Santorini Tours DIY or Tour company?

luv2travel3

Can folks give me some input - trying to decide if I use a Tour company to tour Santorini or do it on our own? We have never been there before. We plan on being there late November. The tours seem expensive so I was wondering if the tours are worth the money. We are active people and can get around very easily but do we see a lot more with a tour comapny? Also any input on how we can tour the island on our own. Thanks.

We were in Santorini last September. Its easy to get around on a quad or a rental car. In certain touristy areas there are quite a few people/cars on the roads but I dont know if that will be the case in November timeframe. The terrain isn't as hilly as in other islands like Mykonos so getting around is much easier here.

That said, we chose to take the tour because we wanted to completely relax at this last stopover in Greece.

We visited most of the villages mentioned below:

http://santorinitours.org/villages-of-santorini/

What I would also do is checkout Youtube videos of 'Giada in Greece'. She is a popular TV Chef in the US and had some excellent tips on where to dine and how to soak the sites in out there.

The other reason we chose the tour option was because he drove Giada's crew around in Greece during shooting.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

It is the most gorgeous place my wife and I have ever visited. I'm sure you will love it.

Thank you for your reply. Thanks for the link too. I can't wait to get there.

Biggreenfan - Not sure if we can handle the stress of driving in another place. The streets seem rather narrow. But will keep this option in mind.

Webensemble - what tour company did you choose? Looks like it is very doable on our own but we have a short time and want to make the most of it. agree with you a tour is rather stress free.

We're just back from a visit to Santorini and I think this is the perfect place to go on your own. The town of Oija (sp?) is the jewel of the island and that is where I think you would want to spend most of your time. On a tour you will be limited to how long you can spend there. We rented an AtV and had a ball. We drove the mostly deserted beach road to Oija and spent most of the day there taking photos around every beautiful turn. Driving the ATV was a snap but a rental car would certainly work too. The only thing you have to worry about is getting off the ship early enought to avoid delays at the cable car. Fortunately, we were first off the ship and had no delays and were on the road by 915. Others that came later complained of 45 minute waits. I have some good photos of the island, the cable car and the donkey trail that I will post shortly that may help get you oriented. Have fun....it's beautiful.

luv2travel3 - I chose the tour provided by Dimitris. His website is http://santorinitours.org/ His contact information is listed on the homepage towards the bottom.

I only researched different tours after reaching Santorini. For us fluency in English, familiarity with Greek/Santorini history (wife is a history buff) and the ability to customize tours for our needs was most important. Dimitris excelled in all these areas.

sunshinechgo - Yes, we picked the tour mentioned on the same site. In Santorini we didn't take a cruise but stayed over for a few days. Our tour was about 5 hours long and was more than enough to cover the island, do some shopping, have lunch, drink local wine and meet one of the famous local donkeys (wasn't too keen on riding the donkey).

In hindsight a cruise of the a few of the remaining Greek islands would've been a good idea. We chose to spend most of our time in Athens with a few days in Mykonos and Santorini. I guess the rest of the islands go on our cruise bucket list.

I just checked and the Giada video is listed on his website too. (You can also search for "Giada in Paradise, santorini" on Youtube)

Let me know if you guys need more information.

We're just back from a visit to Santorini and I think this is the perfect place to go on your own. The town of Oija (sp?) is the jewel of the island and that is where I think you would want to spend most of your time. On a tour you will be limited to how long you can spend there. We rented an AtV and had a ball. We drove the mostly deserted beach road to Oija and spent most of the day there taking photos around every beautiful turn. Driving the ATV was a snap but a rental car would certainly work too. The only thing you have to worry about is getting off the ship early enought to avoid delays at the cable car. Fortunately, we were first off the ship and had no delays and were on the road by 915. Others that came later complained of 45 minute waits. I have some good photos of the island, the cable car and the donkey trail that I will post shortly that may help get you oriented. Have fun....it's beautiful.

What is the "deserted beach road to Oija"? I'm hoping to rent a scooter or quad when we go next month and this sounds like a good tip. :)

VirtualRain.....there are only two roads that go to Oia....the main road and then the beach road which is on the western side of the island. You will get a map when you rent your vehicle and it will be obvious. It's quite a bit longer than the main road but is scenic and relatively traffic free.

We used NST tours in Santorini and went to Arkotiri..the newly re-opened

ruins there, and then to Oia and back. Our driver, Tomas, gave us plenty of time in Oia for eating and photos. Wonderful day and tour and VERY nice to know that we had a driver to make sure we got where we needed

to on time and returned on time. Tomas lives in Oia and knows his way around..besides..he is lots of fun!!

Enjoy this gorgeous place! Coming in at noon I would suggest having someone there to meet you as the bus can be iffy.

Sherry & Kimber

ruins there, and then to Oia and back. Our driver, Tomas, gave us plenty of time in Oia for eating and photos. Wonderful day and tour and VERY nice to know that we had a driver to make sure we got where we needed

to on time and returned on time. Tomas lives in Oia and knows his way around..besides..he is lots of fun!!

Enjoy this gorgeous place! Coming in at noon I would suggest having someone there to meet you as the bus can be iffy.

Sherry & Kimber

Thanks for the info. Would you care to share some info about your visit to Akrotiri?

• 2 weeks later...
We used NST tours in Santorini and went to Arkotiri..the newly re-opened ruins there.

Sherry & Kimber

Mexfolkart: I plan to be in Santorini in late November, and I hope to visit the Akrotiri Archaeological Site. How long did you spend at the site? Do you wish you had spent more time or less? I realize that you were with a guide, but were guides available at the Akrotiri site? I plan on getting around Santorini on my own, but I have read on these boards that a guide helps one understand Akrotiri.

