which port has the best price for jewelry? Other Tips!

goldie888

Please give any tip on where to buy jewelry. I thought I did well in Nassau but later found out I paid too much. And in Aruba, I found out I missed out on buying this beautiful purple-pink tourmaline ring set in diamonds for less than $500. Sad!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goldie888:

Please give any tip on where to buy jewelry. I thought I did well in Nassau but later found out I paid too much. And in Aruba, I found out I missed out on buying this beautiful purple-pink tourmaline ring set in diamonds for less than $500. Sad!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, myself,would not buy jewelry in a port today unless you know your jewelry.I have seen to many people getting ripped off just as you did in Nassau. If you had to buy something I would keep it just to gold,make sure it is marked as such.Aruba would be my only choice for looking,and Bermuda has some good stores although not cheap you only save duty and tax.Just check with a good store at home to get a sense of prices,and maybe what to look for.There are a lot of"fakes" out there today,and they are good looking until you get home and find out what you have. Buyer Beware!!This is just MHO.

Karen

Ü

Thanks Karen. While on the cruise, I do tend to buy on impulse. This last cruise on the 13 day repo on the Crown, I ended up buying a pendant or two in each port and on the ship.

I am usually a savvy consumer on other purchases but not yet wise when it come to sparkly gems.

Is St. Thomas a good place to buy jewelry?

As an avid cruiser, I can tell you that ST.Thomas would not be my choice for jewelry. I scanned many of the shops in ST.Thomas and I was not impressed by their prices. What I did find was that ST.Marteen/Martin has jewelry stores on front street that I found to be the best bang for the buck. I purchased a wedding band there in 1994 for $109.00. It was appraised here in the states for almost $300.00. It was an 18ct. gold piece. What I liked even more about it is the store(Jewelry Haven) has a locale in New York City. I've been to most of the islands and they sport most of the same things, however, I was impressed the most in ST.Marteen. They are just as flooded with shops for all types of merchandise, and the prices are certainly fair. This is just my opinion. There is alot of other pax that may have a very informative opinion as well. Use cc to take it all in and enjoy all the information.

JCruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;4;25;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CRUIZ'IN & BOOZ'IN IS WHAT WE'RE CHOOZ'IN

Next up..."Carnival Destiny"...4/25/04

Thanks again. I intend to learn as much as possible about jewelry shopping before my next cruise.

Just this last cruise in late March, while walking down Bay Street in Nassau, I saw a very posh jewelry store with big 75% off signs all over the shop. And yet there were no shopper in it. Althougt I was tempted by the sale signs, I was afraid to go into the store.

There are very many inmitation gems out there, it is hard to tell what you are buying. And even with the recommended stores by the ship, I am still unsure with buying big price items.

Keep all the tips coming please. I also had bad experience buying silver in Cozumel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goldie888:

Thanks Karen. While on the cruise, I do tend to buy on impulse. This last cruise on the 13 day repo on the Crown, I ended up buying a pendant or two in each port and on the ship.

I am usually a savvy consumer on other purchases but not yet wise when it come to sparkly gems.

Is St. Thomas a good place to buy jewelry?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A big resounding NO!!! Duck tape your hands!!!

Years ago the island offered a reduced price in good jewelry,but now you can buy the same here in the US.If you don't know your jewelry this is where you get taken and the shops rely on people going "ohhhh I love it."I personally know several women who spent big bucks in St.Thomas on emeralds only to come home and find they were far less than what was paid and in one case it was just green glass.It IS fun to shop on a trip,but I put the warning up just a a caution so no gets ripped off.If someone does post on the board that they has a good experience and at a certain shop then I would check that out.No matter...have fun...icon_smile.gif

Karen

Ü

I purchased a white gold and tanzanite ring in Nassau a little more than 2 years ago.

Several months later, the tanzanite stone fell out. I was just sick.

It was several months before I could afford to have another stone put in the setting, which I adore.

I had a jeweler put an amethyst in the setting. It was hard to find an acceptable stone and it cost quite a bit because the setting was a non-standard size. It was explained to me that setting sizes are much like picture frames (there are standard measurements/sizes).

