Live from the Radiance of the Seas Last NB cruise

I've got a group going next year. Was the fishing an RCCL tour or outside? I have a few people interested in this.

Thanks

Not with RCCL. It was a private charter, Ketchikan Charter. Small boat, no rush. Very pleased with them. Fish was vacuum processed and shipped home.

There are other charters mentioned on CC's Alaska section too. Some offer larger boats for larger groups.

• 4 months later...

Dragon - which excursion did you take in Juneau? You mentioned Last Chance but can you be more specific - was it on a bus or boat? We are taking the same cruise in July on Celebrity and planning now - reading your awesome postings is getting us very excited!

Thanks so much!

Dragon - which excursion did you take in Juneau? You mentioned Last Chance but can you be more specific - was it on a bus or boat? We are taking the same cruise in July on Celebrity and planning now - reading your awesome postings is getting us very excited!

Thanks so much!

Our Last Chance Tour was a bus tour. [small tour bus] It left the parking area right beside the Tram at 9:30. It was a 3.5 hrs tour and it included the $3 admission to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was a good overview. It was raining when we left the dock --so it kept us dry, too. We made a couple of stops. But, it would be appropriate for someone with mobility issues.

It was a city tour, with one stop on Douglas Island and then the Log Church and the Glacier.

By noon the weather cleared a bit and we were able to walk around town. The cost was around $40 pp.

Have fun. We loved Alaska.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I truly enjoyed your review. We will more than likely fly from Richmond ourselves, and intend to go in September. This gives us great information on what to do and what to avoid - and I'll be taking that advice on the coat. Since we don't get to spend months there, it's so difficult to decide what is most valuable.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful trip and pictures.

I truly enjoyed your review. We will more than likely fly from Richmond ourselves, and intend to go in September. This gives us great information on what to do and what to avoid - and I'll be taking that advice on the coat. Since we don't get to spend months there, it's so difficult to decide what is most valuable.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful trip and pictures.

Whatever you do, you will have a great time. AK is a really wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the good wishes. We are currently in Chicago--so, half way there (Or almost).:)

The only issue we had today was that they changed my husbands seat 10 rows away from me. But, we consider ourselves lucky. We have a seat. The flight to Vancouver is oversold!

I've just started reading your review and had to laugh about your frustrations with United. We flew to Seattle on United on Aug 31. They completely cancelled our first flight to SFO leaving us stranded. The next available flight would have made us miss our SFO to SEA-TAC. They checked all flights out of surrounding airports and other airlines trying to get us to SEA-TAC. It was Friday of Labor Day weekend and EVERYTHING was booked. Their only option given was to take the later flight to SFO, then fly from SFO to DENVER, then go standby from DEN to SEA-TAC and HOPE they had two seats available. Seriously??? We ended up driving like madmen to SFO and barely made our flight to SEA-TAC. We made it, but what a scary and frustrating day! We're platinum with United but NOT happy with them. I just had another cancelled flight 2 weeks ago and was bumped to a later flight from SFO to DEN. They bumped me from first class to coach in the very back of the plane, which wouldn't have been so bothersome except I was uncomfortably squeezed between two very large men who did not fit into their own seats :/

Septremberr 4, 2012--Today we were in Juneau, Capital of Alaska, and a city of 32, 000 people. That is very big by Alaska standards. 60% of them work in state or federsl government jobs.

It was a cool and rainy morning--but, very beautiful. This was the view as we started our tour with Last Chance tours.

IMG_5787.jpg

First we headed to Douglas Island across the river from juneau. We were able to see the cruise ships.

IMG_5790.jpg

My internet connection keeps ending. So, I will post this and try a new one for more pictures.

I absolutely love that first shot. Beautiful! We were in Juneau the previous day and also got rained on. Our Tracy Arm excursion was cancelled so we went whale watching. It was still beautiful. DH and I stood outside at the railing even when it was raining so hard we had to put our sunglasses on because the rain + speed stung our eyes lol

We cruised Glacier Bay the day you were in Juneau and we really lucked out on weather with a very sunny day most of the day. Sitka was overcast and a little drizzly. Ketchikan and Victoria was brilliant sunshine!! It was so nice as we sailed to Victoria we wore shorts on our balcony :)

I've just started reading your review and had to laugh about your frustrations with United. . . .They bumped me from first class to coach in the very back of the plane, which wouldn't have been so bothersome except I was uncomfortably squeezed between two very large men who did not fit into their own seats :/

That is a shame you were bumped from first class. The flight to/from Alaska is long. You want to be as comfortable as possible.

