - I bought 'The Western Shores of Turkey' by John Freely from the Castle shop - all about his travels on the coast that Windstar visits and well written - recommended. He has also written 'Strolling through Istanbul' but I wasn't able to find it while in Turkey, only on Amazon. Enjoy!

Thank you both for your input. Marama you sold us. We booked the Windstar excursion! We always appreciate the input of cruise critic members. Have a great trip Eileen. We are on the September 15th sailing and can't wait!

Archived