TA question!

Rahway742

OK so heres the thing! When I was looking at cruises I posted a question or something on NCL's facebook page and this TA responded to it. She was located near me. So I kept looking for cruises because the other cruise i wanted didn't work out and she kept sending me cruise deals that were offered through her company site and then i found this cruise(NCL jewel march 24-31,2013 to Bahamas) and I told her and she said it was 549 for an inside stateroom which was the same price elsewhere plus an obc and bottle of champagne so I was interested! I then asked her about fees/charges and she said there were none :eek: which made me skeptical about it and as well my mom who was using her card to pay for the cruise. I would pay her back. So my mom said to book using the other site which is one of the major airlines who recently merged which i did because its more trusted and I didn't know the TA and it was weird that there were no charges for helping book a cruise! However i felt bad because I had to lie to the TA and tell her we couldn't do the cruise! So that she wouldn't feel bad about not trusting her or etc! Here's the question? does this scenario sound weird or is this normal and there are no fees for being a TA? if there's no fee how do they make money? thanks for all the info ahead of time

OK so heres the thing! When I was looking at cruises I posted a question or something on NCL's facebook page and this TA responded to it. She was located near me. So I kept looking for cruises because the other cruise i wanted didn't work out and she kept sending me cruise deals that were offered through her company site and then i found this cruise(NCL jewel march 24-31,2013 to Bahamas) and I told her and she said it was 549 for an inside stateroom which was the same price elsewhere plus an obc and bottle of champagne so I was interested! I then asked her about fees/charges and she said there were none :eek: which made me skeptical about it and as well my mom who was using her card to pay for the cruise. I would pay her back. So my mom said to book using the other site which is one of the major airlines who recently merged which i did because its more trusted and I didn't know the TA and it was weird that there were no charges for helping book a cruise! However i felt bad because I had to lie to the TA and tell her we couldn't do the cruise! So that she wouldn't feel bad about not trusting her or etc! Here's the question? does this scenario sound weird or is this normal and there are no fees for being a TA? if there's no fee how do they make money? thanks for all the info ahead of time

There are no fees with most travel agents.

They get paid commission by the cruise lines.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came across this last week in Travel+Leisure and thought it was appropriate to pass along on this thread.

Question: I'm booking a cruise and am overwhelmed by all the options. Where will I find the best rate - through a travel agent or online?

Answer: Book through an agent. Cruise lines are strict about keeping pricing consistent across the board.

Agents can offer insight and advice that a website cannot. The best of them will be familiar with the features and quirks of a ship, will tell you if upgrades are available later and may get you access to onboard welcome parties.

In general you are not going to pay more to book through an agent.

While it sounds like you may have done this TA a disservice, that is the nature of the beast in this business.

There are many times people ask for advice, best price, best ship, etc, but then take that info and either book direct or with someone else.

You have two options, either cancel and rebook with the TA who helped you, or keep her info in mind for future cruises. Either way, you're not the first person who has done this and you certainly won't be the last.

ah ok good to know! next time i will book with her i will hopefully be on another cruise soon! cuz i know i went to one before and they wanted to charge me for their services so i was like no thanks so i just assumed all of them were like this! sorry to all TA's for doing this

There are no fees with most travel agents.

They get paid commission by the cruise lines.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i had actually been doing research on my own and had posted something about a sale or something on the facebook page for NCL and she responded so then i kept looking for cheap cruises and i had asked her about the spring break cruise i found and whether she thought the prices would go up or not. i had not done this intentionally, i just didnt want to come off rude because it seemed a bit iffy so i was just being safe and i wanted to book before the prices went up so i booked that day and i wouldnt have had time to wait for a response from these boards as the prices went up the next day :D but next time i will definitely book through her. cuz she was really nice and helpful

While it sounds like you may have done this TA a disservice, that is the nature of the beast in this business.

There are many times people ask for advice, best price, best ship, etc, but then take that info and either book direct or with someone else.

You have two options, either cancel and rebook with the TA who helped you, or keep her info in mind for future cruises. Either way, you're not the first person who has done this and you certainly won't be the last.

i had actually been doing research on my own and had posted something about a sale or something on the facebook page for NCL and she responded so then i kept looking for cheap cruises and i had asked her about the spring break cruise i found and whether she thought the prices would go up or not. i had not done this intentionally, i just didnt want to come off rude because it seemed a bit iffy so i was just being safe and i wanted to book before the prices went up so i booked that day and i wouldnt have had time to wait for a response from these boards as the prices went up the next day :D but next time i will definitely book through her. cuz she was really nice and helpful

I didn't mean to imply that you did it intentionally, and I do understand the urgency of your situation. I was just explaining that this is a common occurence for TA's, sometime intentional, sometimes not.

