Separate policy for cruise & flight

Debitoo

I apologize if this has been asked before. I didn't find it when I did a search.

I put a down payment on my cruise back in July 2011. I did not buy the insurance at the time. My TA told me I can buy it at final payment. In February, I purchased my airfare (non-refundable) direct from AA. I bought the trip insurance for the flight that was offered at the time of purchase. I'm getting ready to make final payment on the cruise and purchase the insurance, but it looks like what I will be purchasing it's the same coverage except for the cost of the cruise that I already bought for the flight. Should I have waited and just bought the insurance to cover both the flight and the cruise together? Will having 2 policies effect me negatively in any way should I have to use them? Will I be able to use them both for claims if something should happen, (like lost luggage). Did I screw up? I hope this makes sense to someone!

TIA

I apologize if this has been asked before. I didn't find it when I did a search.

I put a down payment on my cruise back in July 2011. I did not buy the insurance at the time. My TA told me I can buy it at final payment. In February, I purchased my airfare (non-refundable) direct from AA. I bought the trip insurance for the flight that was offered at the time of purchase. I'm getting ready to make final payment on the cruise and purchase the insurance, but it looks like what I will be purchasing it's the same coverage except for the cost of the cruise that I already bought for the flight. Should I have waited and just bought the insurance to cover both the flight and the cruise together? Will having 2 policies effect me negatively in any way should I have to use them? Will I be able to use them both for claims if something should happen, (like lost luggage). Did I screw up? I hope this makes sense to someone!

TIA

It all kind of depends on whether or not you need coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Yes, there are plans out there that give you the pre-ex coverage if purchased at the time of final payment. Without knowing the exact plan you're considering it's impossible to tell if this is available.

If it is, some of these same plans require you to insure ALL of your pre-paid trip costs. Again, if that's the case and you need the pre-ex coverage you would have to add the cost of the air tickets to that policy, even though you already have insured them on another policy.

So, if you need the pre-ex coverage, and the plan your TA is offering will provide that coverage if purchased up until the final payment date, and doesn't require that you insure 100% of the trip cost you're OK.

If not, there are other options such as CSA Freestyle plans that give the pre-ex coverage if purchased up to the final payment date and you can insure as little or as much of your trip costs as you feel like. You can find the Freestyle plans at tripinsurancestore.com

If you don't need pre-ex coverage then it doesn't matter.

No, filing two claims for one loss is against the rules. What you can do however, say in the case of a baggage loss claim, is file with one insurerand get paid for whatever they'll cover and if not all of your loss is covered file a separate claim for the rest of your loss. Technically they're not both reimbursing you for the same exact loss.

The only real downside to having two policies with different insurers (besides the pre-ex considerations noted above) is that if you have to cancel you'll have to file two complete sets of claims forms -- one for the cost of the cruise with one insurer and the second for the cost of the airfare with the other insurer.

It all kind of depends on whether or not you need coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Yes, there are plans out there that give you the pre-ex coverage if purchased at the time of final payment. Without knowing the exact plan you're considering it's impossible to tell if this is available.

If it is, some of these same plans require you to insure ALL of your pre-paid trip costs. Again, if that's the case and you need the pre-ex coverage you would have to add the cost of the air tickets to that policy, even though you already have insured them on another policy.

So, if you need the pre-ex coverage, and the plan your TA is offering will provide that coverage if purchased up until the final payment date, and doesn't require that you insure 100% of the trip cost you're OK.

If not, there are other options such as CSA Freestyle plans that give the pre-ex coverage if purchased up to the final payment date and you can insure as little or as much of your trip costs as you feel like. You can find the Freestyle plans at tripinsurancestore.com

If you don't need pre-ex coverage then it doesn't matter.

No, filing two claims for one loss is against the rules. What you can do however, say in the case of a baggage loss claim, is file with one insurerand get paid for whatever they'll cover and if not all of your loss is covered file a separate claim for the rest of your loss. Technically they're not both reimbursing you for the same exact loss.

The only real downside to having two policies with different insurers (besides the pre-ex considerations noted above) is that if you have to cancel you'll have to file two complete sets of claims forms -- one for the cost of the cruise with one insurer and the second for the cost of the airfare with the other insurer.

Sorry, I didn't mention the pre-ex. There are no pre-ex. I would have purchased it as soon as I booked the cruise had this been the case. So the insurance I purchased through the airlines will cover pretty much everything except the cost of the cruise. So now I just need to buy insurance to cover the cost of the cruise itself. Whew....next time I'll know better! Thank you so much for the info. You've really helped!

Archived