HALIFAX, NS, CA Mass transit

Halifax, NS, Ca is a wonderful city an place.

Hope this helps all big and small. Little and tall.

hrm_logo2.gif

header.gif

Schedule Information

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/Schedules/index.asp

:::::::::::::::::

Contact HRM by Phone

Our friendly and knowledgeable Corporate Call Centre staff can provide a wide variety of municipal information and assistance.

Hours of Operation

Seven days a week

7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

(excluding Holidays)

Only urgent calls related to public works

and animal control will be accepted outside

of these hours.

(902) 490-4000

Toll-Free (Nova Scotia only): 1 (800) 835-6428

TTY (Hearing impaired teletypewriter users only): (902) 490-6645

Contact HRM by Mail

Our general mailing address:

PO Box 1749

Halifax, NS B3J 3A5

Canada

To those of you familiar with Halifax - I was looking at Route 17 to go to Clayton Park Shopping Center. Is there a more scenic route or better-in-general route to get to the shopping center? Or is there somewhere else better to go to for using up part of the day? We will be in Halifax two days on our cruise and we have been there several times. I was trying to find something different to do on one of the days.

Also, how long would you estimate the walk is from the pier to Point Pleasant Park (time wise)? I thought the park would be a nice place to visit too. Would we walk south on Barrington, right on Englis and then south on Young? Would it be better to take the bus there?

Thanks for the help.

1055 Marginal Road, NS B3H 4P7 I dont think it takes quite this long to walk there. It is lovely by the way although most of the trees on the point were destroyed by Hurricane Juan in 2003.

I am not much of a shopper, but better shopping centres exist. One of the biggest is the Halifax Shopping Centre. I do not know the bus routes but it is located here: http://*******/maps/oxkpi and you could take busses which go on Bayers Road or Mumford Road.

OK google maps says to take bus #1 and you can even put in the times! http://*******/maps/0lUxW

There are lots of things to see and do in Halifax. Have you taken the ferry to Dartmouth? or the Harbour Hopper? gone to Peggy's Cove, gone to Lunenburg?

Thanks Maryann. Yes, we have been to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, twice to Peggy's Cove, twice to Fairlawn Cemetery, Maritime Museum, Public Gardens and walked the town, gone to the Atlantic Superstore, etc. No, we have never taken the ferry over to Dartmouth. Actually that was another one of my possibilities. That would be nice and I thought the bus ride would also give us a change of scenery. Thanks for the bus info. Things like that are good to know. Your link for Marginal Dr. won't come up. How long did it say it would take to walk there?

Thanks.

Thanks for your efforts, but those sites don't come up either. :(

When you come out of the Cruise Terminal turn left and follow Marginal Rd which is in front of you. Pass the docks along the waterfront to PP Park about 15-20mins depending on speed. It was repaved in the spring so is in good shape. As you have been here before you know to just ask if you think you're lost!!!

You could come back by Young Ave to Inglis and then Barrington to Westin Hotel and Cruise port behind.

Another Tour particularly nice at this time of year would be to Wolfville and Grand Pre and if interested stopping at some of the wineries. Grand Pre' has just been named World Heritage Site by UNESCO, site of the expulsion of the Acadians and the inspiration for Wordworths' poem Evangeline.

http://www.wolfville.ca/

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grandpre/index.aspx

www.luckettvineyards.com/

Thanks Maryann. Yes, we have been to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, twice to Peggy's Cove, twice to Fairlawn Cemetery, Maritime Museum, Public Gardens and walked the town, gone to the Atlantic Superstore, etc. No, we have never taken the ferry over to Dartmouth. Actually that was another one of my possibilities. That would be nice and I thought the bus ride would also give us a change of scenery. Thanks for the bus info. Things like that are good to know. Your link for Marginal Dr. won't come up. How long did it say it would take to walk there?

Thanks.

Hi,

I live in Dartmouth, you can always get the ferry to Dartmouth and the number 54 bus to MicMac Mall which is a large shopping centre and only about a 10 minute bus ride. You just get a transfer at the ferry and that will be good for the bus too. Total fare $2.25 pp each way.