Boreus, you may want to look at the official akrotiri web site, it may only be open until the end of October. http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh351.jsp?obj_id=2410

We 're hoping to get there next May, fingers crossed they open again. From the tripadvisor site it looked like they have tours every half hour for an extra 10 euro per person.

All the ship's excursions seemed ridiculously expensive, so we did DIY. Our ship was there 1pm-10pm, but the "last tender" was at 9pm.

There is a LOT to do and see on Santorini, so if you can get a an earlier tender ticket, do it. The line on my ship was VERY long for tickets, I ended up on tender #7 which got us off around 2:10ish.

The line for cable cars was being touted by the donkey operators as 1hr or 1.5hrs long but it took us 30mins to get through the line and to Fira.

Our group split, and the people I was with did shopping in Fira and then took buses to Oia (pronounced E-ah) later. We only had 2 hours or so in Oia and I wish I had much, much more. The big deal is there is the sunset, but due to the timing of the tenders we couldn't watch it :( We did have a fantastic meal at a restaurant called Lotza, and since the restaurant didn't have a view of the sunset it was much more affordable.

The other part of our group rented ATVs and went to see the red beach, a black beach, Oia, and then back to Fira for the sunset. They thought it was incredible too.

The island was pretty easy to figure out on your own, but if I could do it over I'd pick one thing to do and just do that. There is too much to do on Santorini to do it all in the short time provided by the cruise ships. You may as well enjoy the one thing you want to see :)

All the ship's excursions seemed ridiculously expensive, so we did DIY. Our ship was there 1pm-10pm, but the "last tender" was at 9pm.

There is a LOT to do and see on Santorini, so if you can get a an earlier tender ticket, do it. The line on my ship was VERY long for tickets, I ended up on tender #7 which got us off around 2:10ish.

The line for cable cars was being touted by the donkey operators as 1hr or 1.5hrs long but it took us 30mins to get through the line and to Fira.

e :)

Hi,

Glad you had a good time.

What time do they start giving out tender tickets and where do they give them out from? Which deck. I have read pool deck and from atrium. Did they let you off same time but different area as the ship excursions? Or do they relocate ship to tender off private tours? Thanks

Hi,

Glad you had a good time.

What time do they start giving out tender tickets and where do they give them out from? Which deck. I have read pool deck and from atrium. Did they let you off same time but different area as the ship excursions? Or do they relocate ship to tender off private tours? Thanks

It will vary depending on cruise ships. I was on the NCL Jade, and tender ticket distribution was advertised both at the show the night before and in the Freestyle Daily (newsletter) that was for the next day, but left in our room the night before Santorini.

On my ship, the distribution started at 9am (we arrived at 1pm that same day). Judging the line, people had probably been camping out since about 7am.

I'm fairly certain that those with excursion have "reserved" seats on various tenders, probably the earlier ones. The tenders all left the ship and Santorini from the same spots, as far as I know.

It will vary depending on cruise ships. I was on the NCL Jade, and tender ticket distribution was advertised both at the show the night before and in the Freestyle Daily (newsletter) that was for the next day, but left in our room the night before Santorini.

On my ship, the distribution started at 9am (we arrived at 1pm that same day). Judging the line, people had probably been camping out since about 7am.

I'm fairly certain that those with excursion have "reserved" seats on various tenders, probably the earlier ones. The tenders all left the ship and Santorini from the same spots, as far as I know.

I will be on the jade this Saturday. So will be in atrium? Early with cup of coffee on line. Thank you for the info. I believe I will be able to pick up tender tickets for our group. Thank you also for the info on the bees in Corfu.

I will be on the jade this Saturday. So will be in atrium? Early with cup of coffee on line. Thank you for the info. I believe I will be able to pick up tender tickets for our group. Thank you also for the info on the bees in Corfu.

Our distribution was on the Pool Deck. But check the Freestyle Daily left in your room the night before to make sure of the location.

Regarding the bees in Corfu-- I about died when we got out of the car at our first viewing point. It was a challenge to get back IN the car without letting any bees inside. Luckily they were rather small, but nonetheless frightening for me.

Sherry & Kimber

We used this company too. What we did was not really a 'tour', more transportation between the various sites. We had 16 people from our role call and the cost for the trip was about $16pp.

The driver did do commentary along the way, but did not guide us at the sites. We visited Akotiri--this was in April just after it reopened--and while I'm glad I saw it, I was underwhelmed. There is little signage nor a booklet to explain what you are seeing. It's quite large and confusing.

We had about 3 hours in Oia and our driver made a special stop so that we could watch the sunset on the way back. We were in Santorini from 2-10.

I think this port would be easy to do on your own, but it was great to be picked up and taken where we wanted for a reasonable price. No hassles at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Our group of 12 ladies had a very disappointing tour with Pelican Travel. We were in our 60's and 70's and were not taken to the places shown on their website. Instead we spent 1 1/2 hours hiking up a steep hill to see a vista that could have been seen from the road and to visit a church that was closed. We asked to be brought back to Fira to watch the sunset but the tour guide insisted we had plenty of time in Oia, which we didn't and thus missed out entirely. The bus driver smoked on the bus while we were off sightseeing and stood back and watched while we tried to get off the mini-bus that had a very big drop from the last step to the ground. One lady almost fell. We missed the black sand beach and a visit to the winery that was advertised.

I was in Santorini last month. This is port that you can do yourself. The key is to get on the ship tender as early as possible Once on the dock there are two companies that take you to Oia. We took a 12 min speed boat to Oia. They then take you on a beautiful short ride by bus to the center of town . You then can wander around the beautiful town. You can also take a free bus to a winery. When you are ready to return to Fira, you take a bus that they provide. You can either shop,eat lunch in town or return by cable car back to the port for a tender to your ship. The cost was 21 euro per person.:)

Archived