Tuxedo Rental

Poodlesnoot

I think you'll find most of that informationm the the big book of info they send you about 60 days in advance of your cruise. (or on the web site)

However, we looked at the economics of it, and decided to buy. If you only use the thing for cruises it will probably pay for itself.

Hi Poodlesnoot,

My husband rented one on our Caribbean Princess cruise last November. I believe he went to get measured two months prior to our sailing date.

The rental itself went very smooth and they were very helpful when placing the order. If I recall you can do it on-line but I chose to use the good old fashioned telephone when renting.

The tux was hanging right in the closet of our stateroom when we boarded. It was perfectly fine..........no complaints at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Jodster

If you take 2 cruises a year or just 2 cruises you will probably pay less than 2 rentals. There are great deals available from Mens Wharehouse and Sims and just the tuxedo companies are always selling off out oof rental sets.

If you take 2 cruises a year or just 2 cruises you will probably pay less than 2 rentals. There are great deals available from Mens Wharehouse and Sims and just the tuxedo companies are always selling off out oof rental sets.

Hi-

I pondered making a purchase for this same reason ( I think the break even point might be a bit higher than 2 cruises, but concur with the basic idea)--but I decided that: (1) it would be easier not to have to carry a tux, shirt, verst, etc with me; and (2) as I am in my mid 40's now, I am slowly seeing my weight creep up---so what I but today, may not fit in a year (ugh!); and (3) styles do change--width of lapels, degree of flare on trouser leg, etc., so what you buy today, may be a bit outdated in a few years. Anyway, it was very easy to do the rental--I didn't even get measured, just gave the company my measurments over the phone. Tux was in the stateroom when I arrived---pressed, clean, ready to go. I can certainly see why you might want to buy one, but if you choose to rent, Princess makes it very easy.

I used cruiselineformal in March on the Golden and would do it again in a heartbeat. It sure was nice to find the tux, two shirts, the shoes and all the accessories in the closet when we boarded and that's where I left it when we disembarked. No packing, no pressing, no lugging.

Can't beat that.

Mike

My husband usually rents one a few days before we sail. Be sure to try it on before the first formal night. Often they will be sized wrong or missing buttons, other than that they work out great. Saves room for me to bring more clothes too.:D

Laura

A classic black Tux NEVER goes out of style! The accoutrements do! You can always change the shirt, tie, cummerbund and/or vest if you like. As for the fear of weight gain, that's what Weight Watchers and South Beach is for! LOL. As a guy in my late 40's, I'm too well aquainted with that! One trick would be to buy the tux the next size up and have it taken in without the material cut. That way there is plenty of room to let it out when necessary.

rambill,

I'm in your corner. I need to loose a few pounds so I can fit into it :eek: and it is great motivation for loosing a few lbs. :)

I also agree that a basic black tux is always in style. In fact I got the shawl collar just to make certain I was "timeless". And personally, I enjoy having a couple of ties, and two sets of hardware. In fact, my favorite is a bright red tie with handkerchief, and red hardware to match. It always gets great comments (although I've taken to leaving the bright red bun at home and staying with the vest.)

Rent! :D No schlepping; we pack light. And the way I yo-yo up and down, I'd need to own 5 sizes of everything...

Bought my own fun hardware at Cuff Art, fun tie and cummerbunds on eBay and I'm set. Cruiseline formal has been perfect - except for last time when the pants were WAY too short, but were fixed/replaced before we even left FLL. (I tried them on as soon as they were delivered to the cabin; that's DW's contributing to formal night success!!)

Archived