November Election Results

makentake

In 2008 we had the privilege of sailing HAL's Grand Asia Australia cruise on the Amsterdam -- 65 days. We left just before the bottom fell out of the economy. I used to turn on CNN in the middle of the night, without sound, to see how the Dow was doing -- DH thought I was nuts. We felt like the passengers from the movie "Ship of Fools" cruising in luxury while Hitler walked across Europe, or in our case while our economy "burned".

We found it, in general, a great pleasure not to have to listen to all the pre-election sniping and those awful negative ads. Too bad we can't do that this time around.

We had to vote absentee but we had to leave home before the ballots were printed in our area. A fellow CC member who was joining the cruise in Singapore volunteered to carry ballots for anyone who was in our situation to Singapore. So we had our ballots mailed to him and along with another CC member couple, we met him at his hotel first thing in the morning in Singapore where we marked our ballots.

The four of us then got in a cab and went to the American Embassy where after passing the most thorough security screening we have ever encountered--we were allowed in and were able to post them by having them placed in the Embassy's daily "packet" to the US.

On election day we were in Sydney. DH and I sat down to a late fish and chips lunch at a waterfront bar on Circular Quay. There was a large TV there, and we were the only customers there at that hour so we asked the waitress to turn on the TV so that we could watch the election returns. We were sitting at that restaurant in Australia when the election was declared.

We watched McCain's and Obama's speeches when we got back to our cabin on the Amsterdam.

This was my first time in any US embassy. This was the first time I had to vote absentee in a presidential election. It was probably the only time I will ever vote in Singapore. It was all such an incredible experience.

What a really interesting post.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Wonderful!

If any of you have watched the movie 'Breakfast Club' and laughed when the nerd/geek was asked why he faked a driver's license ID and he said "so I can vote", you have heard from me. I cannot imagine how anyone could NOT vote, or infinitely worse, not be interested in politics? I wouldn't miss this for the World, regardless of outcome. I love it! Humanity at it's bloody best!

I would never schedule a trip of any kind on Election day. Can't imagine it.

Doug

... I cannot imagine how anyone could NOT vote, or infinitely worse, not be interested in politics?

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frederic Bastiat

Voting and politics are nothing more or less than organized plunder. If it is wrong for me to steal from my neighbor, how does voting for someone to do it for me make it right?

Enjoy your cruise and don't vote.

We will cruising in Australia so the timing is great. When we wake up on the morning of November 7th, the polls will just be closing in the Eastern U.S. If current polls are correct, I suspect it will late in the evening, Australian time, before we know a winner.

Unless you plan on sleeping until noon, the polls will not be closing when you wake up.

I am not sure where in Australia you will be, but Australian Eastern Summer Time is 14 hours ahead of US Eastern Daylight Time. Though you are correct; I suspect it will be about 6pm Australia time before we have a final count.

Also a friendly heads up, just in case you are in Melbourne on Tuesday 6 November, Australia time, it is a public holiday -- Melbourne Cup Day. Most places will be open, but it will be busier than usual and everything may stop about 3 pm for the race. The public holiday is only for the state of Victoria; it's a normal Tuesday everywhere else in Australia.

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frederic Bastiat

Voting and politics are nothing more or less than organized plunder. If it is wrong for me to steal from my neighbor, how does voting for someone to do it for me make it right?

Enjoy your cruise and don't vote.

The usual nonsense in all contradiction with history. I, of course, hear such quotes all the time from a certain segment of the political spectrum. The 'government is evil', 'we' GIVE you your jobs', "they are all just jealous and want to live off you" ........ *yawn*

Historical facts are: we did not start crawling forward from hunter/gatherer life until we learned to organize; politics was the only method to avoid fighting to the death over all the same issues. Perhaps you think living to 33, scrambling to keep Mr Bigclub from taking your food and wife, dying of deficiency diseases etc is your 'Eden'. But I like a more full life of seeing the World [cruising, to wit], eating a good variety of foods, learning about EVERYTHING(!), and loving what I do. This only government could even make possible.

Yes, politics is a bloody mess. It's alternative is simply much worse! I love the human cleverness and open-mindedness [some folks, anyway] that created this unlikely idea [at the time] and I love our struggles to try to make it more useful.

But we always need the critics. They remind us why we need this mess anyway. Otherwise, we might even forget why and start going backwards into the choas. I like it here.

Doug

But we always need the critics. They remind us why we need this mess anyway. Otherwise, we might even forget why and start going backwards into the choas. I like it here.

Doug

And there are some of us who believe we've already started to slide backwards...

I can tell you the results right now. One of them "wins" and we all lose. Nothing changes. Enjoy your cruise!

^quoted for truth!

No matter if there is a D or an R behind the name of whomever wins, they only going to work for the folks who have at least 2 commas in the interest credit balance of their everyday money checking account that they never bother to balance.

Now enjoy your cruise!

Derek

Archived