Stuck with Eastern . . .

Humph.

I just booked Mariner of the Seas, and I had to take the Eastern route instead of the Western. Don't get me wrong -- I'm thrilled that we're going on the cruise, and I got the cabin I wanted (1688). I'm really not complaining. But the week we chose was, by far, the best time for us to vacation, so I had to take the Eastern.

So . . . help me cheer up. I was really excited about shore excursions for the Western, and nothing jumps out at me for Nassau, St. Thomas, or St. Maarten. Some details about us:

We're a family with two daughters, ages 9 and 12.

Because we dislike crowds, we prefer non-ship excursions.

Because we'll have three "at sea" days, we want to plan something for each stop.

We've already done the dolphin excursion on a previous cruise, and I don't think we'll repeat that (because of cost).

We'd like to do one beach-day -- which island is best?

Atlantis looks like a possibility for Nassau.

We wanted to do the jeep-through-the-jungle thing in Cozumel -- anything similar on one of these islands?

Shopping doesn't rank high on our list of "must dos". We could literally come home with no souveniers and be perfectly happy.

Thanks in advance. And no lectures, please, on any-cruise-is-better-than-work. I know that, and I'll soon get over my initial Eastern disappointment. But I'll get over it more quickly if y'all can suggest some exciting stuff on the Eastern!

I'll keep it brief because I don't have any recommendations, but I do have to say that we have done 3 cruises in the past, 2 western and 1 eastern. The eastern was by far my favorite. I really enjoyed the ports and I think you will also.

Interestingly, I was actually looking to do the southern caribbean, but had to go with eastern for 10/6 even though I did the same itinerary on the same ship last September. I got over it pretty quickly :D and now in excited mode. We too prefer going on our own...don't do the ship excursions.

St. Martin - by far my favorite island. We usually head to Grand Case Beach Club and use their beach, head out to Creole Rock for snorkeling and have a wonderful french lunch in their outdoor restaurant. We also try to get to Bounty (I believe that's the name) right in Grand Case...a wonderful french grocer where we pick up cheeses and breads for back on the ship. I could also suggest Orient Beach...much more lively, crowded with a party atmosphere. A stop in Marigot, the French capital, would be nice if you're landing on one of the two days they have their outdoor market. There's also many wonderful outdoor cafes on the waterfront. I hear the America Regatta is a blast....yacht racing where you can be part of the crew and do as little or much as you like.

St. Thomas - many head to Red Hook to catch the ferry to Trunk Bay on St. Johns. The snorkeling is supposed to be amazing. That's where we'll be heading on our trip. Our last trip, we went to Sapphire Beach and had a great day split between the ocean and the pool at the Sapphire Beach Resort.

San Juan - I need some help on this one as well. I was not impressed with this port of call and plan on looking further into what there is to do. I heard the rain forest is fun, but not too informed on this stop

Nassua - have to say that I wish we were going to Freeport...great snorkeling at Paradise Cove. I'm not interested in spending the day at Atlantis, although others seem to love it. Do not like Cable Beach...hotel after hotel...pretty generic stuff. Hoping to use Sea Island Adventures to go to Rose Isand for coral reef snorkeling. Can rent kyaks, paddleboats, floats, etc. Also beach volleyball and other beach games.

Hope this helps...have a great trip.;)

You can easily go to St. John from St. Thomas and snorkel the underwater trail at Trunk Bay. If that isn't an option, there are several nice beaches and Coral World on St. Thomas. :)

these are several fun things I could suggest. St. Maarten has some beautiful beaches. DH and I have actually gone to the one right there in town and found it to be lovely. We took the water taxi over to town and walked over to the beach. We rented a couple of lounge chairs and parked for the afternoon and just spent a very relaxing day in the water and on the shore. there are also lots of resturants and snack bar type areas to get a sandwich and drink. There were lots of other beaches that you could take excursions to but this was close, convenient and also very enjoyable plus. we could come and go as we pleased.

St thomas has Megans bay which is beautiful. We went there swimming one afternoon and it was very enjoyable. It is ranked as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Although I don't know about that, it was certainly a beautiful beach and an enjoyable afternoon of swimming. Coral world was also quite neat at St thomas and we sent home post cards from the underwater post office. Have fun. Maybe an internet search of each stop would also give you some ideas.

