Underage Drinking Onboard

Westtxgal

I might be guilty as charged on this one. We all know that most of these post about teens and alcohol end up with trying to figure out how to let the kids drink since they are off shore. That's where my thoughts went with the op's cryptic first post. If this thread had started with post 21 with more info then my mind wouldn't have wandered to the dark side of the topic.

My apologies to the op and all offended here. I do hope her daughter is well even after learning a valuable lesson the hard way.

I understand completely and was honestly not offended by your post. You were not rude and personally attacking me like another poster did... and I knew what you were thinking when I read your post...

I was deliberately vague with my original question because I had not intended to go into the details of what had happened. I knew there would be people who would get mean and ugly... and I knew after the emotional week I had had and how mentally exhausted I was, I wasn't going to handle it well. I was honestly just trying to get an answer to my question about the laws... But I realized after a couple of responses that I was going to have to give a few details for people to take me seriously. Otherwise they were going to think exactly what you did.

You do not owe me an apology, though I do appreciate the gesture and the well wishes for my daughter :-)

OP, this almost sounds like a drugging issue. Unless DD is on medication, that extreme reaction from one shot in the 60 minutes you were gone seems nearly impossible. That's even MORE frightening... the possibility of being drugged and "some guy" bringing her back to her room. I can't imagine your fear and frustration! :eek::mad::eek::mad:

i was thinking the same thing...i can't imagine a man just willing to walk some young girl to her room and leaving her, not calling medical, not calling security, paging parent etc.

i know that's what i would have done.

OP, i hope you didn't let your fear of your child dying allow her to escape some major punishment. she allowed herself to get in a very serious and potential situation. She's 17...she's old enough to be responsible too. Of course the people serving and paying for the drinks are guilty, but i'm guessing no one put a gun to the 17 year old high school graduate's head and made her drink. she is partly responsible also.

I am glad you shared your story however. I'm extremely happy that it ended well. Hopefully this will be a lesson all parents will share with their kids.

I know this was horrible for you. Sorry you had to go through this. Thank God it all turned out okay.

The only way someone under 21 is getting alcohol on the ship is if someone else is buying. They cannot use their S & S card, because it will get rejected to purchase alcohol.

DS was 18 and he tried no go they charged him for a virgin drink. I laughed because when he ordered he thought he was gonna get away with it. LOL he didn't. He is 21 this time so it will be alright.:D

OP,

I do agree 100% with you, CCL needs to be made aware of this incident. I would not include a ton of other complaints. I would choose my battles carefully. If you list one complaint after another, I'm affraid they would just blow you off as a complainer. Instead, pick your biggest complaint(s) and stick with that. 1. They allowed my underage daughter in 2. waitress served my underage daughter alcohol.

I would remind them that is why they have policies in place, and safeguards in place to keep this from happening. Not only was there one failure in policy, but two! This time it was a 17 yr old. Maybe next time it will be a 15 yr old, and the young man walking the 15 yr old back to the cabin may not have good intentions.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your story. It reminds all of us to be on top of things when it concerns our kids.

I go by the drinking rules in my home even when we travel. If you are under 21 ,you don't drink. Kids that don't drink here in the US don't need to drink abroad. Just because it's "legal" in another country is no reason for me to relax my rules.

Like!;)

Last but not least, you are always under the laws of your home country, as every country has the right to regulate its' own citizens. If a U.S. citizen commits a murder on a Panamanian registered vessel in the Indian ocean, the citizen can be brought to trial in a U.S. Federal Court.

Solid response. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Myself I think your daughter may have learned a lesson

I do not have children but I cant really see leaving them in the cabin unattended at midnight,maybe that invites trouble.Im not bashing you at all im a bartender and deal with things like this everyday

Why would Carnival have a 18-20s meet and greet and have the bar open and not have security all over checking IDs

There are a lot of things involved.

From the port to the maritime limit (normally between 3 and 12 miles out to sea) the laws of nation/state you're leaving apply. This is why ships leaving from Galeston may have different rules for the first few hours of the sailing.

After the 12 mile limit the ship is under the laws of the nation it is registered to. Actually you're under these for the whole voyage, but at ports, the host countries laws are superimposed on top. Note that the laws of nation the ship's registry may or may not be exactly the same as if you are in the country itself, especially things like liquor laws.

