Do you hang beaded tops and beaded jackets?

Is it better to hang beaded/sequined tops and beaded/sequined jackets or is it better to lay them flat? Because the beading is heavy, I am thinking that it is better to lay them flat instead of hanging them on hangers.

Also, what is the best way to pack beaded/sequined tops and jackets so that the beads and sequins are not crushed or broken?

I keep mine folded because if hung, they will "grow" and become out of shape. When packing, I use lots of tissue paper, layering it between the folds. I'm anxious to hear how others deal with this.

Esther

Agree. Beaded tops will loose thier shape very fast on a hanger... I lay them flat in the suitcase... It is usually the last to be packed in the suitcase before I close it up . I put it in plastic, and just fold in half...

No matter what the quality, the "glitter" will transer to your other outfits, so any plastic will avoid this ... By folding the top in half keeps the form... I then pack a padded hanger... Once on the ship, comes out of the suitcase on to the padded hanger, and will hold great shape until you wear it.... There you have it.....my 2 cents

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

smoothdancer: how many days do you hang your beaded tops on a padded hanger?

Speaking of hangers, are the cruise ship's hangers made from wood, wire, or plastic? It's probably a good idea to bring a couple of padded hangers,

If you are in need of a padded hanger and none are available I have made do by draping a towel over the hanger before hanging the garment. I have also improvised by placing face clothes folded (clean of course) at the ends of the hanger. This way you avoid getting those points at the shoulder of fine things.

Another packing tip:

My mom is like, the most organized person in the world (yet so disorganized at the same time). Anyhow, one tip she always gives me and uses is to stick stuff that you don't want wrinkled in trash bags in your suitcase (dry cleaning bags work too but make sure you let the clothes air a bit before you wear them because of the chemicals). The reason for this is the clothes will slide nicely over the others when the bag moves around and prevent massive wrinkling :) That might be helpful if you wrapped the dress in tissue paper (per the suggestion of esther e) and then put it in a dry cleaning back to make sure it doesn't get messed it :)

By the way ester e, fab tip on the tissue paper!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the plastic bag packing technique, too.

I have a beaded dress and borrow a beaded top sometimes from my best friend. (Now THAT'S a really good friend who loans you her $150 Nordstrom's beaded top for your cruise!!).

Anyway, I put the plastic bag over the beaded garment, then I "accordian" pleat-fold it into the suitcase. The "pleating" creates air pockets, and it folds small so there's less surface to rub around and get broken sequins or beads. I like to pack these in my carry-on so they don't get further smushed in the main luggage.

I think you could use the same technique for gowns. My beaded dress is cocktail length, but the "plastic coated accordian" technique works great with it. Never a bead missing.

Of course, to repeat myself, I baby these clothes and take them is a soft sports bag on the plane with me so nothing sits on top of the bag.

Have been reading all the good things about fashion, some really great ideas. As for the beaded clothing. always store them in a bag folded. I always put mine in paper bags. We do a lot of formal events, Mardi Gras being the largest. Most beaded dresses are beaded on silk. Hang silk and the silk will stretch. Hems will be out of wack. Silk is a very strong fabric, hence it's use with beads. :) As to the white pants; love them. I don't stick with what everyone else is wearing. I wear what I want, what I like. Isn't that called personal style?:D

Archived