Cave Tubing - Carnival or Independant?

ldarcy

There's been lots of talk about which tour to take for the cave tubing... but can anyone tell me the difference between a Carnival tours and the independant ones? Other than cost, what makes the independant ones so much better? I noticed that the Carnival tours only have so-so ratings while the independant ones are rated much higher.

We've always done the ship's tours, because I have a phobia about being left behind, but maybe I need to break out of my shell a little? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any recommendations!

Ldarcy

I would recommend going independent. More specifically Cave-tubing.com I went with them in 2008 when I was there and they were the BEST! They had guides to split your group up into small groups so that you coul enjoy the tubing much better. They were very attentative to you as well. The Carnival tours put everyone in one big line and do the tubing that way. Our group was about 19 people or so and they split us up into about 4-5 people per group. It was an awesome time and they will take care of your group!

To me, independent means....independent...as in you get that independent personal service. They work really hard for you because they are basically competing against those that take the cruise line tours and they want your business. There are some wonderful companies you could use to do the cavetubing. We had the best experience EVER with .bz

Here is my review along with a link at the bottom for pictures that day. They more than went out of their way to please us and show us the best time ever.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

As for it being a long ride or whatever and the concern that a lot of people have about missing the ship. These companies know everything there is to know about the ships schedules and times. This is their business. They will always make sure to have you back to the ship in time. The last thing they want is for bad reviews to come in about their company which causes them to lose money. They know when to have you back (and they usually make sure you are back long before it's time to be back) and they are also prepared with back up plans...just in case (like a flat tire or something that could go wrong with the bus). :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a pictorial review of our cave tubing adventure with Cave Tubing R Us, August 15, 2012.

We chose this company, not only because we had read such wonderful reviews about this company on Trip Advisor but also because they use tubes with headrests that link together--so there is no foot/armpit hanging on required!

Once on shore we quickly met up with our tour operator Dave and Henry from Cave Tubing R Us. Henry led the way to a large van/mini bus where 2 people were already waiting. Another group of 7 joined us shortly after. Dave greeted everyone with enthusiasm and excitement. He originally said he would be spending the day with us, which we thought would be wonderful, but then said he had to pick someone else up and took off.

By 10:05, we were on our way. Dave’s 15-year old son, Antonio also came along. We rode in the van through the countryside for about 1 hour to get to the Cave Tubing Park. Henry drove the van while another guide, Marcel pointed out sites along the way and provided information about Belize.

marcelnarrates.png

During the drive, we also watched a video presentation all about Belize…and…then it began to rain.

Some sites along the way:

Belizean homes

IMG_4736.jpg

The sleeping giant

IMG_4739.jpg

We arrived at the Cave Tubing Park in the rain—it was not a heavy downpour, but it was steady. We hiked for 5 minutes in the rain before crossing the river.

The start of the trail

DSCF0114.jpg

Crossing the river

DSCF0116.jpg

Then we hiked for another 35 min along a well-kept trail, through the rainforest, again in the rain--all the while carrying inner tubes over our heads. (They worked well as umbrellas!) Henry said the rain is actually nice, as it can get quite hot and humid walking through the rainforest.

Henry leads the way

DSCF0123.jpg

Our hike through the rainforest, did feel somewhat rushed. I could tell Henry really wanted to get ahead of the cruise ship crowd and other groups that were already ahead of us on the trail. Whereas other groups stopped along the trail to learn about different trees, plants etc., we walked passed it all. We didn’t even see the termite mound which we read so much about! We stopped once in a dry cave that had bats in it and Henry provided a narration about that—and that was it with the rainforest tour.

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg

Once we got to the river, the rain stopped. Our other guide Marcel, approached us holding out his hand to reveal live termites crawling all over it--this was kind of gross!

Marcel’s termite-infested hand!

DSCF0134.jpg

The termites were much smaller than I imagined them to be. He asked if anyone wanted to taste a termite. There was no way I was going to put one of those things in my mouth--but DH was brave and tried some. He said they tasted "minty".

My DH tastes a live termite. That’s Marcel next to him.

DSCF0135.jpg

Henry and Marcel divided the group up into two groups of 7 and linked our tubes together. Henry stayed with the other group, while Marcel was the guide for ours.

That’s the cave entrance over there on the right.

cavetubingentrance.png

Ready to begin our tubing adventure.

DSCF0143.jpg

Entering the cave—let the adventure begin!

enteringthecave.png

Then with our guide and helmet light to illuminate the way, we enjoyed floating for 35 minutes through the ancient Mayan caves.

Entering the cave. Did you know the Mayans consider caves as an entrance into the underworld?

DSCF0147.jpg

Floating through Xibalba which means “Place of Fright.” During heavy rains, the water level will reach up to the top of this level.

DSCF0149.jpg

(those white spots are helmet lights in the distance)

Our headlights reveal interesting crystal formations as well as stalagmites and stalactites.

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

There was a small waterfall in the cave and Marcel made sure we all had a chance to go through it and experience the fresh, cool water.

Getting splashed by the waterfall.

DSCF0178.jpg

We float past a sinkhole in the cave system.

DSCF0185.jpg

Approaching the cave exit.

DSCF0193.jpg

This is where the cruise ship cave tubing excursions get off…

DSCF0195.jpg

…but we continue on.

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

At the end of the cave system, we were able to get out of our tubes and go for a swim in the water. I noticed we were the only group that went swimming in the river. The other tubing groups stayed in their tubes and continued floating down the river.

The water was cool, but refreshing.

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0211.jpg

Continuing down the river.

DSCF0222.jpg

The boys also enjoyed jumping off a rock into the water below. There was one rock where jumping off was once permitted, but the park rangers no longer allow jumping from here, because someone got hurt. My DH was disappointed by this, so Marcel pointed out a different spot where DH and the boys could jump safely.

DSCF0228.jpg

That’s the rock where jumping once was allowed.

DSCF0237.jpg

Between swimming, floating and jumping, it took us another 25 minutes to get back to the spot where we first crossed over in the water.

Heading back. It was a short 5 minute walk to the van.

DSCF0239.jpg

Once everyone was back, Henry informed us that we have 45 minutes before we need to leave and if we like, we could check out the gift shop or eat lunch from the onsite buffet. As a group we decided that 45 minutes did not give us much time and we all passed on picking up lunch from here. We read many reviews on Trip Advisor about Dave taking his groups to a local place called Cheers for lunch. We were hoping that we could go there too. My DH asked about stopping at Cheers and Henry said we wouldn’t have enough time as it takes 30 minutes for them to prepare the food once you place your order. We were somewhat disappointed by that, but what can we do when time works against us?

Caves Branch Outpost Gift Shop and Buffet Restaurant.

IMG_4743.jpg

Dave showed up and thanked everyone for booking with him. Although we only met Dave briefly, we could see that he has a very dynamic, joking and outgoing personality. To us, both Marcel and Henry were much more serious and business-like. Although we still had a good time cave tubing, I know our tubing experience would have been completely different and much more “lively” had Dave been a part of it.

That was a great time in Belize, a wonderful nature adventure tubing down the rivers. It had rained the day before but waters were still calm and safe. We used belizeexcursions.biz and could not be happier with their service. Reservations were easy with great assistance, our guide awaited us at the pier and provided very good attention. Next time we will try the snorkeling or Mayan Ruins!

Archived