Jamaica a Disappointment (Ocho Rios)

ladyt

I have been to Jamaica a few times and have put it on my list of places I don't care to see again. I just never felt safe, even on a tour, and with so many port options, I try to choose cruises that do not stop in Jamaica.

On the other hand, my sister was with me on our last trip there (did a different tour) and they had a fantastic time, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

I say, go at least once, you never know until you try it. Just be cautious and smart in the choices you make when you are there.

I have been to Jamaica a few times and have put it on my list of places I don't care to see again. I just never felt safe, even on a tour, and with so many port options.

Curious to know what happened to you that made you feel unsafe. I've traveled to Jamaica many times for weeks at a time (and I do not stay in gated all-inclusive resorts either) and there has never been a time that I felt that I was in any danger.

I guess I can't really say it was one thing in particular, but the overall aggresiveness of the people is a big part of it. Our last trip there, even our tour guide was not friendly and made us feel not welcome. Like I said in my previous post, my sister had a totally different experience on their tour and I think everyone should go once to form their own opinion. Everyone's tastes and comfort levels are different.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe we were more of a target because of my 17 year old son, but all I heard was "Yo you want some weed", "Yo you want some hash". They were very up front in your face (keep in mind that this was right in front of the pier area). They were insistant.

This is why we decided to go back to the ship, I had enough, even my husband had enough.

We went to Ocho Rios in 2003 and did the Dunn's River excursion. Coming down the hill after climbing the falls, we were yelled at from behind a fence about drugs. When we got back near the boat, we went out into town and went to that same shopping area you were talking about. Someone asked us on our way into the area if we wanted to buy drugs. We said no and kept walking. But that was our experience.

But, then again, I was in New Orleans in 1999 and was asked if I wanted to buy any "x". I guess people that sell drugs see tourists as a potential client, no matter what city it is. But, my husband and I are going to New Orleans this week, so it won't keep me from going back to cities that it happened in. I will, however, do a tour of the town if I go back to Ocho Rios and not wander around with my husband by ourselves! :) -Charity

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in April of 2004. I had expected after reading these boards that we might be approached, and we were all well prepared to say a firm NO, but did not have a problem. There was myself, husband, and 3 daughters (21. 19. 13).

We were approached about hair braiding and jewelry, but not for drugs...maybe we don't look like the drug types. We found a firm but polite smile worked for the braiding and jewelry hawkers.

Jamaica is a beautiful island if you do it right. There are so many natural resources. We are going there for our 3rd time in November. Once we were there on a cruise and now this will be our 2nd time stayng at a Sandals resort. We booked trips with A-Z planners and they were wonderful. I never felt unsafe there and our guide was with us at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I love Jamaica too. We're also headed back to Sandals (Negril) this November and just booked the 7/1/06 CP as our daughter's h.s. graduation gift. This will be her first time to Jamaica and we specifically picked the Western itinerary because of the ports (Ocho Rios, Cayman & Coz). We think it's important for her to see firsthand what life is like in 3rd world countries. And if anyone thinks that offers of drug sales don't exist on the streets in the U.S., they're obviously not getting out much.

The Hag

• 1 year later...

Yes, the scenery in Jamaica is beautiful. I suspect the wonderful scenery and weather cloud the people's opinions about this ugly country.

On a recent trip to the island I drove to Negril in a large van. We stopped at a Church in a small town and the locals saw that we had arrived. They ran to us and started begging like crazy. By the time we were allowed back into the bus, there was maybe 100 people around us trying to sell us something or just begging. SAD.

I do want to point out that I believe people have a hard time but I am just in shock about the pot sales. Really, Jamaican jails are terrible to the point of horror. I cannot imagine people selling real pot or try to, to cruise ship passengers.

Nliedel, it must be that those selling drugs to cruise passengers were successful with sales in the past. I can almost assure you that there would have been no supply without demand.

We did the Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios and then afterwards, the tour guide dropped us back at the pier. We wanted to walk around and do some shopping but then I realized that there weren't many things of interest to buy...we're not into the touristy trinkets so we decided to grab some lunch and sit in a near by square.

It wasn't that I felt unsafe but I could feel people leering at us, maybe because we were tourists. I felt really unwelcomed...my husband and I ate our food as quick as possible and got back on the ship.

If we weren't doing an excursion or activity, I would hesitate to get off in Ocho Rios again...just because there's not much else to do in the port area and it felt uninviting.

It was my least favourite port on our cruise in February.

We've vacationed in Jamaica 9 times since 1998. Three of those times with our daughter. We've made many wonderful new friends there. We are looking forward to our excursion to Nine Mile and the birth place of Bob Marley as part of our cruise stop in June.

You must use common sense and caution when traveling anywhere in the world you're not familiar with. Just as you would while traveling here in the U.S.

We've been to Jamaica 3 times - on cruises. I never feel totally comfortable there and we are always approached. We (dh and I both) have been offered drugs for sale.

Last year we traveled with a family who had teenage boys. They were constantly harrassed about buying drugs. They even bother you in the little shops at the pier. We went to board and security first pulled the 17 yr old boy out of line. VERY shy and quiet kid. Just turned 17. Anyway they took him to a separate area and pulled a curtain around him. Our friend (his mom) freaked out. Informing them that this was her MINOR child... etc. Soon they pulled the 19 yr old son as well. Not quite shy and making jokes about it when he was through. They did a physical search of them and it was scary.

That same trip, hubby and our two kids and the other family all did the river tubing and they really, really enjoyed it. However, they could smell the marijuana! LOL And were warned to stay with their guides as the land around there could get dangerous if you wandered away. They saw a few guys as they went down the river sitting in their chairs with their guns across their laps. Little scary too!

They came back to the ship and the women and our daughters and one of the husbands decided to do some shopping so we took a taxi into town. They do harass you, but we simply give a polite no thanks. I am never too impressed with the shopping, but were traveling with some who had never been there and mostly went for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I also was very disappointed with Jaimaica. My husband was asked numerous times if he wanted to buy drugs. One man took my sister by the hand and would not let go,when she finally did get her hand back her diamond ring was halfway up her finger,she thinks he was trying to steal it. And we were constantly bothered by people wanting to braid our hair or wanting us to buy something from them and they dont seem to know what the word no means. I was in Ocho Rios and maybe somewhere else on the island is nicer but I'll never know because I do not want to go there again.

Jamaica is a beautiful country with beautiful people; however, it can be intimidating. I would highly recommend a tour guide if "comfort" is a concern.

My husband and I didn't know what to expect after reading so many reviews. We booked Marva Shaw (http://www.knowjamaica.com) who comes highly recommended. We LOVED her and would book her again in a heartbeat. We had the BEST time of any port we visited! WE were so surprised by that!

Good luck! :)

Archived