Funship dollars,Carnival has changed how they are applied

jrmende63

Just a heads up: I bought 600.00 of Funship dollars on a Thursday. That amount showed up literaly the next day as OBC .( I called and bought from the rep instead of online). So a day later I bought the other 800.00 that I needed to cover our cruise critic open bar party.

The participants sent me a check and I turned around and bought the Funship dollars as was recommended by Carnival.

Because this is not a group booking but rather me putting the party together, my S&S account will be charged for the amount of the party.

I did not see the 800 applied in a timely manner so I called the promotions dept and gave the order # asking why the Funship dollars had not been applied as OBC yet. She said I do see the Funship dollars as a purchase but our policy has changed on how we apply the Funship dollars as OBC to your sailing. She said Carnival now puts the funship dollars as OBC one week before your sailing.

I asked why the previous transaction had already made it to OBC under my booking number. She replied the day I bought the second amount was the day the policy was changed.

I also am a fan of purchasing Funship Dollars to offset our hefty on board charges. The first $200 credit showed almost immediately but the next 3 have not shown up. After several calls questioning why - I was told they were extremely backed up and if the credit didn't show by a week before we sail to call back then. Don't know why they didn't just tell me the policy changed - I don't really care if it shows on-line as long as I have the confirmation numbers and they can see the credits on their end. Thanks for sharing the new policy.

Just wondering when you did this.

I saw this in another thread saying the same thing.

I have done this since the other thread and it showed up as OBC the next day.

I did it again on this past Fri and it showed up today. It seems to be hit or miss,

Surprise surprise that carnival has different procedures weekly

I bought something, not sure if the were funship dollars or some other program, but I call bon voyage and asked to purchase OBC and we went through the process. She did say it has to be in $25 increments so maybe it was. Anyway, I cruise on the 30th, and I bought it on the 15th, 2 weeks and 1 day prior to sailing. She told me it would appear on my account 1 week before sailing so I was looking for it everyday and if it wasn't there by the 23rd I was going to call. I did see that the card I used was charged right away so I know the transaction went through. My TA forwarded an email she received on the 22nd, 8 days prior, to let me know that I had some OBC. I checked my booking online and there it was.

We are just in the process of planning our first cruise.

What's the difference between OBC and the Fun Ship Dollars?

they are one in the same... Fun ship dollars are basically paper gift certificates sold in increments..in case friends want to buy them for you...they are mailed to the address provided by the purchaser.

If YOU are the purchaser, you can opt to have them automatically credited to your account,( "OBC") rather than get the paper certificate, bring them with you, have them applied.

I wonder if there is a difference doing it online vs calling. I always do mine online.

I just put booking number in address line and write OBC in second address line and its always showed up in a few days.

Funship dollars can be purchased in $25, $50, $100, and $500 denominations. Once they're applied to your sign & sail account, they appear as OBC - on board credit. Hope that helps :-)

we buy fun ship dollars and apply them as OBC to ourself. Funship dollars are also used as gift to give other people. Many here just buy them for themself. here is a link

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=GiftCertificates&pid=FSD

they are one in the same... Fun ship dollars are basically paper gift certificates sold in increments..in case friends want to buy them for you...they are mailed to the address provided by the purchaser.

If YOU are the purchaser, you can opt to have them automatically credited to your account,( "OBC") rather than get the paper certificate, bring them with you, have them applied.

That too, lol. I was only looking at it from being the purchaser. But yes, others can buy them for you :-)

Thank you

and what do you need an OBC for? We don't drink alcohol - what else would require an OBC?

Maybe there is some kind of benefit to buying funship dollars that I do not see.

To me, that would be like going to your grocery store and saying "here is $1000 to put on my account" when I would normally just make a trip to the store, spend $200, then do it again next time.

I could see it if you were buying these at a 10% discount but that is the only way I would ever do it.

Thank you

and what do you need an OBC for? We don't drink alcohol - what else would require an OBC?

I am using mine for alcohol as well as photograph purchases etc

It is also beneficial to me, as I am sailing with a cash account only.. so I have been saving up to ensure I have enough wiggle room on the cruise ! :D

Maybe there is some kind of benefit to buying funship dollars that I do not see.

To me, that would be like going to your grocery store and saying "here is $1000 to put on my account" when I would normally just make a trip to the store, spend $200, then do it again next time.

I could see it if you were buying these at a 10% discount but that is the only way I would ever do it.

Because someone people don't want to get a bill at the end of their vacation. Everything is already paid for and they don't have to worry about it anymore. I like to pre pay as much as possible when I go on vacation.

I don't have any CC cards. Heard horror stories of holds being put on your debit card and don't like caring that much cash.

I guess I could get travel checks. But doing these online are just easer.

I purchased my OBC (by phone) back in July and still don't see it as OBC under manage my cruise. :( And for those asking why, I only have a debit card and do not want the hassles of holds being placed on my account and I don't like to travel to the port with a lot of cash on me.

Thank you

Pictures, soda's, some treats like chocolate covered strawberry, Shore Excursions just to name a few.

You put them on you ship board account covered by a Cc, cash or OBC.

It to each there own.

For those that were asking when I did this...it was last Thursday and Friday. So it seems that some of us got a different story from Carnival, depending on who we spoke to on the same day!!:eek:.

The lady told me that it had just changed last Friday:confused: I am taking my confirmation number with me just in case there is a question. But, if I do not get the OBC by the 7th of October ( I cruise the 13th) then I will be on them to post the amount to my Booking number before my cruise!.

I am sorry if it is not valid information. I thought since another thread on here was talking about holds on debit and credit cards and funship dollars, I would tell you what I was told by the Carnival rep.

Archived