Seabourn Antarctica

shefinch

OK well dear partner and I took the bait and booked the 11/20/13 Quest Antarctic Experience departure. Yes, this is the first one. The inaugural. The guinea pigs.

You can bet that any legitimate cruise line entering a new and potentially profitable cruise market will do everything possible to prepare, starting with poaching the best and brightest expedition staff and ice captains (I hear SB did). Who doesn't think that an abundance of SB Corporate Staff will be on board to make sure things go smoothly? Not that things can't go wrong, just ask the folks at SilverSea who have cancelled most of their Antarctic itineraries this season. (With well wishes and respect to the injured SS crew)

Regardless, this is our first foray into Seabourn though we have over 400 nights on Regent and even recently disembarked the Seven Seas Mariner (Lima to Buenos Aires 1-20-13 to 2-14-13) where we had an exceptional cruise. Note to SB home office: Looking to get cruisers from other luxury cruise lines? Mission accomplished!

Now show us we made a good choice! We're looking forward to an excellent time.

Edited by TPAtravelfan

TPATravelfan you say SS "cancelled most of their Antarctic itineraries this season" that's a bit of an exageration. They cancelled one cruise and curtailed the cruise that the incident took place on. We were on the next cruise that left on 31st Jan and all was as scheduled.

You will indeed have "the brightest Expedition Leader" for your Antarctic portion as it's Robin West the Expedition leader from Silver Explorer who will be on for the three month season with his wife and Assistant Expedition Leader Jarda. There will also be Chris Srigley another SS expedition Team member. Robin and his team are one of the main reasons we went SS as we had experienced the Arctic with Robin on SS and the organisiation, professionalism and knowledge he has in polar regions is second to none. I also see SB has engaged an experienced ice Captain for this section.

I only hope SB listen to Robin and allow him to arrange what it takes to deliver an amazing customer experience.

We were on Quest in October and it is indeed an elegant ship with a great passenger space ratio both in public area and cabins. We unfortunately met with a few service issues at meal times which were not handled with the grace and care I would have expected. Hopefully those indiviuals have not had their contracts renewed or have had some training.

Your trip is the 21 Day Ultimate Antartica & Patagonia one and I think worth remebering that the Antarctic section is only a quarter of what is a super overall itinery. The exact landings on the Peninsula will not be booked until the July booking slot opens and all cruise companies put in their request for days/times for the forthcoming season and even then will be subject to change at a moments notice. With the large passenger numbers and the tight restrictions as others have mentioed it will probably be only one landing a day that will be planned and if weather conditions change it may mean some are unfortunate that day as with any polar excursions.

My personal thoughts are I'm very happy to have been to Antarctica with an Expedition Ship and SS in particular but if I had 21 days to travel round South America and "take in" Antartctica again I wouldnt say no to Quest.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the positive feedback maddie2312! I can't imagine that Robin and his team would risk their obviously well regarded reputations on a less-than-stellar operational plan, but only time will tell.

We've become enchanted with the "deep south" and I expect we will consider a purely expedition voyage to Antarctica sometime in the future. This cruise will allow us to do several things though: let a couple of die-hard Regent cruisers see what Seabourn is all about, revisit highlights from our previous SA cruise and get a first visit to the Antarctic peninsula in no-compromise luxury.

I'll post a trip report after we get back.

I notice that in 2014 the Quest transatlantic will not sail to Rio but instead do the Uk to Canada that the Sojoun usually does. I wonder if that meens it will not do Antartic or that they will sail from Canada to South America. I cannot believe they will use a different ship after the bow strengthening:confused:

TPA travel fan, we too will be traveling on the the Quest to the Antartica, but on the second journey - the one over the holidays. I will be looking forward to your report and hope that you will be posting on board prior to our departure. We will be pre and post staying for two to three days in Santiago and Buenos Aires and finding a transfer for Santiago to Valpariso. For now we are taking Seabourn's business air but am planning on looking into frequent flyer mile in a couple of days when it opens. We are looking forward to this especially after reading about Robin West and entourage.

NBC News correspondent Kerry Sanders has been doing a great piece from Antarctica for the last few days discussing the diminishing ice and its effect on, among other things, the penguins. There are some great penguin shots and his daily diary on NBC's website in case you want to start getting excited about your trip. I believe he is on the Ocean Diamond with Quark Adventures.

Well I am happy to help but do have an ulterior motive as I would like to visit Antarctica in the next few years and am torn between Seabourn and Lindblad (with whom we have done numerous adventure trips). So I will be hanging onto every word of your report when you return.:)

We booked Quest for 1/25/14 sailing, Capt Jergen's (will be at the helm) met with us privately to chat about the Antarctica on our recent SB cruise. He has 6 yrs experience in Antarctica, and is very passionate about the area. He will take the ship into dry dock later this month for the re-fit to the hull, and hoists for the zodiacs. It is my understanding that there will be only 350 passengers on board and landing will be rotating basis, by groups, in addition there will be separate experienced zodiac's crews on board, as well as the speciality speakers.

