Tell us about diving the Mexican Riviera

NM_Eman

My wife and I are going on our first cruise ever in January. We have friends that invited us that go every year. So, my wife was talking to her friend and before you know it I was calling RCI for reservations.

Here's the question. Both of us are experienced divers. We're both instructors, worked a resort in Belize for a time. We usually take dedicated dive vacations and are much more familiar with the Caribbean and Australia than the western side of Mexico. So far our idea of a cruise is a 7 day liveaboard.

Since we, of course, would not want to pass up a dive if we have the chance what is everyone's diving experience with Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerte Vallarta. We'd like to get in 2 dives, maybe. Any tips, dos, don'ts.

Thanks - Kent

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Jan 16th 2005 sailing to Mex last year. The water temp is quite chilly, about 75 in Jan. the visibility is not good in the ocean. I did not do any snorkeling as at any ports as it was poor. Too stired up. This is the first time I have not snorkeled on a cruise and I have been on about 15. I loved the cruise. I was on the Mercury sky suite 1204. Worth the extra money. Oh yes, the water is warmer further south, about 80 in PV and acc. Just too wavey

I was there in June one year, but I didn't dive then, only snorkeled. The water temp was fine, but the viz wasn't. It was pretty choppy with more current than I'm happy with. There must be pretty good diving by Cabo - my LDS is taking a trip there this fall.

I last dove in PV in 1988 at a place called Los Arcos. There was plently of marine life but poor coral structure and poor vis. The poor vis was caused by close proximity to a very long beach with lots of wave action.

I enjoyed the dives as it was my first OW dive (resort course) Yeah yeah I know these can be dangerous if not done properly. To make matters worse I didn't dive with an instructor just some guy who didn't speak english and two other Americans who gave me some quick pointers. Fortunately I am extremely comfortable in the ocean and didn't experience any problems. I did get certified right after this trip.

If you are expecting Caribbean type conditions you will be disappointed but don't write off the eastern Pacific just yet. I have been diving in many of the worlds top destinations (Hawaii, Caribbean and the Great Barrier Reef) and the best vis I have ever seen was in northern California off Shelter Cove. We were out in the main Pacific Current and the water was in the high 40's but boy it was beautiful. This was before dry suits were popular.

It you happen to make a stop in Catalina, I recommend diving there. Although I have not dove on that island, I have dove many times on most of the other Channel Islands. This is my favorite diving in the world as most of my diving is done in 53-57 deg water with <15' vis. There is so much marine life and 50' vis is the norm. You will have to wear a wet suit but the water will be in the 60's.

:D Have fun!!!!:D

Kevin

I want someones recommendation as well as to exactly which port (Cabo, PV or Maz) and where to dive - as the best spot for warmer water - late Nov - & best reefs, clear water etc. and which company do u recommend to dive with? Really appreciate any info u care to share. I enjoy reading here but info on dives in the Carib or California will not assist on my cruise to the Mexican Riviera - will keep the info in mind however when I visit those places. Thanks for sharing..

Well, I can tell you that the water in Cabo San Lucas in July is unpleasant if you do not have thermal protection. We went snorkeling there and we were assured that we did not need our wet suits by the ships crew and the snorkeling operator. BS. I left a 3mm wetsuit on the ship and then was one of only 7 out of 30 people dumb enough to stay in the water after making a giant stride in (first into the water) that literally had me hollering at the rest of my family NOT TO GET IN!!!! Water was 68 degrees.

We did dive in Puerta Vallaerta. We went to Los Arcos as well and then to a sand shoot nearby. Warmer than Cabo, but then I was wearing 3mm suit.

Vis was mediocre. If you have been to Cozumel or Cayman, then you would call the visability at PV poor to really sucky. There was 35-50 feet of visability and it was murky. Thermal protection at both locations is a must. I can't imagine what the temperature was at 70-90 feet at Cabo.

As we are from the west coast, we frequently do family vacations in nearby Mexico. I have been diving in all three ports of call; as others have said, it's not the best diving you will do, but if you want to get wet, do so in PV and Cabo. The diving in Mazatlan is marginal at best and good sites are too far for someone on a cruise to get to.

In PV, skip Los Arcos. Head over to 1) the Las Marietas, where you'll find better visibility and sea life or 2) to La Jolla de Mismaloya (for shore diving) - you can rent tanks and equipment from the dive shop at the hotel. Both options are better than Los Arcos, although Los Arcos at night is quite nice.

In Cabo, there is a wreck by lovers beach - there are a couple of dive ops near the tender drop off that will take you there. There's frequently a lot of current out there and vis can be questionable, but it's an interesting dive. There are several decent sites in Cabo that dive ops visit. Conditions vary - and water temps at both ports of call are 80 in the summer, 70 in winter.

Please note that I have been to all three ports at various times of the year - water temps are cooler than in the Caribbean, but not bad, even at depth - you'll need a 3-5mm wetsuit. December temps are usually around 68 in Cabo and around 74 in PV. In the summer, temps in Cabo are up around 80 degrees and around 84 in PV. But there are strong currents in Cabo, with cold pacific water mixing with warm Sea of Cortez water year round, so temps vary wildly, especially in the winter.

Hope this helps.

Really enjoyed your post - concise & lots of solid info...Wld u recommend diving the North Wall in Cabo - its further by boat (about 25 mins I believe) as I presume the water wldn't be as cold or as much movement there as it is further into the Sea of Cortez but maybe I am wrong? Perhaps u wld care to rcommend another dive site in Cabo. Thanks again for all the great help!

Good info, My wife will be doing a Beginners Resort Dive, but I will wait till we hit the carribbean next March, Conditions and Viz will be alot better in Honduras for her, It will be the Beginner's Scuba Diving at Anthony's Key .

Sounds like the Diving conditions in the Ports of the Mexican Riveria will scare her to death, and Im looking for a fun experiance for her to get her back home and Certified :D

Archived