Last but not least, you are always under the laws of your home country, as every country has the right to regulate its' own citizens. If a U.S. citizen commits a murder on a Panamanian registered vessel in the Indian ocean, the citizen can be brought to trial in a U.S. Federal Court.

This is a very simplified view and I''m sure someone else will point out the inaccuracies, but it gets you started in the right direction.

Enjoy

Ron

Laws on a cruise shop can no doubt be a lot more complicated, but to say a US citizen you are always under US laws is wrong You will obey the laws of the country you are in or face their punishment Just like the teenager that was punished in Singapore several years ago. Or just like people who come to the US and break a law here that may not be breaking a law in their country, will be punished by our laws. If you use the example of murder, if a US citizen goes to Mexico and kills a Mexican, Mexico will punish them under their laws. If a US citizen goes to Mexico and kills a US citizen, Mexico can punish them, or if they chose turn them over to US authorities

Laws on a cruise shop can no doubt be a lot more complicated, but to say a US citizen you are always under US laws is wrong You will obey the laws of the country you are in or face their punishment Just like the teenager that was punished in Singapore several years ago. Or just like people who come to the US and break a law here that may not be breaking a law in their country, will be punished by our laws. If you use the example of murder, if a US citizen goes to Mexico and kills a Mexican, Mexico will punish them under their laws. If a US citizen goes to Mexico and kills a US citizen, Mexico can punish them, or if they chose turn them over to US authorities
I never said you weren't under the jurisdiction of other countries. No where in my statement can you find that. I said you are always under the jurisdiction your home country.This is an accepted fact of international law. It doesn't mean that other nations can't prosecute you under their laws; it means that your hme nation can always prosecute you. Nothing ever says you are only under one jurisdiction at a time. You can be under several jurisdictions at once. Currently, I'm under the jurisdictions of the city, the county, the state and the federal govt. Normally, the local one will have precedence and the other ones will step aside. But not always. Even inside the United States, things can get mixed up. The state of California recognizes medical marijuana usage. The federal government does not. People who under the laws of California are doing something legal have been tried and convicted of breaking federal law.

And no, you don't get to choose which jurisdiction's laws you obey. Just because your from a place where drinking is legal at 18 doesnt mean an 18 year old can drink legally in a locale that requires you to be 21. Also, nothing says one of the jurisdictions HAS to prosecute you for breaking one of their laws.

The best thing to do is to avoid breaking as many laws as possible. it makes for a lot less headaches.

Ron

Last summer my daughter took a college class inGreek and Roman mythology. This included a 10 day tour of Italy and Greece led by the professor.

My daughter was 20 at the time, the only student in the class who was under 21.

I know she did a bit of drinking on the trip but I also trusted her judgement about drinking.

But then, she's been allowed to drink in our home for several years - it's legal in NY for a parent to serve alcohol to his/ her own children in their own home, and my kids have been served wine and champagne.

But that's just me. Every parent has to make their own choices about rules their kids must follow. And if you're over 18 but still living in your parents'home as their dependent, you should be following their rules.

Maybe I misunderstood what you said because using murder as an example was a bad example since that's pretty much illegal everywhere So let's use drinking, no someone from Canada, where the drinking age is less than 21 can not come to the US and drink. But someone under 21 can go to Canada and drink, legally So we are not always under US laws as you did say, or least how I took it. I fully understand you can fall under more than one jurisdiction, and you can add military to your list. It's always been that way, there are many laws that vary from state to state or city to city or state to federal Just like in the military, you can add to a law but not take away, meaning that if murder is illegal under federal law, a state can not legalize it. But. Something like smoking is not federally illegal, but is in my city. Several years ago before 21 was the legal drinking age country wide, some states it was 18. I live in Missouri where it was 21, I would go to Kansa where it was 18. Missouri could not prosecute me for drinking, unless I crossed back over. Speed limit in Missouri is 70, Nebraska is 75, again Missouri can not ticket me because I am a Missouri resident driving 75 in Nebraska Recently Canada turned over a US military deserter, so yes she will be prosecuted, but only because Canada turned her over, Any way my point is if your in another country and your not break their laws, and we are not talking murder, even if you can find a country where murder is legal, US is not going to prosecute you.

