Norwegian Pearl versus Jewel

Cruisenmike711

Hi there!

Recently back from a fantastic cruise on the Star and am beginning to think of where to go next! We're thinking Alaska! I was thinking about planning one for my wife's birthday next September. Does anyone have any input/feedback on the pearl versus the jewel and whether this is a good time of year to go?

Thanks!

Pearl goes to Glacier Bay and is generally favored by the folks here on the board. I went on the Jewel and had an awesome time last month (my review with pictures is in my signature). They are sister ships with only minor differences. Pearl has a climbing wall and a bowling alley, but I think otherwise they're the same.

September 22nd is the last trip of the season. It's pretty late in the year, and it gets chillier and the days much shorter. I think you would be better off going earlier in the season if you can swing it, to be honest. One benefit of September, however, is that it tends to be cheaper. Also, fewer kids because they're back in school, and I understand the fall foliage is beautiful.

We couldn't decide, either, so we chose the Sun on a one-way from Vancouver to Whittier that hits Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I know it'll be early in the season (May), but we have to work around DW's school schedule (she's a teacher). We really like the idea of going to Hubbard Glacier after seeing images and YouTube videos of it. The price was definitely right, enough of a difference to pay for the additional airfare to fly home from Anchorage.

*edit* - it looks like the one-way in September leaves Whittier on September 2, then the ship does a round-trip Vancouver trip on September 9, which is the last of the season.

We've done both. Both ships are excellent and similar. I agree with sdmike though. For the first one, I'd choose the Pearl for Glacier Bay, although the Jewel's glacier trip was outstanding also. Also, as Mike said, I would recommend early in the season. The much longer daylight hours will give you so much more time to view the scenery...which is what it's all about.

The Jewel has karaoke booths and an enclosed concierge lounge that overlooks the pool.

(I'm hoping the karaoke booth contains my 7 year old singing her heart out, and enough room to capture that moment to be replayed for the teen dating years. ;) )

The Jewel has karaoke booths and an enclosed concierge lounge that overlooks the pool.

(I'm hoping the karaoke booth contains my 7 year old singing her heart out, and enough room to capture that moment to be replayed for the teen dating years. ;) )

We tried one of those booths this year. My two 8 year olds loved singing their hearts out. And we never had trouble getting a room.

OP - I would look at port times & what you would like to do in each port. See which set of port times accomodates what you want to see and/or do. And then look at the Glaciers and decide where they are in importance to your trip.

We did both, and personally we were more impressed with Glacier Bay (Pearl) but enjoyed more time in Victoria (Jewel). So which one fits for you might depend on what you want most on this trip.

Either way - have a great time!

Hi there!

Recently back from a fantastic cruise on the Star and am beginning to think of where to go next! We're thinking Alaska! I was thinking about planning one for my wife's birthday next September. Does anyone have any input/feedback on the pearl versus the jewel and whether this is a good time of year to go?

Thanks!

DW was on Pearl in Sept 09 and DW and I went in May of this year on the Jewel. Differences in the ships are only minor. Given your ability to go in September, I recommend looking at the itineraries and focusing on the times in port. Arriving and spending most of the port time in daylight is a plus (generally). Yes, days are longer in May than Septtember. My next trip to Alaska will probably be in mid season (July/Aug) so I can see additional wildlife and am considering going further North on the Sun. Regardless of which ship you choose, I believe you will love your Alaska cruise. Given the scenery, and excellent shore excursions, the ships amenities take a back seat to the Alaska experience itself.

Alaska is one of those itineraries where it should be more about the ports. Both ships are great with only slight differences. But choose where you want to go (and as another poster mentioned, look at the amount of time in each port) and book that cruise.

Archived