star princess

princess44

We are booked for a cruise on the Star Princess in March 06, sailed on the Golden 1/04----loved it!

We are booked to stay on Baja mid ship with balcony. Any suggestions or words of wisdom about this ship? We wanted to take sodas onboard, is this allowed?

I seem to remember people carrying on water on our last (first) cruise, does anyone know about this?

Also, we are going to the Western Carribean, what is the weather like at that time of year?

Thanks for any advise!!

Lets start with the weather first. The temps should be in the 80's at most ports. Princess Cay will be a little cooler weatherwise and water temp wise.

Baha - Great deck. Fully covered balcony, but that does not mean you cannot get sun during the day.:) You only have to go up one flight of stairs and head aft and you will be at the adult pool, near HC, the hot tubs, plenty of deck space and I think its the Outrigger Bar area. Mens and ladies room nearby, and great service from the waiter/waitresses.:)

Water does cost extra, so if you wish, bring along some of your own if you tend to drink it alot. We brought a couple of small bottles for taking pills and making coffee. We did bring two bottles of wine each and our TA also sent one to our cabin:) I don't know how many of you are going, but you can buy the soda card (coke products) at $25pp and drink soda to your hearts content. No limit, etc. We do this and they loose money on us, that is fershure:D

You will love the Grand. We just did the Star and hoping to do Golden next year although she is out of SJU. Depends on flight times and prices.

We are booked for a cruise on the Star Princess in March 06, sailed on the Golden 1/04----loved it!

We wanted to take sodas onboard, is this allowed?

I seem to remember people carrying on water on our last (first) cruise, does anyone know about this?

QUOTE]

I just got off the Star on Sunday after a 14 day transatlantic. Great ship; you'll love it! We're not big on water, so only carried on 4 small bottles. We are Pepsi drinkers; not a lot, but prefer caffeine free Diet Pepsi. We therefore carried on a twelve pack. We are huge coffee drinkers and brought our own one cup brewer with both Starbucks decaf and Hawaiian Macadamia regular. Princess coffee is awful but is a little better if you dilute it with hot water.

Arlene

We sailed on the Star from LA to Sydney for 25 days. You will enjoy this ship completely. I also recommend if you are a Coke drinker to purchase a soda card. Very economical, no hassle way of getting fountain soda almost anywhere during the cruise.

If you drink something other than Coke products, you can safely carry on your choice of soda. Soda, water and wine are completely allowed to be carried on so you won't have a problem.

Enjoy your second cruise!

Thanks for your response Arlene. We are Diet Pepsi drinkers as well....couldn't wait to have one after the last cruise. I'll know better for my next cruise.....can't wait to be onboard again.

We will only be sailing for 7 days.....looking forward to a 14 day cruise. My husband and I made a deal that we will go on a least one cruise a year from now on!

Hey there... we will be sailing with you on the same cruise. As you can see below I was on the Grand some 1000 days ago. It's been too long. If I am not mistaken it leaves on March 5th and not 6th (you may want to check that out). It should be a blast. Can't wait! :D

We sailed on the Star last month and absolutely loved the ship. We were Baja forward. Good deck. Balcony is a bit small, but we didn't mind a bit. It is completely covered. We have sailed on 2 other Grand Class ships....the Golden (twice) which we liked a lot and the Caribbean Princess which we did not. Even though the Star and Golden are almost twins, there is something about the Star that makes it even better. A very happy crew, for one thing, and that makes for a pleasant cruise. Hope you will have the same experience. As for the Western Carib., it is always hot there.

We sailed on the Star last month and absolutely loved the ship. We were Baja forward. Good deck. Balcony is a bit small, but we didn't mind a bit. It is completely covered. We have sailed on 2 other Grand Class ships....the Golden (twice) which we liked a lot and the Caribbean Princess which we did not. Even though the Star and Golden are almost twins, there is something about the Star that makes it even better. A very happy crew, for one thing, and that makes for a pleasant cruise. Hope you will have the same experience. As for the Western Carib., it is always hot there.

We really liked the Golden as well. We were on Emerald Deck with balcony - I thought was a large one and covered...didn't get much sun though. Loved the deck even though we were directly above the Princess theater....didn't hear a thing!

Do you get any sun on Baja? And when you say small, how small?

Also, someone advised me that if you are toward the front of the ship, you are more likely to feel more motion than if you are toward the center of the ship....is this true?

Thanks for your help!

We really liked the Golden as well. We were on Emerald Deck with balcony - I thought was a large one and covered...didn't get much sun though. Loved the deck even though we were directly above the Princess theater....didn't hear a thing!

Do you get any sun on Baja? And when you say small, how small?

Also, someone advised me that if you are toward the front of the ship, you are more likely to feel more motion than if you are toward the center of the ship....is this true?

Thanks for your help!

There were times when the balcony was sunny, but we are not sun worshipers so we stayed off during those times. We had a small round table with 2 straight chairs. The chairs were very uncomfortable, so we requested 2 armed chairs. They promptly honored our request so we had arm chairs with cushions. Even with the larger chairs we were quite comfortable on the balcony. Even had breakfast there. Not sure if you could fit one lounge chair with the others. It was our first forward balcony....we were 4th cabin in from the bow. We booked last minute and it was all that was left. There was little traffic in the hallway except for crew so it was very quiet. It was practically motionless and we actually missed the gentle rocking of the ship!!! The seas were calm, but even so this ship was exceptionally stable. But as a rule, you feel less motion midship. We sailed on her the last week of April '05.

We were just on the Star in March 05. My son brought a suitcase that had nothing but soda and water in it and a bottle of booze. It was enough to last the week. By the end of the cruise he had an empty suitcase to fill with all the stuff he and the family acquired. He said he had more booze going home than when he got on the ship to last him a while. He even got the liquor that came from our bar setup that we get as elite passengers. Anyway, I would recommend bringing your own if you can. We usually wait until we get to Fort Lauderdale to get our water.

I stayed midship Baja deck last November...had a wonderful time but as somebody mentioned earlier the deck is not that big. Perfect size to have some coffe in the morning or some drinks at night and watch the ocean. When I wanted to tan I just went to the pool. I would say bring your own water, the water from room service is a little pricey. I brought my own and ran out...I want to say the big bottle was about 5.00 if I remember correctly

We sailed to the eastern Caribbean in Feb. on the Star. We loved this ship and had a great week. As for water...we carried on a 12 pack and noone said a word. Then we bought 2 more 6 packs of water in St. Thomas. We also brought on two bottles of alcohol and no one said a word to us. We packed the alcohol in our checked luggage. Have a wonderful cruise.:)

Archived