What to do in Port Canaveral

peekskillny

I will be in PC in August from 7 am to 7pm. We are planning on doing the Airboat Alligator thing but that is only 21/2 hours. We thought it would be too hot to enjoy any of the parks. Any suggestions. How far away is Miami?

Thanks

Miami is a good 3 hour drive from Port CANAVERAL. Port Canaveral is near Cocoa Beach/Kennedy Space Center... I would recommend a tour of Kennedy Space Center, but that's pretty much an all day thing. Other than that, there isn't much. Orlando is 45 minutes to an hour away. Yes, August in Florida will be extremely hot and humid, and there's normally a strong afternoon thunderstorm. Ron Jon's Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach is always fun... http://www.ronjons.com/DisplayContent.aspx?ContentID=39&MenuGroup=2&SelectedItem=4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep reading about how fantastic the alligator airboat tour is in Port Canaveral. We went in June and thought it was a total waste of time and money. The tour was 2 1/2 hours which included the travel time there and back. We were actually in the airboats less than 1/2 hour. Didn't see much wildlife or birds. The alligators would go under the water before we could get close. We did see a cow. The 100 year old fish camp is an old building. The one in Miami might be better since you will actually be in the Everglades.

The Space Center is one of those things that you really need to see. I can't think of a more expensive museum!

It is easy to get jaded with the space program. Most people only get to see a rocket on a small tv. Walking under a Saturn V Appollo rocket is nothing less than awe inspiring.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for the Beach. Cocoa Beach is awesome. You can take a cab there and back, it wouldn't be that expensive. I would try either the Famous Cocoa Beach Pier (really it's kind small!) But the food is great at the resturant.

Or I would recommend Sheppard's Park. There are better facilities at Sheppard's Park, and it is a big public beach with food available. THere is a great resturant/bar there. They have entertainment on the roof top on Sunday afternoons, you can look over the ocean.

Cocoa Beach is very close to Port Canaveral. You could also go shopping at the famous "Ron Jons". You could actually walk there from either one of those beaches, just ask anyone around which way to head.

Enjoy your day. P.S. just so you know, Orlando is one hour drive from the port.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd vote for Cocoa Beach, it's lovely. We stayed there the day/night before our cruise. BTW, check with the shuttle companies for a ride back and forth, I think cheaper than cabs. If I remember right it was about $8 each person, each way. You could also go down to my favorite little town, Indialantic. Beautiful beach.

Archived