Not trying to talk anybody out of making a jewelry purchase in the Caribbean; I have other jewelry pieces that are just fine. I just want to make folks aware of potential problems.

T

Hi All,

Vanclan...There are several reputable shops in Mexico to buy silve pieces. Whatever you do, just don't buy any silver on the beach!!! Let me know what part of Mexico and I can give you better advice.

To ALL...Be aware of purchasing any jewelry on any of the beaches in the caribbean islands. You may think the price is better than the mall shops and stores, but I can tell you that 99% of it is imitation. Stick to the more established areas and shops if you plan to buy jewelry. I personally don't recommend purchasing jewelry in the islands, unless you know what to look for. Ask the jewelry store employee if there is an appraiser close by, sometimes this helps.

Also...Remember, island jewelry stores raise prices when the cruise ships are in port. They know if you see something you like, you will be more likely to buy it due to your short visit and stay. The first question they ask you when you walk in a particular jewelry store is..."Are you off the ship"? Sometimes, if you tell them no, just be sure you know of a reputable island resort to tell them where you are staying.

JCruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;4;25;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CRUIZ'IN & BOOZ'IN IS WHAT WE'RE CHOOZ'IN

The bad experience in Cozumel was mainly pricing and bad salesmanship. My husband and I spend 6 hours shopping along the downtown area buying blankets and silver jewelry. I did buy a beautiful Tourmaline pendant for $35 US.

I had always wanted a nice thick and long silver chain, so we went looking for one. In this one jewelry shop, I found one that I liked but without a price tag. After asking for a price check and discovered $80 US was more than I like to pay. I started to walk away, but the clerk was ranting about having wasted his time checking the price for us and we aren't really interested after all. My husband was so embarressed at this point, he felt obligated to negoiate a price. I wished we had just ran off and left the stressful situation behind.

The chain was bought for $50 US and I found out later silver chains are really not that expensive back home.

I recommend going to the Island information meeting they have on board the cruise ships before shopping. They will hand out maps and coupons. The ship will back the jewelry, you buy at the recommended shops. If you go home and get an appraisal from a jewelry piece, if it doesn't meet or beat the price you paid, the ship will help you. So, I highly suggest buying from their list!!!! I have been happy with the quality of the few pieces I have purchased ( Cozumel and Grand Cayman ). No nothing about St. Martin jewelry but don't care much for the Island. Will always plan on skipping it.

I know nothing about diamonds, but if you're after gold, my rule of thumb is if you can get it for under $10/gram you're doing well. If you can't don't buy it. I bought a 55 gram gold necklace in Cozumel for $450. It took me several rounds of bartering as we started at $750, but usually if you ask what their price per gram is for gold, they will know you know what you're doing.

Peter

Thanks to all,

I am so bad at bartering. At St. Thomas, a beautiful garnet pendant caught my eyes. When I found out it was $75, I did asked the clerk rather that is the price she can offer me. She said yes and that was the price I paid.

Just exactly how much discount on jewelry when sold at duty and tax free in all these free ports, as compare to US prices ?

Thanks to all,

I am so bad at bartering. At St. Thomas, a beautiful garnet pendant caught my eyes. When I found out it was $75, I did asked the clerk rather that is the price she can offer me. She said yes and that was the price I paid.

Just exactly how much discount on jewelry when sold at duty and tax free in all these free ports, as compare to US prices ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest with you..you really do not save that much in duty and tax on jewelry.Some yes..a lot,no.I have seen people come into a really good store in Bermuda demanding to buy a Rolex at a very cheap price as they were told on the ship they could..they can't.They may save a few hundred dollars,but that is all.The same goes for other places although IMHO some are really bad shops. The markup in jewelry is VERY high even in the states.So, if you see something at home you really like figure out the cost it would be if you bought it here tax etc., and then if you see something you really like at a shop on a cruise check it out and see if you would save a lot ot not,and how it is made,the amount of gold or silver and then go from there.I have never figured out what the lure is to buying jewelry in the islands..always remember the mantra..Buyer Beware!!

Karen

Ü

Thanks again ! I have started my research online and found a few web sites related to Caribbean shopping. When I compared prices at home and online for jewelry(free ports vs regular), I have concluded that I did quite well on my recent cruise.

