Beijing-Terra Cotta Warriors Cruisetour

JimC

Has anyone taken the Princess Cruisetour visiting Beijing and Xian? I have some questions concerning what we need to bring to wear.

When you fly from Beijing to Xian, do you bring all your luggage with you are is it left at the hotel in Beijing? There is a dinner and show at the Tang Palace Dinner Restaurant. Do men need a sportcoat for this? How dressy is it?

In Beijing, there is a banquet "hosted in your honor". Do I need a sportcoat for that?

The cruise itself necessitates my bringing only a dark suit plus Dockers and polo shirts for the nights onboard the ship. I am hoping to avoid having to pack a sportcoat as well so am trying to determine if I will need one for either of these functions in Xian or Beijing.

Thanks for any advice.

I haven't been on the Princess tour, but have been to various sites and shows in Beijing and Xian. Never had to wear a jacket to go to any of the special dinners. I believe we went to a dumpling banquet in Xian before going to the Tang Dynasty show--very colorful show and the dumpling banquet is unique. There is so much to see in Beijing that it is very frustrating doing a short tour; we went back to the Forbidden City on our free day and realized that our tour had bypassed the whole central area in order to go to the Dowager's apartment. We were at the Great Wall in April and the weapons ports acted like tunnels shooting bitter cold air at us, but is a sight we will never forget.

Have a great trip.

There is a dinner and show at the Tang Palace Dinner Restaurant. Do men need a sportcoat for this? How dressy is it?

In Beijing, there is a banquet "hosted in your honor". Do I need a sportcoat for that?

I have been to both the Terra cotta soldiers and to dinner shows when I was studying in China about 3 years ago. I have not been with the princess tour though. I will tell you everything there was VERY casual. We saw many groups (one could have been a princess tour) while we traveled. They were all casually conservatively dressed. Most people at the dinner shows were in longer shorts or casual pants and tee shirts or polos. I would say they looked like they came off the bus staight from a day of touring.

I have taken the Xian/Beijing cruise tour and you do need something dressy for the dinner at the palace. We didn't realize how special that evening was and were underdressed and felt very out of place. A sport coat and tie would definitely NOT be too dressy for that.

When you go to Xian you just take an overnight bag with you..not all of your luggage. It was as absolutely fascinating cruise tour..we just loved it.

Crowsie, so did most everyone on the tour "dress up" with a sportcoat (for men) for the palace dinner? I just have no other need for a sportcoat and our luggage will be close on weight as it is. If at least 1/3 rd of the men didn't have sportcoats, then I pass on it too.

I'm going to bring a zip up jacket for warmth while touring, but it's just that- nothing I'd wear to a dinner.

Hi Jim...we are taking this cruise tour in June and got docs. today only 44 pounds per person not per bag... so 6 days of stuff--chargers ,camaras, phone,meds-personal stuff.....check out the web site for Tang Palace Rest....http://www.xiantangdynasty.com/.....the pictures of everyone there show they are dressed very casual in jogging suits...and for the banquet at the Beijing Hotel it clearly states resort casual..hope this helps...Have a good trip....Anne.

Thanks Gorka !!! That answers my questions perfectly. I wasn't aware that the banquet in Beijing is at the Beijing Hotel. That is where we will be staying during the Beijing portion of the Cruisetour.

Did your documents give you any information about the size and weight of carryons for the flight between Beijing and Xian? We would like to just take a carryon if we can and leave the larger bags at the Beijing Hotel.

Thanks again

Jim

Hi Jim....itinerary states "If you are flying within China as part of your cruisetour, the maximum weight of checked luggage is 44 pounds per person, not per bag. Weight over 44 pounds may be subject to the excess charges, which you willneed to pay. These rates vary by carrier and can be as high as 4 USD per pound. For this cruisetour, you are allowed to bring 44 pounds of luggage during the Xian, Yangtze River and Wuhan segments of your tour. Any excess luggage will remain in your Beijing Hotel where you will be reunited with it when you return." Anne.

I guess it doesn't mention anything about carryon bags.

I looked at the photo at the Tang Dynasty banquet in Xian. Indeed there is even a couple in blue jeans. Sounds good. We'll just wear some black or tan jeans for the two days and just bring a change of underwear and toiletries to Xian.

There are a number of us going on almost the same itinerary as you on the Diamond in October. We have been trying to get more detailed opinions about specific shore excursions (good ones and bad ones) and the Beijing/Xian Cruisetour. When you return could you post some information on this message board under a heading such as "Beijing-Bangkok June 2005" so we all can ask you questions. I'd appreciate an e-mail at jamesc5982@aol.com so I can pick your brain !!

Thanks, Anne.

Jim

OK..Not a word about carryon bags....we leave Beijing on a jet the 18th to Xian...then on the 19th jet from Xian to Chongqing to board river boat...then on the 22nd motorcoach Yichang to Wuhan ...then on the 23rd fly from Wuhan back to Beijing...overnight in Beijing and at last board Pacific Princess on June 24th.....so its a total of 5 nights on the tour outside of Beijing. Hope this helps. Anne.

Jim, Sorry I just realized that your thread is Terra Cotta Warriors Cruisetour....ours is the Terra Cotta Warriors and Yangze River Voyage ..but glad to help with anything. Anne.

Just a couple of thoughts to add, having done the Great Wall portion in April:

The show at the Beijing International Hotel that Princess/China Tourism sponsors is fabulous. If you're a photo fanatic, be ready. The small (4- 7 years old) children perform amazingly and then they come down in the audience for a few minutes for pictures and hugs. There's an wonderful orchestra, a few opera songs, and a few cultural numbers.

There was a stir amongst the TCWs group because they hadn't realized they were going to be surrendering their rooms during their absence and that they'd also have to be preparing their remaining luggage for stowage while they were gone.

If anyone else who reads this had really wanted to combine the two offerings (GW & TCWs) commonly shown by Princess, please know that it is also an available option. Many in our group were not made aware of this beforehand

Archived