Heathrow 12hr layover plan

didicruiser

Do you think that this plan will work? I arrive into Terminal 5 and will have a 12 hour layover before flying out of Terminal 3. I was going to leave my luggage at Terminal 3, then take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then enjoy the HOHO bus. I am not sure where I will eventually end up but I am comfortable taking transportation back to the airport. Hoping a friendly Londoner will tell me the way ;). How does this sound? Any suggestions or improvements? Thanks in advance!k

Do you think that this plan will work? I arrive into Terminal 5 and will have a 12 hour layover before flying out of Terminal 3. I was going to leave my luggage at Terminal 3, then take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then enjoy the HOHO bus. I am not sure where I will eventually end up but I am comfortable taking transportation back to the airport. Hoping a friendly Londoner will tell me the way ;). How does this sound? Any suggestions or improvements? Thanks in advance!k

You might want to buy a day pass to the lounge from the airline your flying with .

By the time you clear customs and get to terminal 3 .You might just want to rest away from the masses.

That's a great idea. DH will want to get to the airport 4hrs early lol

After flying for 8-10 from the west coast , I would just like to find a quiet spot to rest instead of going touring .

After flying for 8-10 from the west coast , I would just like to find a quiet spot to rest instead of going touring .

We actually will be getting off a 3 hr flight from Russia and will then fly to US early evening. We have never been to London and want to get a "taste". We should have plenty of energy. But when we get back home..................:eek:

From your 12 hours, deduct 60 - 90 minutes to clear airport formalities & deposit your bags after your incoming flight, 30 mins (Heathrow Express) into central London, and the same plus 30 mins to return to the airport & collect your bags and get to T5. Add an extra 45mins wiggleroom, and check-in 90 mins to 2 hours ahead of your flight time.

According to my maths you'll have potentially 6 to 8 hours in central London, which is longer than folk get on a ship's excursion from Southampton, & plenty of time for a ho-ho tour (about 2hrs 15mins) plus an inside visit or two and some chill-out/lunch/people-watching time.

Whether you'll want to do so between flights is up to you & will depend on your mood & enthusiasm, the weather, and whether your flights are disrupted. But there's no need to make a decision before you arrive - buying tickets in advance over the internet for the Heathrow Express would save just £1 on a £19 (single) ticket bought at the station, & the savings on an advance ho-ho ticket are just a few pounds.

Instead of the Heathrow Express, the tube (the London Underground) from Heathrow is only about £7 e/w direct to Hyde Park Corner (a convenient ho-ho stop), easy without luggage, but takes mebbe 20 mins longer than the Heathrow Express.

Even if you take the Heathrow Express into London, you might find it easier to take the tube back - from any of London's dozens of tube stations - rather than returning to Paddington for the Heathrow Ezpress.

JB :)

Both the Heathrow Express & the tube operate from all of Heathrow's terminals.

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

http://www.tubemaplondon.org/

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=

Hello Didi and fellow Long Islander. Where about on Long Island are from??

I'm in West Hempstead.

First a couple of questions---are you doing a cruise?? Just vacationing??

Anyway, John had given you some excellent advice. With an 6-8 hour window, you can get a quick view of this wonderful city. The HoHo buses are the way to go. There are two different ones, and either will give you a decent look at London in about 2 1/2-3 hours. With that in mind, you will still have a few opportunities to get off, wander around, and then catch one of the following buses to continue your tour.

I would forget trying to see places like the Tower of London and any other place you would have to pay to get in. I would get off at say Big Ben, and wander around that area, You are in very close proximity of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, and not too far from St Paul's Cathedral. Grab some good pix and be on your way again. If you use the Original Bus tour, they also give you a free 1/2 hour cruise on the Thames, which would be a wonderful addition to your day. You can catch it by the London Eye and take it to the Tower Bridge and then re board the HoHo bus.

anyway, just a few suggestions. If you have any questions, give a holler, neighbor.

Cheers

Len

I think it is a good plan. The last thing I would want to do is sit in the airport for 8 hours before an overseas flight.

It looks like you plan to get back to the airport in plenty of time. As previous poster has said, keep in mind that the HOHO bus can take hours for the entire route and if you find yourself too far from Paddington (I would not buy a round trip ticket), then have tube maps to get back to the airport. As you've said, you can always take a taxi back.

Archived