Cabo San Lucas eco-snorkel tour report

minke

I did this tour on May 1st purchased as a ships excursion, I was well pleased with it & thought it good value. We were picked up at the tender pier & just 12 of us in a R I B (or zodiac). First down to the rocks & arches & closer in than the big tour boats. then took off across the bay hanging on with both hands. First stop Santa Maria bay about 2 miles past the lighthouse, pretty bay but water cloudy as a sandy bottom. Some quite good fish here but poor visability, glad we were not on large excursion boat that arrived as we were leaving. Back along the edge of beach riding the crest of wave & veering away as it started to break, good fun! 2nd stop at pelican rock area, water much clearer with good fish. Driver got in water & guided us round & found puffer fish to see. Gear was provided but I have my own, thought the trip well worth the extra few $ to regular snorkel trip. I have added a few photos to another album on webshots. http://community.webshots.com/album/61558187YbRZRA

I was upset seeing those hands on a puffer fish! They only blow up like that if they are in danger or feel threatened. You should never touch or hassle any marine life or coral, etc. And this was an 'eco-snorkel'? I don't think so. What company was this?

I half expected a comment on that, my sentiments entirely--do not touch under water! & that is my philosophy. I could have left those photos out but left them in as a record. On any guided snorkel excursion you go on, it is their "party piece" to find & show off a puffer fish. Not the done thing but it is their living in a society considerably poorer than ours. Coral is I believe much more vunerable than fish, it is what happens on the trawling boats when loads of fish that are undersize are tipped back dead into the sea that upset me.

Archived