Price drop question(s).

We booked an inside on Grandeur for next October ('13). I've been reading the boards and have noticed that there may (or may not) be a chance for a price drop during the next year and some months. If there is a price drop, does a refund happen automatically, or do I have to contact them?

I looked at the original price - which is actually 30 dollars more per person than I'd anticipated - I don't know why the site would quote one price and I actually receive another, that's a mystery to me. How does this actually work? Would I see the price on the website and call, or do they take care of it... what happens?

Also, I know this is a long, long, LONG shot... but are there ever upgrades offered when an inside is originally booked (i.e., inside to OV)? I know better than to hope for a balcony or higher, heh, but I figured I would ask the question anyway.

Thanks.

If there is a price drop, it does not ever happen automatically. You have to call Royal (or, if you booked through a travel agent, your travel agent has to call). You can either monitor the website on a regular basis, or you can sign up with one of the websites that will do that for you and email you when there's a price drop. Once the date of final payment comes, you can no longer get price drops. As for an upgrade, if the price of an outside cabin drops below what you paid, then you can call and get upgraded for no additional charge, and you can do this even after final payment (as long as the new lower price you see isn't "for new bookings only").

As for an upgrade, if the price of an outside cabin drops below what you paid, then you can call and get upgraded for no additional charge, and you can do this even after final payment (as long as the new lower price you see isn't "for new bookings only").

I should add that I (and others who posted to my earlier question) was able to upgrade to a better class of room (inside to balcony), despite the fact it was on sale "for new bookings only". This is possible if you are willing to pay the difference. Since what they do behind the scenes is actually cancel your existing reservation and put you into a new one, you just need to make sure they remember to waive the cancellation penalty.

Archived