Thanks Patch21. That's a good idea. Do you know what bus # we would be taking from the ferry to the mall? That way I can look up the time schedule.

Hi

It would be the number 54 to Montebello, it's quite a nice ride as it will take you through the downtown and residential areas. Not sure what day you will be here but Sunday the mall is open in the afternoon but the ferry and bus schedules are not frequent.

Ginny

• 3 weeks later...

Since you haven't left yet hopefully you'll scratch the idea of the Clayton Park Shopping Center off your list. I actually had to google it to see if where you were talking was where I was thinking... Unless of course you have a deep desire to shop at a drug store, go to a gym, the bank, a dollar store thats closing out (hey 6 items for $5 a couple weeks ago!) etc...

Like others have said if you want to shop head to Halifax Shopping Center which has everything from a dollar store, Sears to the Apple Store and across the street Wallymart, grocery store, Winners (think TJMaxx/Marshalls)

http://halifaxshoppingcentre.com/find-a-store

You could also head to Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth but even as a native Haligonian I don't think i'd even do that by bus... most likely at least a 30min trek each way depending on the time of day!

You could also head to Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth but even as a native Haligonian I don't think i'd even do that by bus... most likely at least a 30min trek each way depending on the time of day!

Mic Mac Mall is our plan. Have never taken the ferry over to Dartmouth and we have nothing else to do for the day. We've been to Halifax several times and just want an easy day. We aren't shop-a-holics, just want somewhere different to go, browse, eat lunch. Do you agree Mic Mac would fill that want?

Mic Mac Mall is our plan. Have never taken the ferry over to Dartmouth and we have nothing else to do for the day. We've been to Halifax several times and just want an easy day. We aren't shop-a-holics, just want somewhere different to go, browse, eat lunch. Do you agree Mic Mac would fill that want?

Definitely will - just concerned with the timing since it's the Sunday you're planning on doing Mic Mac and the bus/ferry times are different on weekends than during the week (The #1 Spring Garden which would take you to the Halifax mall runs every 15/30 minutes whereas the ferry is every 30min and then the #54 Montebello every 60 mins).

If you stay on the Halifax side and get delayed or miss the bus for whatever reason it's a reasonably priced taxi ride downtown whereas if it happens on the Dartmouth side you could be in for a long wait or pricier taxi ride to get back to the ship.

ummm maybe I read wrong - if the shopping is an "excursion" then it's the Tuesday.... ???

Yes, I was planning on Mic Mac for our second stop in Halifax which is a Tuesday. Thanks for the extra insight. Sunday I think we will just mosey around, walk over to Point Pleasant Park, Public Gardens, go to the Superstore for the Canadian chocolate I always bring back to my friends (and myself), etc. Can't wait to get into some cooler temps.

Yes, I was planning on Mic Mac for our second stop in Halifax which is a Tuesday. Thanks for the extra insight. Sunday I think we will just mosey around, walk over to Point Pleasant Park, Public Gardens, go to the Superstore for the Canadian chocolate I always bring back to my friends (and myself), etc. Can't wait to get into some cooler temps.

If you want variety in your chocolate snacks you might want to pick up the Halloween packs of minibars so you don't have to share as much of the big ones! You also might want to check in to the 2 drug stores on Spring Garden Road (Shoppers Drug Mart & Lawtons Drugs) enroute to the Public Gardens - prices will probably be a bit lower there and quite possibly on sale. (I find that Superstore waay overpriced... between the Westin guests, cruise ship pax and the rich south enders and students they have a 'captive' market and the prices reflect that!)

The drug stores will probably be busy - my friend (Pharmacist @ one of them) hates cruise ship days... they come in hoards for our OTC meds you can't get in the USA... and then there's this she posted on Facebook last weekend:

If I were vacationing on a cruise ship and I had the choice of seeing the doctor on the ship about a raw oozy rash on my inner thigh OR walking into a pharmacy in one of your port stops and dropping your pants below your A** so the pharmacist can have a look at the prescription counter....I know what I would choose...sad to report the lady I encountered today made a very different choice!