Mrs Pete, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Eastern at all.I personally love it much better than Western. Yes, Atlantis is probably your best bet in Nassau,it's gorgeous,and the aquarium under the hotel is interesting. Your girls may enjoy a horse and carrage ride,that you can get downtown.It only lasts about 15 to 20 minutes. St Thomas,there is an arial tramway that goes up the mountainside,and shouldn't be missed.Spectacular view of the island and Megan's Bay from the top. Megan's Bay itself,is a gorgeous beach,or you can take the ferry over to St John's(about a 45 min trip,each way) and go to Trunk Bay on St John's.One of the 10 best beaches in the world. St Thomas also has Coral World. The girls would probably love that. Another aquariam,where they feed the fish and stingrays right in front of you.They also pick up baby sharks and let you pet them. Caution the girls to pet away from the mouth tho.I saw a teenager,reach out to a shark right at the mouth. No way Jose,those teeth are mighty sharp and can take a finger or two in a nanosecond. Can't tell you much about St Maarten,as we only took an island tour and shopped there. I'm sure someone else can give you a heads up on St Maarten. Check out the ports on line for yourself. You can learn a wealth of information there.All the planning is half the fun. I know you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Humph.

I just booked Mariner of the Seas, and I had to take the Eastern route instead of the Western. Don't get me wrong -- I'm thrilled that we're going on the cruise, and I got the cabin I wanted (1688). I'm really not complaining. But the week we chose was, by far, the best time for us to vacation, so I had to take the Eastern.

So . . . help me cheer up. I was really excited about shore excursions for the Western, and nothing jumps out at me for Nassau, St. Thomas, or St. Maarten. Some details about us:

We're a family with two daughters, ages 9 and 12.

Because we dislike crowds, we prefer non-ship excursions.

Because we'll have three "at sea" days, we want to plan something for each stop.

We've already done the dolphin excursion on a previous cruise, and I don't think we'll repeat that (because of cost).

We'd like to do one beach-day -- which island is best?

Atlantis looks like a possibility for Nassau.

We wanted to do the jeep-through-the-jungle thing in Cozumel -- anything similar on one of these islands?

Shopping doesn't rank high on our list of "must dos". We could literally come home with no souveniers and be perfectly happy.

Thanks in advance. And no lectures, please, on any-cruise-is-better-than-work. I know that, and I'll soon get over my initial Eastern disappointment. But I'll get over it more quickly if y'all can suggest some exciting stuff on the Eastern!

I think you'll be surprised at how much better you like the eastern. Let us know when you get back!!:)

Magens Bay in St. Thomas was voted in the Top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. The water is very calm and looks like glass. And St. Maarten has beautiful Orient Beach, where the water has some decent waves and you can do parasailing, waverunners, etc. I much prefer Eastern over Western!

We went with our two kids(10 and 12) very early in the morning, $3 each

for a cab ride. It was gorgeous and there was only one other couple there

with us. Ship passengers didn't show up till around 10am. Our kids really

enjoyed Paradise Point too, great views.

Atlantis should be seen once by everyone. It is VERY expensive though.

If you go there for the day I don't think you can use the pools and water

slides.

I've heard good things about Paradise Beach in Cozumel, so we're

checking it out on our December cruise.

Have a great trip!

I just got off the Mariner on the Eastern route 5/01. Was on the Voyager on the Western. I would have preffered another stop, but enjoyed the Eastern more than the Western.

St. Thomas - I have to reccomend the Godfrey Tour. email for reservations at godfrey@godfreytoursvi.com he will return your email within 2 or 3 days. You can arrange to have him pick you up at the pier in the morning 9 or 10am, he will drop you off in town for some shopping. Then you go to the top of the mountain, above the "ski lift" thing, with some photo ops along the way. Then he will drop you off at your choice of Mageans Bay, Coki Beach, or Sapphire Beach, or you can just go back to the ship from there. Great tour guide, and all of this for only $20 if you do the beach, I think its even cheaper if you dont go to the beach. Also heard from our table mates that the Turtle Beach sail and snorkel was outstanding, and not crowded.

St. Martin/St. Maarten - Orient beach (French side) was beautiful, lots of surf on the day we were there tons of fun, it was only $6 pp for a cab to orient. And of course, the water taxi from the pier to Phillipsburg (Dutch side) was $5 for the day. There is also a beach in front of the city, very nice also, much calmer waters for relaxing.

