Having reservations about using independent

elektrawmn

My husband and I will be in Belize Thanksgiving week. I have cruised many times before, yet I've never used an independent company for excursions.

Thanks so much for the CC members and their reviews and suggestions, we'd really like to book with dot com or VIV for our cave tubing. Prices are more than 50% off what NCL wants. Still having reservations though about getting back to the ship on time, etc. (I'm pretty OCD and neurotic when it comes to stuff like that)

Talk me in to it and tell me it's the better option! LOL

My upcoming cruise at the end of the month will only be my second cruise. My first cruise was on the Carnival Victory 2 years ago. We stopped in a port everyday. I booked with independent tour guides 5 out of the 6 days. The other day we stayed on the boat. We never had a problem with any of the independent tour guides and would highly recommend them. I learned about all of those tour guides here on the boards.

IMO, the tours that these independent tour guides provide, are their livelihood. This is how they make their money and support their families. They are not stupid and they know that if they want to survive, they need to provide a great tour. They realize we will go back to boards such as this one and will share our experiences.

Also, these tour guides are well versed in how the cruise ship works. There are well aware of the timing of the cruise ships and will make it a point to get you back in enough time before your ship sets sail.

Continue to do your homework. I read the roll calls of those going on the same cruise as I am the weeks before as well as weeks after. I also read the reviews of those who have been on the same cruise. I look to see which tour guides keep getting rave reviews over and over. I read what other liked and disliked about their tours. I have never read that someone missed their ship due to a bad tour guide.

Like you, I am also doing cave tubing in Belize. I am going with the .bz company. Vitalino has been very prompt in getting back to me with my questions. No, he is not as big as some of the other companies, however, his tour reminds me of the tour we took in St. Lucia (minus the cave tubing of course)(here is the tour in St. Lucia http://www.cosol-tours.com/ I highly recommend it).

However, I also looked at the other two tour guides you mentioned as well. Quite honestly, all 3 get good reviews on this board and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Have a great cruise.

My upcoming cruise at the end of the month will only be my second cruise. My first cruise was on the Carnival Victory 2 years ago. We stopped in a port everyday. I booked with independent tour guides 5 out of the 6 days. The other day we stayed on the boat. We never had a problem with any of the independent tour guides and would highly recommend them. I learned about all of those tour guides here on the boards.

IMO, the tours that these independent tour guides provide, are their livelihood. This is how they make their money and support their families. They are not stupid and they know that if they want to survive, they need to provide a great tour. They realize we will go back to boards such as this one and will share our experiences.

Also, these tour guides are well versed in how the cruise ship works. There are well aware of the timing of the cruise ships and will make it a point to get you back in enough time before your ship sets sail.

Continue to do your homework. I read the roll calls of those going on the same cruise as I am the weeks before as well as weeks after. I also read the reviews of those who have been on the same cruise. I look to see which tour guides keep getting rave reviews over and over. I read what other liked and disliked about their tours. I have never read that someone missed their ship due to a bad tour guide.

Like you, I am also doing cave tubing in Belize. I am going with the .bz company. Vitalino has been very prompt in getting back to me with my questions. No, he is not as big as some of the other companies, however, his tour reminds me of the tour we took in St. Lucia (minus the cave tubing of course)(here is the tour in St. Lucia http://www.cosol-tours.com/ I highly recommend it).

However, I also looked at the other two tour guides you mentioned as well. Quite honestly, all 3 get good reviews on this board and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Have a great cruise.

I did Cave tubbing w Vitalino!! hes the best!!

Not only are independent tours less costly but most times they are less crowded as well.

Remember that these guys make their living & earn their reputation by providing great service & returning you on time.

Look up the Coral Breeze Tours site to see what they offer.

We have snorkeled with Heni & her crew probably twice each year for about the last ten years & we just keep going back.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Archived