Is it SAFE??

cruiseguyforever

OK. I still believe you will be identified as an American tourist no matter the color of your shoes. It's not rocket science to figure out.

The shoes were just one of many things to consider, but I suspect furthering this discussion would be tantamount to p*$$*ng in the wind. :) :D

Thank you for the last post. I think alot of people on CC are nasty and start fights just to turn others into the the CC police. It has happened twice to me. All I did was to express my oppion. Next thing I know they want to ban me from CC. Oh well I still get some good info from this site.:) Be careful how you say anything on CC as they want only the good stuff on the boards. I think the cruise companys run CC.:confused:

Thank you for the last post. I think alot of people on CC are nasty and start fights just to turn others into the the CC police. It has happened twice to me. All I did was to express my oppion. Next thing I know they want to ban me from CC. Oh well I still get some good info from this site.:) Be careful how you say anything on CC as they want only the good stuff on the boards. I think the cruise companys run CC.:confused:

I think so, too. More than once I have been dragged into something I should have just ignored. Being fairly new to these boards I had no idea what I was getting into and if I knew then what I know now, I would never have gotten involved. On the flip side, there are many friendly, polite and helpful threads on this site that are a pleasure to read and be a part of.

I do not hate Jamaica, in fact, I was looking forward to my visit there and anything I have stated on here is purely for safety's sake. Even if these horrible acts do not happen to tourists, we could possibly be mingling with those who commit them while in port. I am sure the island is beautiful as are many of its people. Maybe I shouldn't care whether complete strangers are aware and honestly, I am shocked at the number of people who don't even research their destinations or even read through the Carnival FAQ's and CC's helpful tips. As for being banned. If it happens, so be it. Much of the info I shared was from this very site or links thereof.

Happy sailing to you Cruiseguy! :)

I really didn't want to go here, but now I feel like I have to defend myself.

I can honestly say, that where I live, and in this country in general I have no fear of a mob killing. This happens, at times, in Jamaica. No arrest, no witness testimony, no trial, just uncivilized vigilante 'justice', murder by citizens. I have read about 4 of them happening in just a few weeks time. The last one was Oct. 15th. One of the murdered was a school teacher. He was murdered because his step-son was a suspect in a murder(the 2 boys below). When is the last time there was a mob killing in your neighborhood? In the US?

A month or two ago, a 8 month pregnant woman was shot(twice in the head) and killed by a police officer when he reproached her for using foul language in public. The baby was not saved and the woman's sister was also shot and survived. When is the last time a local police officer shot a woman in the head for swearing where you live? In the US?

There have been countless missing children mostly aged 9-14. Another 13 year old girl just went missing today. I see report of one about every 3-4 days.

Rape is rampant. For instance, on Sept 26th in St James, near Mo Bay, 5 women were held and brutally raped by two men. One of the females was an 8 year old girl. Not long before that two young boys were kidnapped, sodomized and drown in the river. Official cause of death was drowning, even though the boys were raped to the point of having their insides coming out their ripped anuses.

I could go on all night. These examples are only a drop in the bucket.

I am not being naive by considering my safety. Even the Jamaican officials (and the US gov.)see the dangers. You are the naive one(s)

Ok, this is where youre letting the media get to you too much. Sure, crime is a problem here, but its really not as bad as you think it is. A lot of that happens in communities most people dont find themselves into, much less tourists. As with everywhere in the world, there are bad areas and good.

If I were to use your example of violence being reported in the media and not going to places, I'd never go to colorado much less a cinema there cos I'd be in fear of getting shot :-/.

Ok, this is where youre letting the media get to you too much. Sure, crime is a problem here, but its really not as bad as you think it is. A lot of that happens in communities most people dont find themselves into, much less tourists. As with everywhere in the world, there are bad areas and good.

If I were to use your example of violence being reported in the media and not going to places, I'd never go to colorado much less a cinema there cos I'd be in fear of getting shot :-/.

I don't believe I suggested anywhere that someone should not go to Jamaica. I did say I would not go out of the tourist area unless it was an excursion with a reputable guide and I did suggest one should be cautious and aware of the dangers.

The examples I gave were to make a point, not say this is what will happen(those things have already happened). I don't think that taking precautions for safety is overreacting at all(as implied). Anyone who wants to bury their head in the sand and pretend it is as safe as their own backyard can go right ahead. All I was trying to do was share information I have gathered to help people be safe. Anyone is free to ignore it. Anyone is free to disagree.

I think you may be reading too much into some of the responses. At least mine.

I do not believe Jamaica is as safe as my own back yard. I do feel that worrying about what color shoes you wear is borderline paranoia. But, I also realize that short of putting on a fake accent and completely changing my appearance, I will be recognized as an American tourist. That does not mean that I don't take precautions and walk about with my head in the clouds.

Hopefully this response is not p*$$*ng in the wind............;)

I'd never say jamaica is a very safe place, however, all it takes to be safe is just some common sense and not do things here you wouldnt normally do in places you dont know.

As far as being recognised as a tourist, that'll happen no matter what you do, they stand out, besides the colour of their shoes. Its also about how visitors dress here, how they interact, an well, the colour of your skin.

Ive lived here all my life and sometimes I still get confused for a tourist whenever I visit the touristy areas lol, well until I talk to them, then they realise and act normal lol.....and I never wear nice clean white tennis shoes.

Archived