Wifi

gypsylady

I brought my own laptop and I've brought my IPad and I end up using the ships computers most of the time. I don't want to accrue huge roaming bills with the Ipad and the internet was so slow on my laptop it was just easier to use the ships computers for the few times I needed to check my email.

My Ipad was great for when we were in port and I could get free wifi on my balcony, but it was still slower than home.

There are packages, don't recall how much because it has been almost 2 years since I sailed NCL.

Good question! I will be on the Jewel in a few weeks and I was wondering the same thing. Also we are with AT&T...just got the new Galaxy S3. Will we be able to make and receive calls? texts? I have a laptop too....will there be wifi for a "reasonable" price? What if I just bring my own data card? THey can't charge me to use THEIR data if I bring my own usb-DATA card right? So many "noob" questions...LOL!!!:)

Cellular at Sea: http://www2.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-cellular-phone-service-texting

Wifi from the Ship: http://www2.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

POA is a bit different in that you can normally use your own cell plan (not an international plan), but you need to make sure the cell towers you're using are not the ship's.

By the way, the cheapest internet plan is 40 cents a minute, and the service is slower than Starbucks during a free coffee giveaway.

I can only speak for Verizon. Texts (SMS only) are .05c for each received and .50c for each sent, while at sea and on the ship's cell tower. WIFI is furnished by the ship and must be purchased in minute blocks. It's fairly expensive and pretty slow. It won't handle most functions requiring high speed. Mostly only good for email. Reference data, check very, very carefully with you provider because data, once roaming and away from shore or in a foreign port, can give you a phone bill that you will not believe. We're talking hundreds. Most data plans are only good for domestic use. If you are not sure, as soon as the ship leaves port, turn you phone to "data" or "data while roaming" OFF. Check with your provider. For calls, celluar at sea call service, which the various providers contract through the cruise lines on your cell phone, will be $2.50 a minute.....which is still a lot cheaper than using the ship's phone service.

Good question! I will be on the Jewel in a few weeks and I was wondering the same thing. Also we are with AT&T...just got the new Galaxy S3. Will we be able to make and receive calls? texts? I have a laptop too....will there be wifi for a "reasonable" price? What if I just bring my own data card? THey can't charge me to use THEIR data if I bring my own usb-DATA card right? So many "noob" questions...LOL!!!:)

My DH has the Galaxy S3. :) He really likes it.

For the Jewel, make any calls while you're in NYC and off the ship, and while you're in Port Canaveral and off the ship. Past that point in the cruise, it will be extremely expensive. Turn on airplane mode and just use the camera and alarm clock once you get on the ship to leave Port Canaveral. *grin*

Archived