Dec. 30 Explorer of the seas

wlbskm

Maybe some tour companies have reduced staffing for the holidays too, so don't offer tours? I'm wondering about these winter crusies from the north...you must be going mostly for the interior activites in the ship? Does it just go to the Bahamas and then back to Baltimore? Well, I guess I'd prefer it to cooking for the inlaws;):D

We did a seven-nighter on Explorer this past December 30th out of New Jersey. The beach excursions, unfortunately, are very limited in Port Canaveral (if that's where you're going) and Nassau. In Nassau, you can get a day pass at several hotels, many of which are very nice. We did the Sheraton on Cable Beach two years ago and really enjoyed it. We paid $25 per person (plus $20 each way for a cab); this included use of all of their facilities. I know the Wyndham, which is next door, also offers day passes. The Hilton too offers day passes and is much closer to port, but it is more expensive.

By the way, it is definitely warm enough to swim (given a warm day/week) in January. We swam in the pool on the ship and sat in the warm sun while in the Bahamas. It was high 70s to low 80s while we were in Florida and Nassau, although a Nor'easter did drastically reduce the temperature on our final day in Nassau.

Explorer is a great ship, and we had a great time on New Year's. I know you will too!

We were on the same cruise as Mets. (Last year's New Year's Cruise)

Port Canaveral is New Years Day, so many places are closed. You could take a cab to Cocoa Beach. Or, go to Kennedy Space Center. Theme Parks are a bit more difficult because the ship doesn't dock until 1pm, and it takes over an hour to get there, and on a holiday, it gets very crowded or even sold out. (We ended up staying on the ship and enjoying the pool/ship).

In Nassau, we just walked around town in the port area. We found a map online for a self-guided walking tour. We'd been to the Sheridan at Cable Beach in the past, and would definitely recommend the day pass....we went by bus for $1 pp each way. The Wyndam is more expensive because it includes lunch with the day pass.

Excursions sold out very quickly, so if you see something you like, book it online. Very little was available once onboard our cruise.

Really, this cruise is not about the itinerary at all. The New Year's Eve party on the promenade is outstanding! And the atmopshere onboard is wonderful. We spent a lot of time indoors on this cruise, so bring books, board games, puzzles, etc.

Maybe some tour companies have reduced staffing for the holidays too, so don't offer tours? I'm wondering about these winter crusies from the north...you must be going mostly for the interior activites in the ship? Does it just go to the Bahamas and then back to Baltimore? Well, I guess I'd prefer it to cooking for the inlaws;):D

Explorer sails in and out of Cape Liberty, NJ (not Baltimore). ;)

This holiday itinerary calls on Port Canaveral on New Years Day, Nassau and CocoCay. We missed CocoCay due to an approaching nor'easter, so we stayed overnight in Nassau instead. Only two of the days had warm weather. But it was still a fun cruise, even though it was mostly spent indoors.

We did do a NYE Bahamas cruise a couple of years ago and booked with Barefoot Sailing charters as our excursion. They still went out, but it was WAY too cold to swim! I got in the water for a minute when they stopped at the snorkeling site but I quickly got back out :)

Do some research outside of the ship, but it is definitely chilly for any water activities :)

I found some excursions from a private company bahama cruise excursions. Some sound fun. How do you book the Sheridan day pass

I think you can call or do it online, but it is not any cheaper to do beforehand and they do not sell out of passes. Plus, if it rains, I doubt you'd get your money back if you purchase in advance. We took a cab to the hotel and purchased guest passes at the front desk. Very simple, and the hotel was beautiful as well. They also have a heated pool there, which is especially nice in December/January.

Archived