Last summer my daughter took a college class inGreek and Roman mythology. This included a 10 day tour of Italy and Greece led by the professor.

My daughter was 20 at the time, the only student in the class who was under 21.

I know she did a bit of drinking on the trip but I also trusted her judgement about drinking.

But then, she's been allowed to drink in our home for several years - it's legal in NY for a parent to serve alcohol to his/ her own children in their own home, and my kids have been served wine and champagne.

But that's just me. Every parent has to make their own choices about rules their kids must follow. And if you're over 18 but still living in your parents'home as their dependent, you should be following their rules.

And this is a good example of federal law vs state. Federal laws 21. NY says a parent can let their child drink under 21 in their own home. Federal gov. Is not going to prosecute them

And this is a good example of federal law vs state. Federal laws 21. NY says a parent can let their child drink under 21 in their own home. Federal gov. Is not going to prosecute them

Yep. There is no federal law governing a drinking age. They are state laws. The age is the same in all states as a result of an extortionate fereral law that requires the state's to conform or lose funding that they must pay into. Thank MADD and weak-spined members of congress(no caps, thay no longer deserve it).

Excellent response! Very well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those wondering, while someone under 21 cannot purchase an alcoholic beverage on a Carnival ship, there is the past guest party and the extinct farewell party or Captains cocktail party. At those, they don't check the sail & sign card. They just hand you drinks. Some people say that I still look under 21, and I certainly looked under 21 at my first party with these free drinks on Carnival. And I was not asked to show ID. I was old enough, but I didn't look it.

My daughter and her boyfriend were asked for a picture ID. Daughter didn't have hers on her at the past guest party and she was not served.

Once again I appreciate all the responses. I am writing Carnival a letter expressing my thoughts about everything that happened on this cruise. They may not care but at least I will have made my feelings known.

As for some of the comments about my daughter possibly having met someone and drank in a room with them prior to going to the club, I completely understand why you may think that. I probably would too if I had not been there.

But please keep this in mind... This was the very first day of the cruise. I had been with my children the entire day... I left them at midnight and was back by 1:30... Now, I know that anything is possible... I'm not a parent who lives in denial and thinks that my children can do no wrong... But to think that at midnight she left the room and met up with some stranger and went to their room immediately and got trashed and then went to the club and drank more seems extremely unlikely to me... I do not believe for one second that my daughter would walk into a stranger's stateroom within a couple of minutes of meeting them... now, had this been 2 or 3 days into the cruise and she had met some friends, I might feel like that was more possible.

I do think it's possible, however, that she drank much more than she is telling me. That is definitely not out of the question. Whether she really doesn't remember or just doesn't want to admit it, I do not know. I don't know why she would admit going to the club and drinking the first shot and then deny drinking more... What would be the point? She's already in big trouble at that point. But hey, what do I know about how a 17 year old thinks these days? My gut feeling as a mother is that there was something in that first shot besides the alcohol... but I'll never be able to prove it... and I do think she probably continued to drink at that point because her inhibitions were already gone.

I absolutely realize that things could have been much worse. No doubt in my mind. And I thank God that things ended the way they did. I am extremely grateful that she is still with me and is okay. That does not, however, take away from the fact that this should not have happened in the first place. And if my daughter's experience can help prevent even one other young girl from going through a similar experience (one that might not have a positive outcome) then it's all worth it.

You would be surpised and how quickly you can get very drunk drinking shots. 3-4 of them in a short period of time could make her very drunk, especially if she is not used to drinking.

Or her drink could have been drugged. Once I was hanging out with my sister and some friends. I had a big cup of vodka and OJ and I took a few drinks out of it and blacked out. I woke up fully clothed in the tub with vomit and my pillow- I mean that bad. My sister and i both believed we were drugged. My cup was sitting there the next day and it was more than 2 thirds full. Neither of us remember more than a couple of sips. It can happen.

Well no matter what, thankfully your daughter is okay. Unfortunately she had to learn that drinking has consequences the hard way. I have a daughter myself and I can't imagine going through what you did. I would be so scared

My dtr and her BFF had no problems getting drinks on Carnival they were 19 and the drinks were flowing on my CC of course, just had a serious talk about safety and thankfully good (safe)time was had by all, but there S&S cards were NEVER denied.

