Question about credit cards

CrusinNana

Just got back from a vacation in Austria, Germany, Holland, and France. My credit cards, both MC and VISA, were rejected at two separate grocery stores one in Bamburg Germany and one on the outskirts of Amsterdam. We ended up paying cash. Austria and France had no trouble accepting our credit cards (Dual format). Restaurants all had portable card readers so the transactions happened at our table. Bottom line, take a limited amount of cash, and have access to an ATM. On another note, we were told by relatives in Holland, that their cards are DEBIT cards at grocery stores. They still bear the MC and Visa logos, and require a pin.

We just got back from river cruising on Avalon from Budapest to Amsterdam. Had no problem using our debit/and or credit cards any place. We did notify the respective credit card companies that we would be in several countries and which ones they would be. I just got my first chip card and didn't have it with me. Most places either had portable credit card machines or they asked my hubby to come with them while they put in our transaction.

Here's my advice - make sure that if you have a card with a chip that your pin is only 4 digits. I had one with 5 last time I was in Europe and it wasn't accepted. Also, make sure that you memorize the numbers - the European keypads don't have the letters marked on them. Something small but significant!

Archived