Despite what some say on CC about "never booking through a TA", a good TA is worth his/her weight in gold and there are many people who would never book travel without one.

Ok so this is how it works.

TRavel Agencies and websites such as expedia purchase rooms in advance... or at least hold them until final deposits are due around 90 days before sailing.

For every 8 cabins they buy or hold they get a voyage fare (3-8th passanger free) They either keep those profits which is usually $149-$250 or they can factor ir back in and that is why expedia's price is sometimes $10-$20 cheaper than even NCL's direct website.

Now they also get paid a commission by the cruise line as well.

Now about the aminities, when they book 8 or more cabins it is considered a group cruise. Depending on the sailing, length and cost the group is awarded amenity points. it works like this...

They may be awarded 3 amenity points for the group. It may cost 1 amenity point for a free bottle of champagne and 2 amenity points for $25 OBC for each cabin or maybe 3 amenity points for $50 OBC and the group leader (or a travel site like expedia) gets to pick how they want to "spend" the points that is why you sometimes see or are offered amenities that are not avilable to you directly from NCL.

Hope this helps understand it.:D

I didn't mean to imply that you did it intentionally, and I do understand the urgency of your situation. I was just explaining that this is a common occurence for TA's, sometime intentional, sometimes not.

Despite what some say on CC about "never booking through a TA", a good TA is worth his/her weight in gold and there are many people who would never book travel without one.

i understand! next time i will book with her!

Thanks i understand now :)

Ok so this is how it works.

TRavel Agencies and websites such as expedia purchase rooms in advance... or at least hold them until final deposits are due around 90 days before sailing.

For every 8 cabins they buy or hold they get a voyage fare (3-8th passanger free) They either keep those profits which is usually $149-$250 or they can factor ir back in and that is why expedia's price is sometimes $10-$20 cheaper than even NCL's direct website.

Now they also get paid a commission by the cruise line as well.

Now about the aminities, when they book 8 or more cabins it is considered a group cruise. Depending on the sailing, length and cost the group is awarded amenity points. it works like this...

They may be awarded 3 amenity points for the group. It may cost 1 amenity point for a free bottle of champagne and 2 amenity points for $25 OBC for each cabin or maybe 3 amenity points for $50 OBC and the group leader (or a travel site like expedia) gets to pick how they want to "spend" the points that is why you sometimes see or are offered amenities that are not avilable to you directly from NCL.

Hope this helps understand it.:D

If you really feel bad about it, it's very easy to notify NCL and transfer hte booking to her. it costs you nothing and you have a professional on your side just in case.

That's a great idea. That way the poster doesn't feel bad about not giving the booking to the TA, and the TA will be pleased as punch to get another booking.

I just transferred a booking last week.

It was very simple to do. One e-mail and it was done.

Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by CostaRicaChica

If you really feel bad about it, it's very easy to notify NCL and transfer hte booking to her. it costs you nothing and you have a professional on your side just in case.

That's a great idea. That way the poster doesn't feel bad about not giving the booking to the TA, and the TA will be pleased as punch to get another booking.

I just transferred a booking last week.

It was very simple to do. One e-mail and it was done.

Bill

This won't work unless the other TA (see red above) is willing to give up the booking. She didn't book directly with NCL so she just can't transfer it. At least she knows for next time.

hey hey hey she aint a she, she is a he! lol im a guy!

This won't work unless the other TA (see red above) is willing to give up the booking. She didn't book directly with NCL so she just can't transfer it. At least she knows for next time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CostaRicaChica

Oh yeah that's right. HE booked with that airline.:o

Oh well forget that idea!

Bill

hey hey hey she aint a she, she is a he! lol im a guy!

Sorry!:o I had a 50% chance of being right and still blew it. (I almost did he/she.) I should know better, lol.;)

Although I've never seen a TA charge a fee for booking a cruise, it's definitely something to verify BEFORE you book.

However, there are many TA's who charge a "service" fee if you want to change your cabin or cancel a cruise. The fee is IN ADDITION to whatever the cruise line will charge if you have to cancel your cruise after final payment.

That said, there are many good TA's who DON't charge a change/cancel fee.

Just be sure you have the TA's policy IN WRITING before you book.

Archived