So, it's 19 to drink here in Ontario (my home) so does that mean that I can apply my rules to someone travelling with me who is between 19-20?

I really don't understand the US regulation about being 21 to drink. Either you're an adult or you're not - if you're legally responsible for yourself at age 18, why all this handholding about alcohol.

I mean, at age 18 in Florida you can purchase a rifle or a shotgun but not a beer.

you can also fight for your country and die in the line of duty but not buy a beer..

when the drinking age was18 years ago there was a increse major.increase in dui/deaths so they moved it up to save lives

My daughter was 20 on the last trip, and she was served directly twice, even though she asked for virgin drinks and was sitting right next to me. They swiped her sign and sail, charged her for the virigin drink, and then gave her the real thing. It happened 2 times. Once she told me and I made them change it, and once she just drank it with a smirk on her face and told me later.

Same thing happened to me when I was on my first cruise. I was 21, but I choose not to drink. They brought me a regular pina colada instead of a virgin on that I ordered and paid for. Not being an experienced drinker, I didn't recognize the taste and mentioned it to my mom when I was almost done with it. She and my dad both took a sip. Mom thought it was hilarious and told me that it wasn't such a "virgin" drink. At first I giggled and thought it was funny, but when it hit my stomach I was sicker than a dog the rest of the night.

The 1 time I sailed with my underage cousin he was walking around with a beer and someone stopped him near one of the clubs and asked him for his ID. He told them he left it in his cabin and all they did was take his beer away. That was the only time, otherwise he walked around with a beer a few times and no one bothered him as long as he was with one of us older cousins or his parents.

It could depend on the shot...2 or 3 shots of tequila are going to be more damaging then some rum or vodka.

I understand some people have no care about teenagers drinking (OP I am not saying you, my statement is a general one) and even give their kids drinks. In my house (we live in MD) you could start drinking at 14 as long as you stayed in the house and never got drunk. My father was a bartender part time at a friend's bar and believed his kids should learn to drink responsibility from him and not morons in HS. I actually did not have my first drink until I was 22 and I am almost 28 and have never been drunk (personal choice).

BUT on a ship full of strangers, parents AND teenagers need to be careful. I am sorry to hear your daughter learned a very hard lesson and I do agree with you writing a letter.

Carnival should do more, because while some parents might not care, they will when something happens and they will want to blame carnival.

Again, I am sorry to hear about what happen to your daughter.

It could depend on the shot...2 or 3 shots of tequila are going to be more damaging then some rum or vodka.

I understand some people have no care about teenagers drinking (OP I am not saying you, my statement is a general one) and even give their kids drinks. In my house (we live in MD) you could start drinking at 14 as long as you stayed in the house and never got drunk. My father was a bartender part time at a friend's bar and believed his kids should learn to drink responsibility from him and not morons in HS. I actually did not have my first drink until I was 22 and I am almost 28 and have never been drunk (personal choice).

BUT on a ship full of strangers, parents AND teenagers need to be careful. I am sorry to hear your daughter learned a very hard lesson and I do agree with you writing a letter.

Carnival should do more, because while some parents might not care, they will when something happens and they will want to blame carnival.

Again, I am sorry to hear about what happen to your daughter.

Thats not true tequila ,vodka and rum are all mostly 40% alcohol 80 proof

Several times I have seen bar waiters in theaters, etc selling alcohol to my then underage daughter. They simply swipe the card. She does not look her age, she looks younger than she actually is. This has not only happened on Carnival but on Norwegian as well.

It's all about the buck. I just happened to come along at the right time and simply said that she was underage. On my last cruise on a different line, a fellow passenger told me they tried to sell her 16 year old daughter a drink. She did not look like she was 16, let alone 21.

Although frightening, I'll bet a lesson was learned! I too am not at all a fan of the 21yr old drinking age, although in my 40's now, there was a time when I was married, owned my own home but couldnt buy a 6 pack. I could however run to the store and pick up 4 cartons of cigs and smoke till I got a buzz. Our American society is uptight about the wrong things in my opinion.

Archived