FCO to Port via Maccarese-Fregene

Scrappytraveller

A member of my roll call suggested taking a short taxi ride from FCO to the Maccarese-Fregene train station, and then a regional train to the port.

This seems like a great idea, but it has me wondering why nobody seems to do it (based on the posts here and many internet searches). It would be faster than backtracking to Rome and changing trains.

I can see the downside being you would need to be able to jump on the train quickly with your luggage, and you may have to stand with your luggage because the regional trains don't have storage space. The ride would be 35-45 minutes, depending on which train you catch.

Has anyone done this who could share their experience? Am I missing something that makes this idea too good to be true?

(Please no suggestions to hire a private driver, the cost is simply to high for a solo traveller)

You can do it but the reason you don't see it suggested here is the cost. Generally folks looking to take the train are choosing it as a cost saving option.

A taxi from the airport to the Maccarese-Fregene station would cost about 50 Euro (it's about 25k, @Euro 1,30, plus the airport tax, luggage fees, etc.). With luggage you'll only be able to put three people in a taxi, so figure with tip about 15 - 20 Euro each for the cab.

Total cost for a single traveler would be 50 Euro + 3 Euro train fare, vs. 11 Euro for the train right from the airport.

Maybe a little more information will make sense of this for you.

You can make a map of the station using these coordinates: 41.879267,12.237697. There are two ways to get there, by highway or back roads. The highway is about 5k longer in distance, but will be a lot faster. Either way the taxi fare will work out about the same.

If you make the map you'll see the problem, you've got to get all the way around the airport to get to this train station. It may seem like a "short taxi ride", but it's really not.

Archived