You didn't say when your cruise is, because I read where they won't be going to Nassau starting in November. They will be going to Coco Cay instead.

St. Maarten:

We have booked an excursion on a square rigger for the day called the Lord Sheffield. This isn't thru the cruise line and currently it was costing $50, included food and beverages. They BBQ on the stern of the ship.

St. Thomas

Like others, a trip to St Johns is good. Also Coral World and Coki Beach are real nice. Coral World has some nice under water activities and Coki is a great beach.

Also a snorkle trip to Turtle Cove is supposedly good. Haven't done it so I can't be sure.

Dave

If it makes you feel any better, I much prefer the Eastern to the Western. The Southern is the best, especially if it includes Aruba, but we loved St. Thomas and St Maartan. The Western that usually includes Bahamas just sucks. However, I am booked on a western cruise in June. Like you said any vacation is great especially if it is a cruise. We took western again because it is the only ship going out of Baltimore this year. This way we don't have to fly. You will have a great time.

I second (or third ? ;) ) the opinion that Eastern route is much better than Western.

Western islands are too flat ... Eastern are just beautiful!:)

I have done both itineraries (Eastern - 2, Western - 1 and one coming up in September 2005).

I actually enjoy both Eastern and Western. I don't really care for the destination as long as I am cruising thats all that matters.

I definately have to vote for Godfrey tours. He is a great guy and if you book his excursion, make sure you request him as your driver. We never laughed so hard. He takes you shopping and when the locals would ask if we needed a cab we would just say we are with Godfrey and everybody would say the same thing - what a wonderful person he is and so he is.

As for the shopping, again, don't have a preference as long as I am shopping in the caribbean is fine with me.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

I am taking my first eastern cruise on the Mariner in Sept. But I have been to all the ports on land vacations. I agree with all on the boards that Atlantis in Nassau is your best bet. If the girls are comfortable in the water, you should find a way to snorkle or sail or something in St. Thomas. There are a slew of day sails available and being on and in the water is simply wonderful in St. Thomas and even better in St. John and the BVI. And Paradise Point is definitely worth the trip. In St. Maarten it was the beaches that I loved. Each one has it's own appeal and you'll find one that has just what you are looking for.

I second (or third ? ;) ) the opinion that Eastern route is much better than Western.

Western islands are too flat ... Eastern are just beautiful!:)

I agree 100%. We've done 2 Westerns and the only thing I absolutely adore on the Western is Stingray City - other than that, I'd rather be Eastern 100% of the time.

We did a private daysail in St. Thomas/St. John (kids were 5 & 7) and it was wonderful - sailed to St. John and snorkeled + had lunch prepared on the sailboat. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL islands

In St. Maarten, Dh and I left he kids on the ship (DCL all 3 times thus far) and went to Orient Beach. The beach is wonderful and I would return w/kids but stay to the left (when facing the water) if nudity bothers you. TONS of places to eat/drink too. We also shopped downtown and there were some great deals.

We haven't done Nassau but from what I've heard, I'm not excited about it and will probably enjoy the peace and quiet on the ship instead!

I'm booked for the Eastern in April 2006. I forget which island, but one has a rainforest treetop adventure if you're adventerous. Ziplines, ladders, trapezes all in the treetops. Sounds cool.....My husband and I will be 40 and we are going to try it!!

FYI - they drive on the wrong side of the road in St. Thomas, dh almost got hit by a car. St.Thomas was so beautiful though I had to buy a calendar so I can enjoy the scenery for a whole year:)

In St. Maarten we took a taxi about 10 minutes out of town & rented waverunners, then when we got back into town found a rental place there, but it was less crowded where we were.

In St. Thomas, we went to St. John on our own and spent the day at Trunk Bay. Loved it!

In St. Martin, we rented an open air jeep at the dock and just cruised around the island stopping at various beaches and touristy areas. We spent several hours playing with all the water toys at Orient Beach and then moved on for a French lunch, etc.

Mrs. Pete,

Are you putting all four of you in that one cabin 1688? Or did you get an inside across the hall for the children? We have cabin 1388 and it is just the two of us. We put our kids across the hall b/c we thought it would be way too crowded in a D1.

I'm curious to know if 4 can work in that one cabin.

ciship

Archived