He told us to bring an extra set of heavy socks, liners for gloves, and silk long johns! Rubber boots and Parkas will be provided, suggest tape to mark your boots to find easily (thank to Gene!)

• 1 month later...

Booked the 1/04/14 sailing and thx to all the tips. To those looking down their noses at those of us who chose our adventure slightly diluted, I'd say not everyone aspires to climb Everest. lighten up.

Regards,

Hjames2:)

Booked the 1/04/14 sailing and thx to all the tips. To those looking down their noses at those of us who chose our adventure slightly diluted, I'd say not everyone aspires to climb Everest. lighten up.

Regards,

Hjames2:)

We just booked the same cruise! See you on-board.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if a boat the size of the Quest can make it to Antarctica and South Georgia Island if the weather is bad? Heard ice could prevent landings

the answer to your question is YES. They have replated and reinforced the haul of the quest just weeks ago in Genoa, Italy durring a 3 week comprehensive dry dock. As with everything, there are no guarrantees regarding the landings due to ever changing micro climate that can change on a dime's notice in Antarctica. Seabourn is limiting the number of guest on each sailing to no more than 330 paxs thus ensuring a smooth non packed to the rafters ship while in South America/Patagonia. We willl also be carrying some 70 naturalists, geologists, guest lectureurs and photographers with workshops onboard

;;xxxxx'

We have seen much smaller ships en route to Antarctica and some damaged. We have been twice and the last time our ship- same size as the Quest, struck an ice berg in Hope bay one foggy morning. There was quite a lot of damage and some immediate anxiety with some passengers.

However the hull was inspected by the ships divers and much repair and clearing of ice on the aft decks was soon completed.

We had an excellent time and this is why we are doing it again.

Landings totally dependant on ice and weather conditions.

Kind regards

Tony

Thanks for the info--do you know what the Quest's hull rating is? For example the Silversea Explorer is 1A.

the answer to your question is YES. They have replated and reinforced the haul of the quest just weeks ago in Genoa, Italy durring a 3 week comprehensive dry dock. As with everything, there are no guarrantees regarding the landings due to ever changing micro climate that can change on a dime's notice in Antarctica. Seabourn is limiting the number of guest on each sailing to no more than 330 paxs thus ensuring a smooth non packed to the rafters ship while in South America/Patagonia. We willl also be carrying some 70 naturalists, geologists, guest lectureurs and photographers with workshops onboard

;;xxxxx'

Thanks for the info--do you know what the Quest's hull rating is? For example the Silversea Explorer is 1A.

No I don't but I will ask Captain Anderssen tomorrrow morning when I usually see him in the Observation Lounge for "Early Morning Risers Coffee" at 6:15am and ask him.

• 3 months later...
We just booked the same cruise! See you on-board.

So have we, our first cruise.Are you folk buying clothing on the Seabourn web site or shopping at home? I'm really not sure how cold (and maybe wet in the Zodiacs) it is likely to be. Would be great to hear from someone who has done it before

Same cruise too!

I bought some Icebreaker thermals (can't beat an NZ merino) and stalked to shops t the end of snow season sales for bargains.

I wanted to be sure stuff would fit and that there wouldn't be any confusion in our suite over who owned what

So have we, our first cruise.Are you folk buying clothing on the Seabourn web site or shopping at home? I'm really not sure how cold (and maybe wet in the Zodiacs) it is likely to be. Would be great to hear from someone who has done it before

The only thing we will get from Seabourn are the boots which, I believe, are rented. We have plenty of ski gear which will work fine for this trip.

I don't think it will be too cold .... it is their summer after all. Maybe in the 20f - 40F range and I have skied in a lot colder than that (think Vermont in January :eek: ). Good cold weather undergarments, decent ski pants, fleece, parka (supplied by Seabourn), wooly hat and good gloves (I always buy gloves with Goretex). If the sea is rough I doubt they will launch the zodiacs so not too bothered about getting wet and the clothes listed above will be fine for the occasional splash.

Just curious. My DH and friends we travel with are trying to talk me into this cruise. I have some back problems and wonder if someone can tell me how difficult it is to get in and out of the zodiac boats? I would like to see this part of the world before it is gone.

Just curious. My DH and friends we travel with are trying to talk me into this cruise. I have some back problems and wonder if someone can tell me how difficult it is to get in and out of the zodiac boats? I would like to see this part of the world before it is gone.

I cannot imagine it will be too horrible. Seabourn passengers are not generally known for their athleticism so I would think they would take that into account for the zodiacs.

We decided to get our clothes from Seabourn web site because we are not used to cold weather - we never have snow. We had it sent here rather than the ship to make sure it fitted. It arrived yesterday, looks to be good quality and it fits. I now wish we had ordered more socks!