I absolutely love that first shot. Beautiful! We were in Juneau the previous day and also got rained on. Our Tracy Arm excursion was cancelled so we went whale watching. It was still beautiful. DH and I stood outside at the railing even when it was raining so hard we had to put our sunglasses on because the rain + speed stung our eyes lol

We cruised Glacier Bay the day you were in Juneau and we really lucked out on weather with a very sunny day most of the day. Sitka was overcast and a little drizzly. Ketchikan and Victoria was brilliant sunshine!! It was so nice as we sailed to Victoria we wore shorts on our balcony :)

Your cruise you kept getting warmer. We did the opposite. It was colder everyday.

• 1 month later...

I want to thank you for the great diary of your trip. We are taking the same cruise August 2013 with kids and you provided me with a wealth of information, including the hotel in Vancouver. We are not going to Denali park, we have almost 2 days after we disembark in Seward so we are still planning out the last two days. Thank you again:):):):)

Sorry--I hit post too soon!

As we arrived there was lots of ice in the water.

6.jpg

The fog lifted a little and we could see the blue of the ice.

10.jpg

More blue ice

5-1.jpg

There were not many pieces breaking off of the glacier (calving) while we were there. ((4-5) This was one area that broke off.

20.jpg

We spent the rest of the day relaxing and packing for the land tour.

Had a lovely time following your adventures. So many of your pictures were breathtaking! Talk about money shots! :D So sad to see how gross the weather was during your Hubbard Glacier visit! Because on my cruise a couple years back, it was the highlight for our entire trip! If you're curious as to what the Hubbard Glaciers look like in sunny weather, you should go take a look at the pic I took of it on my travel blog! It shows off its beauty that many fail to see due to unfortunate weather :(

http://alliciant.tumblr.com/post/46832672512/the-hubbard-glacier-alaska-celebrity-mercury

Edited by lovely_serenity

I want to thank you for the great diary of your trip. We are taking the same cruise August 2013 with kids and you provided me with a wealth of information, including the hotel in Vancouver. We are not going to Denali park, we have almost 2 days after we disembark in Seward so we are still planning out the last two days. Thank you again:):):):)

You will have a great time. The Radiuance is a beautiful ship. All of the glass is perfect for the Alaska scenery.

Denali and Seward are a trade off. The next time we go to AK we will likely spend time in Seward. I think we will wait a couple of years to save up.:D

Had a lovely time following your adventures. So many of your pictures were breathtaking! Talk about money shots! :D So sad to see how gross the weather was during your Hubbard Glacier visit! Because on my cruise a couple years back, it was the highlight for our entire trip! If you're curious as to what the Hubbard Glaciers look like in sunny weather, you should go take a look at the pic I took of it on my travel blog! It shows off its beauty that many fail to see due to unfortunate weather :(

http://alliciant.tumblr.com/post/46832672512/the-hubbard-glacier-alaska-celebrity-mercury

Loved your pics of Hubbard glacier. We really enjoyed seeing the glacier. It is too spectacular to describe. But, I can tell it was even more so on the day you visited. WOW!!

Enjoyed your review and pictures. We are doing Alaska SB on Radiance in June, 2014. I have already booked our cabin. I was lucky enough to get a AFT. We are spending 7 days on a DIY land trip prior to the cruise. Thank you for the great information you provided.:)

Enjoyed your review and pictures. We are doing Alaska SB on Radiance in June, 2014. I have already booked our cabin. I was lucky enough to get a AFT. We are spending 7 days on a DIY land trip prior to the cruise. Thank you for the great information you provided.:)

Thanks, you are goinf to love your aft balcony. There will be many times you will want to see the view. We found that on the day we were at the gacier you really needed to be our on deck to get the 360 views.

Have a good cruise.

• 2 years later...