Currency query for Pacific Islands

Can someone please tell me the best form of currency for New Caledonia, Port Vila, Suva. Travelling on the Oosterdam in March 2013.

In Port Vila and Suva we have only used Aussie dollars in our many visits. They are readily accepted, even in places like a pharmacy. Taxis take AUD, but when you are bargaining in Fiji, stipulate that you mean AUD not FJD which are worth much less.

Aussie dollars are accepted in some places in New Caledonia, but if you want to go in a taxi, public bus or visit the aquarium or the gardens, you will need Pacific francs.

Most of the time, you will be able to use AUD in the touristy parts of Fiji and Vila as they see plenty of Oz buyers/holidaymakers there. You lose on the exchange rate, but I look at it as part of my foreign aid offering to developing nations. For larger purchases (eg the duty free "department stores" in Fiji) though, I always put in on my credit card at the local price (not their bloated AUD offering) and leave it to my credit card provider to do the rate convestion.

But in Noumea, you really need to have Central Pacific Francs if you want to go anywhere other than the market traders. Oz$ don't cut it in Noumea. Easy to get though ... there is a money changer at the cruise terminal who will sell you Central Pacific Francs when you arrive and buy back your leftovers before you reboard. Just like say Travelex there is a cost of course.

Cheer

Bob

The above two posts sum it up well -- if you are paying in anything other than the native currency, just clarify first.

I had no issues paying AUD, however larger/duty free purchases I did make on the CC. Two people in our group did have some minor issues as they were under the impression their taxi/tour was 50 Fijian, and it turned out to be 50 AUD. Just clarify first the price in the applicable currency.

Have a great trip :)

We used AUS $$ everywhere we went....in fact in Noumea we went to the local supermarket and the prices of the items aredisplayed in Pacific Francs and in AUD$$ as well. You will receive your change in Francs though. We did not travel on the local bus, but we did get the petite train from the tourist centre...this was also in AUD$$.

We used AUS $$ everywhere we went....in fact in Noumea we went to the local supermarket and the prices of the items aredisplayed in Pacific Francs and in AUD$$ as well. You will receive your change in Francs though. We did not travel on the local bus, but we did get the petite train from the tourist centre...this was also in AUD$$.

We shopped at a supermarket in Port Vila. They would take Aus paper money, but weren't allowed to take coins - eg $1 and $2 coins - so we paid with our trusty 28 degrees card. It actually was a lot cheaper than what they quoted in Aussie dollars. :)

We shopped at a supermarket in Port Vila. They would take Aus paper money, but weren't allowed to take coins - eg $1 and $2 coins - so we paid with our trusty 28 degrees card. It actually was a lot cheaper than what they quoted in Aussie dollars. :)

Just for interest's sake........ Following on from the above - just did a conversion...... They were going to charge us 21 AUD. The price charged to our 28 degree card was 1755 vatu. (28 Degrees don't charge an exchange fee.)

1,755.00 VUV = 18.9047 AUD

Ni-Vanuatu Vatu ↔ Australian Dollar

Archived