Diamond International and Cardow both have good websites.

We've had good luck in St. Thomas, Ocho Rios and Curacao. But as always, it is buyer beware.

icon_cool.gif

Happy Cruising!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;19;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

HAL Zaandam - June 2004

HAL Rotterdam - Jan 2004

RCI Enchantment - Mar 2003

Sun Princess - Sep 2002

Celebrity Millennium - Feb 2002

RCI Radiance - Apr 2001

Sea Princess - Jan 2001

HAL Veendam - Jun 2000

HAL Veendam - Feb 1999

Carnival Inspiration - Apr 1997

Hey, if you go to Cozumel--go inland about 5 blocks from the Viva Mexico store (on the main drag) This is the Mexican market--for locals--very very good prices and when you bargin down, its WELL worth the time to go there. In fact, we found lots of neat stores around the market, you might be the only Anglin there but will feel safe and everyone is truly friendly and they don't seem to have that fakey type smile across their faces. We found the market very clean and it had a lot of things that just can't be found in the typical touristy places near the docks. Good shopping!!!! icon_smile.gif

• 6 months later...

Here are a few shopping tips.

1. Research jewelry prices and qualities prior to your trip. There is a LOT of information available on the internet. An informed consumer always comes outahead.

2. Practice haggling prices with your family at home. Dont be shy. You aren't taking advantage or being rude. It's the way it's done here.

3. Here is a tip that REALLY works. Wear a t shirt from the cruise-critic, the ***** appraisers, travel site boards etc. During the sale let the shop owner know you are vocal on the internet about travel and jewelry. Believe me, when I have a person contact me with a problem with a jewelry purchase and it was discussed online, I print out the info and bring it into the managers office with me. It does carry weight.

4. Make all purchases with a credit card. You can get a discount by paying in cash but if there is a problem and you need a refund it can be a hastle. Our company works closely with the credit card companies prividing the documentation needed. If it's case of buyers remorse theres not a lot that can be done. If the item isn't what was promised or there is a problem with workmanship we can be helpful. In general we just want to be fair all around to everyone.

5. Ask what the return policy is of the company. The policy should be clearly printed out on the reciept. Remember that there is no law regarding returns, but a company that believes in it's merchandise will be confident and offer a return policy.

6. NEVER accept the jewelers appraisal of the item. They may be biased. Insist on documentation from an Independent Appraiser. In St Thomas our office does Independent Appraisals. ***** has a complete gemological lab staffed with GIA graduate Gemolists and Appraisers. We do not buy or sell jewelry of any kind. By getting your item checked prior to leaving the island all problems can be dealt with then and there. Many shoppers will make the final sale contingent on evaluation of our Gemologist/Appraiser. Any jeweler who states this is not neccesary should cause a red flag to go off.

7. If you have problems in the islands contact the store first. Most of the time it is simple to resolve the problem. A merchant that values customers wants to keep you happy. Most pride themselves on repeat customers year after year. People won't come back if they bought 2nd rate merchandise or were treated badly.

8. If after contacting the store you still have problems

A. get all of your documentation togehter. B. Contact your crerdit card company. C. Contact the ***** office. D. Send letters to your cruiseline.

9. On a positive note: If you purchased an item, were happy and did well LET PEOPLE KNOW! Over the years we've done documentation for thousands of people who shopped well and got incredible deals. The number of problems was generally low. In most cases the problem was easily resolved with communication and documentation.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

I really liked St. Thomas, although I did NOT shop in the reccomended shops...turns out that they pay the cruise line to reccomend them..at least that's what I was told...take that for what it's worth...

I MUCH prefered St. Martin though...better prices, better selection...but do NOT buy jewelry if you don't know gems...you can EASILY get ripped off. I bring my own loupe with me...not only do I avoid the "I'm sorry, I don't have a loupe available" from the jewelers, I also show that I have at least some idea of what I'm looking at

I guess we've been lucky. We have bought jewellery at both St. Thomas and Cozumel along with several others in our group. We all had the jewellery appraised when we got home and were very, very pleasantly surprised that the items were valued at a much higher price than we paid, even when taken the exchange on the money into account. You have to also be able to recognize quality jewellery.

Archived