Livorno Suggestion please

Mr&MrsSmith

I am a bit torn on what to do in the Livorno port. We usually like to explore the area by ourselves (renting vehicles or using the public transport) instead of tours but not sure if this is a port to do this in.

My husband would like to stop in Pisa for atleast a picture and is attracted to the Florence videoclip we saw with architecture and markets My concern is if vehicles able to park in Pisa and Florence or are even worth it? I am on the contrary aiming more towards a winery and the Tuscan feel :) hence desiring the drive. We have 7-7 at the port itself.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Suggest Tuscany if you want a rental car experience. Pisa and Florence are best done by train. Parking is a pain in both cities, with stiff fines if you enter the regulated zones by mistake.

You can do both P and F in a day. Get an early start and go direct to F first. If time permits, catch P on the way back. The train goes thru P both directions.

Another fun day is Pisa and Lucca by train. You change trains in Pisa, but really easy. Lucca is a must visit if you like a great Italian experience, with few tourists, fine cafes and restaurants, easy walking and history dating back to the 1200's.

We did a private tour with Romeinlimo and did exactly what you are talking about. I had been to Florence and other areas on numerous occasions and wanted to do something different. I was traveling with my mother and wasn't interested in going about things on our own. My mother had not seen Pisa on our previous trip, so we stopped there and did some photos and then we went on to Lucca but we spent the majority of the day exploring the wineries on the Montecarlo wine road. It was one of the best days I've had in the Mediterranean. We stopped at 3 different places. My favorite was Fattoria di Fubbiano. The scenery was amazing and it was such a great day. I highly suggest it.

Archived