Please don't do this lol

I just looked up your cruise... $249 for the one following yours... $249!!! I can't get groceries and the power to cook the food for a week for $249 lol

If you want variety in your chocolate snacks you might want to pick up the Halloween packs of minibars so you don't have to share as much of the big ones! You also might want to check in to the 2 drug stores on Spring Garden Road (Shoppers Drug Mart & Lawtons Drugs) enroute to the Public Gardens - prices will probably be a bit lower there and quite possibly on sale. (I find that Superstore waay overpriced... between the Westin guests, cruise ship pax and the rich south enders and students they have a 'captive' market and the prices reflect that!)

I just looked up your cruise... $249 for the one following yours... $249!!! I can't get groceries and the power to cook the food for a week for $249 lol

Thanks for your suggestion. I am familiar with Lawtons Drugs and have bought chocolate there before. I just thought a grocery store would be less expensive. I'm glad you set me straight.

I can't believe that about the Oct. 19 cruise. The rate for both of our cruises (Oct. 5 and Oct. 12) has come down too, but it is a guarantee rate. We like to know up front where our room will be. :p

Since you haven't left yet hopefully you'll scratch the idea of the Clayton Park Shopping Center off your list. I actually had to google it to see if where you were talking was where I was thinking... Unless of course you have a deep desire to shop at a drug store, go to a gym, the bank, a dollar store thats closing out (hey 6 items for $5 a couple weeks ago!) etc...

Like others have said if you want to shop head to Halifax Shopping Center which has everything from a dollar store, Sears to the Apple Store and across the street Wallymart, grocery store, Winners (think TJMaxx/Marshalls)

http://halifaxshoppingcentre.com/find-a-store

It's a well known fact here in Halifax-Dartmouth "The HRM". That the Majority of People that live in Halifax don't like coming to Dartmouth. Whereas, us Dartmouth people have no problem going to Halifax for anything.

In regards to going to Halifax Shopping Centre vs Mic Mac Mall. If you take just the Bus (no Ferry ride). It's quicker to get to Mic Mac from Downtown Halifax. I just had a quick look at the Metro Transit Schedule and it confirmed this. Yes, if you take the Ferry across it will take longer, but it could only be by a few minutes (depending on the connections). Ferry is a neat way to get a short harbour tour at a very low price. Well, worth it IMO.

It's a well known fact here in Halifax-Dartmouth "The HRM". That the Majority of People that live in Halifax don't like coming to Dartmouth. Whereas, us Dartmouth people have no problem going to Halifax for anything.

In regards to going to Halifax Shopping Centre vs Mic Mac Mall. If you take just the Bus (no Ferry ride). It's quicker to get to Mic Mac from Downtown Halifax. I just had a quick look at the Metro Transit Schedule and it confirmed this. Yes, if you take the Ferry across it will take longer, but it could only be by a few minutes (depending on the connections). Ferry is a neat way to get a short harbour tour at a very low price. Well, worth it IMO.

If we take the ferry to Dartmouth (week-day), is there anything special to see or do there for a few hours besides shopping? If so, please give directions for getting there. Thanks.

When you come out of the Cruise Terminal turn left and follow Marginal Rd which is in front of you. Pass the docks along the waterfront to PP Park about 15-20mins depending on speed. It was repaved in the spring so is in good shape. As you have been here before you know to just ask if you think you're lost!!!

You could come back by Young Ave to Inglis and then Barrington to Westin Hotel and Cruise port behind.

Another Tour particularly nice at this time of year would be to Wolfville and Grand Pre and if interested stopping at some of the wineries. Grand Pre' has just been named World Heritage Site by UNESCO, site of the expulsion of the Acadians and the inspiration for Wordworths' poem Evangeline.

http://www.wolfville.ca/

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grandpre/index.aspx

www.luckettvineyards.com/

A tour to Wolfville and Grand Pre? Any other way to get there?

Archived