on board marina 9-4-12

Balliett

an elegant ship. I'll write a review at the end. Yesterday the captain announced that due to a tropical storm with 75mph winds in Scotland, we will skip planned tender stops at Lerwick and Invergordon. Oddly, when I looked at weather.com for edinburgh and inverness, no mention of storms in the five day forecast. So three seas days for us.

Regarding spa deck, weather has not permitted use. Also I can't see how they restrict spa deck use to concierge (me) or higher cabins. There is no need to use a key to get out there through a door near the fitness center.

I am watching the same storms as we are leaving from Newark to Lisbon on 9/11 in the evening around 8 arriving in Lisbon on 9/12 in the morning.

Looks like Hurricane Leslie will either be off the coast or on top of Nova Scotia on Tuesday, 9/11. 2 separate tracks are being shown now: the first takes it further east and not making landfall in the US, only over the very northeastern part of Canada. The second shows it landing further west over northeastern USA (Maine) or Nova Scotia. It is supposed to be a slow moving storm and is expected to pass over Bermuda on Sat/Sun. Hoping it will stay further east but only time will tell. I don't think the second tropical depression will affect us as it should stay further south until after we fly.

I have been told that provided it doesn't make landfall where you are landing, airlines will most likely fly around it or over the outer portions of it. This remains to be seen - I would continue to keep an eye on it. I think we will know more by Thursday.

Balliett,

Thanks for the posting as I have friends on your sailing and the last email posted from them they were telling about the storm and they would be missing 2 ports and will be in Belfast on the 7th. Glad you were able to go around it and had smooth sailing. Sorry you had to miss the ports. We were on a another cruise line doing the british isle and loved seeing Orkney Islands and northern Scotland. Has the internet gotten any better? It was horrible for her and when we were on our cruise it was very slow also?

Happy travels

Internet is not horrible, just variable. If not available in cabin, sometimes unplugging and restarting helps. Just like home. I can never watch any video clips. It's never fast enough. Also, I should have brought a mouse. My in-cabin laptop (free for concierge and above) has none. In summary, my 21.95 per day unlimited works like dialup at best and is unavailable all day in fjords and occasionally unavailable otherwise. But it's available ok right n

Archived